Thanks Barack… 3 West Virginia Coal Plants to Close

Better then their children dying from coal plant pollution. When you include health and environmental costs coal costs 2 time more then green energy and green energy create 3 times more jobs

No one ever died from living near a coal plant. No one has ever even gotten sick.

Actually 30,000 people a year die due to living near a coal plant
Life-cycle study: Accounting for total harm from coal would add "close to 17.8¢/kWh of electricity generated" | ThinkProgress
When you include health and environmental costs, coal is even cheaper in comparison to green energy. A reliable source of energy prevents food from spoiling and hospitals from shutting down.
Electricity from solar/wind keeps refrigerates working and hospitals open the same as coal you thinking else wise is just more evidence to your vast ignorance.

Coal Does More Harm Than Good in Kentucky: $62 Million for Asthma Costs, $10 Billion for Lost Lives | ThinkProgress
^Another study finds that coal mining in Kentucky has a negative impact overall on the economy

Economists: Coal Is Incredibly Costly | ThinkProgress
^New study finds that Coal and Oil are more costly then renewable energy once health and environmental effects are included.

Life-cycle study: Accounting for total harm from coal would add "close to 17.8¢/kWh of electricity generated" | ThinkProgress
^New study fines that Coals negative effect on human health and the environmental cost the nation at least 125% more than the electricity generated from coal.
^Coal results in at least 30,000 American deaths each year.

The claim that green energy "creates three times more jobs" means it's 1/3 as efficient in terms of labor costs.
Has shown above fossil fuels cost 2 times more then green energy.
And green energy create 3 times more jobs
The Economic Benefits of Investing in Clean Energy

Oh hell, now you went and brought verifiable FACTS into a debate with bripat. Crap, now he'll Cut & Run. And I had several other studies to verify the same thing, specifically in the counties where those plants were located!
Knew I shouldn't have sandbagged and waited for him to address a reasonable posts. Wadday expect from whackjobs? :lol:

Um, your article doesn't mention how most of those employees were offered spots at FirstEnergy's other plants. Besides, demand for coal powered electricity will fall as cities realize that clean energy isn't actually that much more expensive.
And FirstEnergy could take the matter into court. They chose to close instead. No question however, the rules & regs are smothering some US businesses.

No one ever died from living near a coal plant. No one has ever even gotten sick.

Electricity from solar/wind keeps refrigerates working and hospitals open the same as coal you thinking else wise is just more evidence to your vast ignorance.

Coal Does More Harm Than Good in Kentucky: $62 Million for Asthma Costs, $10 Billion for Lost Lives | ThinkProgress
^Another study finds that coal mining in Kentucky has a negative impact overall on the economy

^New study finds that Coal and Oil are more costly then renewable energy once health and environmental effects are included.

^New study fines that Coals negative effect on human health and the environmental cost the nation at least 125% more than the electricity generated from coal.

The claim that green energy "creates three times more jobs" means it's 1/3 as efficient in terms of labor costs.

Oh hell, now you went and brought verifiable FACTS into a debate with bripat. Crap, now he'll Cut & Run. And I had several other studies to verify the same thing, specifically in the counties where those plants were located!
Knew I shouldn't have sandbagged and waited for him to address a reasonable posts. Wadday expect from whackjobs? :lol:

Don't forget Daveman and Big Fitz.

He's a "technician," which means he changes a light bulb or greases a pump in the facility. The idea that he knows why management makes a decision to decommission a perfectly good power plant doesn't pass the laugh test.

Even if that was all I did would be about 100% more than what you've ever done, right?

And by the way, these wdere NOT "perfectly good power plants". They were old, decrepit, run down plants that were only used for peaking.

You won't find any "perfectly good power plants" closing down.
And yet you somehow manage to not have a response to the engineer who says you're wrong, even though you asked for it.

Actually, I find Big Fitz to be among the best posters here. He doesn't insult unless insulted first (that Ive seen), speaks from knowledge and supports his assertations. Of course he's wrong whenever he disagrees with me :eusa_whistle: but I can forgive that.
He has actually influenced my opinion on a couple issues with reason and logic.
Whereas the whackjobs never influence anyone at all.

He's a "technician," which means he changes a light bulb or greases a pump in the facility. The idea that he knows why management makes a decision to decommission a perfectly good power plant doesn't pass the laugh test.

Even if that was all I did would be about 100% more than what you've ever done, right?

And by the way, these wdere NOT "perfectly good power plants". They were old, decrepit, run down plants that were only used for peaking.

You won't find any "perfectly good power plants" closing down.
And yet you somehow manage to not have a response to the engineer who says you're wrong, even though you asked for it.

Did I ask for a response from an engineer or another power plant technician? Hell, there are lots of engineers. I would not ask advice from say.... a highway engineer on what power plants should be shut down. And we shouldn't need one. If they are old an inefficient common sense would dictate that it's time to retire them

So do you ever have anything more substantive to offer than puerile insults or is that the extent of your interactive abilities? Honestly, I don't know that I've ever seen you once reply to someone with a differing opinion, in which you acknowledged the possibility that any opinion other than your own could be valid or (heaven forbid!) that you were ever just wrong about something. Perhaps that's just who you are. If so, you're not alone.

I generally only respond when I see stuff that is positively idiotic, so it's no surprise that I disagree with everything I respond to. That's the whole point of this forum, isn't it?

You obviously didn't read the posts where I already answered the issues you raised. However, despite your laziness, I'll repeat myself.

So you have a BSME. That's fine. I'm a business guy myself (although through weird circumstances, my major ended up being theology). Let's discuss or clarify what seems to be your assertations.

It is a fact that the plants being closed are very old and use archaic technology. They also produce less than 1% of the power generated in the area. You seem to think this is a conspiracy by Obama (c'mon seriously???) and not just a matter of a cost / benefit analysis that determined it would be cheaper to close them and shift production or open new facilities. Care to back that up with say, facts? Evidence?

Not even Lisa Jackson, the head of the EPA, contests the point that utilities are shutting down over 100 coal fired power plants because of new EPA regulations on Mercury, so I don't understand why you think this argument is a winner. It's obviously wrong. The new EPA regulations are what make the cost/benefit analysis negative. It was positive prior to the regulations.

Your claim that they are "old" or "archaic" is irrelevant. Boiler technology has been around for about 200 years now. It was well developed at the turn of the century because of the railroad industry. There certainly haven't been any radical improvements in the last 50 years.

The 1% argument is also idiotic. Peak power is always going to be a small fraction of the total power generated. That's the nature of peak power. It's only needed for about 4 hours a day during the summer months. The rest of the time it can be shut down. That is precisely the task that you would want to assign your most polluting power plants to. You don't want to use them for baseline power and have them running all day. Likewise, Why build an entire new power plant to use for a very small percentage of your total power generation? What that means is spending large amounts of money on equipment with low utilization. That's also economic stupidity.

You have also asserted that the new regs do nothing to protect the lives of those living in the area or reduce the measured & verified heightened incidence of lung and other disease in the areas where these plants are located. As far as I know, the regs require that less measurable toxins be produced. Counterpoint?

When someone can produce evidence that anyone has ever died or gotten sick as a result of living near a coal fire power plant, then you might have an argument. There is no "verified heightened incidence of lung and other disease in the areas where these plants are located." Not even the EPA makes that claim. Furthermore, Mercury does not cause lung cancer.

Now the only reason peakers are used is for pure economics. We had a couple of old units that were used for peaking (after deregulation) but then we decided to mothball them and build new natural gas units that did not have to be constantly manned yet could be used when the national megawatt price exceeded $50.

In other words, deregulation didn't change a thing: utilities still need peaking plants. The fact that it may make sense to replace one power plant with a new doesn't mean it makes sense to replace another.

Simply put, it does not make good economic sense to use old, worn out power plants for peaking since they are off line much more than on, draw lots of power when they're off and need to be constantly manned and maintained.

IMO the power company execs had already planned to shut these units down. That's the only thing that makes sense.

Why should a power plant draw power when it's offline? Also, I'm sure they need to be manned during the summer months, but I doubt they need more than a skeleton crew the rest of the year.

It they weren't cost effective, then why did the utilities keep them online until the EPA imposed new regulations which require them to be upgraded? You are implying that the managers of these utilities are stupid. Somehow, I think they know a thing or two more than you know.

The original poster is a tool. Shutting down old coal plants that cause massive pollution is a good thing. Coal plants/mining in the Appalachia region costs the region 5 times more then the economic benefits of the mining

Another libturd moron pulling stuff out of his ass.

http://appalachiarising.org/press-and-bloggers/factsheet-on-mountaintop-removal-coal-mining/
Unemployment rates and Surface Mining in Appalachia | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
^1)A 2009 report estimates that mountaintop coal mining costs Appalachia five times more than the benefits it receives from mountaintop mining. 42 billion to 8 billion.
^2) residents in major mining locations had a 70% higher chance of having kidney disease a 64% increased chance for chronic pulmonary disease, and a 30% increase chance to have higher blood pressure.
^3) Local governments are propping up the coal industry, taking into account all revenue and expenditures the industry costs the local government of West Virginia 100 million a year and Kentucky 115 million a year.
^4) Local areas with mountaintop mining had an unemployment rate 44% higher than other local areas.

Like always conservatives are ignorant

Your
http://appalachiarising.org/press-and-bloggers/factsheet-on-mountaintop-removal-coal-mining/ link doesn't resolve. But don't bother correcting it, the appalachiarising.org site is an anti coal mining propaganda organ.

Enough said.

Um, your article doesn't mention how most of those employees were offered spots at FirstEnergy's other plants. Besides, demand for coal powered electricity will fall as cities realize that clean energy isn't actually that much more expensive.

It's far more expensive. Furthermore, it requires 100% backup. Utilities will not be able to dispense with the slightest amount of the current conventional generating capacity if they adopt so-called "green energy."

Better then their children dying from coal plant pollution. When you include health and environmental costs coal costs 2 time more then green energy and green energy create 3 times more jobs

No one ever died from living near a coal plant. No one has ever even gotten sick. When you include health and environmental costs, coal is even cheaper in comparison to green energy. A reliable source of energy prevents food from spoiling and hospitals from shutting down.

You're a environmental nutburger who is completely devoid of reason and common sense. Nothing you spout bares the slightest resemblance to an actual fact.

Ah. So presenting an ideas or counterpoints without being an azzhole is simply beyond you.
It seemed fairly obvious but I thought what the heck, why not give it a try?

So your assertation is that there has never been a verified and measured anomolous increase in emphysema, lung disease, hypertension, heart attacks etc... specifically in the areas surrounding these plants?
Well, I guess you aren't bothered by things like facts, reality etc... when "debating". Got it.

Do you have any actual credible evidence to support your claim? . . . .

I didn't think so.

I got your 'running for the hills' right here by the short and curleys, CookedGewse.

I have a small point to all the 'facts' brought out.

They are all from op-eds, Environmentalist blogs, and non-profit activist groups who have a vested interest in pumping out these types of results. All non-scientific sources. I didn't see university data, government lab data... nothing in the 50 or so back links to sources that I went through. Oh I did find one possibly credible think tank that basically concluded Utilities pollute the most and there are larger costs related to health. File under "no shit sherlock", but a total non-sequiter to the discussion as a whole.

When I tried to backtrack the source from the numbers, I ended in an 'enviro-advocacy blog loop'. This means that nobody's talking about WHERE the numbers came from, but keep referencing them as if they are true and certifiably accurate.

So why should I trust a damn thing they say? We've already learned that the IPCC was tricked by advocates from the WWF to accept Himalayan glacial melt numbers from anecdotal evidence from a geography student interviewing ice climbing guides. Michael Mann and he EAUCRU were caught forcing temperature data and then destroying the raw data to protect the fraud. Don't forget that the tree ring study was selected from 3 particular trees In siberia that MATCHED THE THEORY while ignoring hundred of thousands of other trees in the same area with a similar life span.

So am I to really believe this incestuous logic and... ahem... :rolleyes: "science" on face value?

I'd be a fool too. I need better data thank you. I'm done with GIGO.

Last edited:

Actually, not. There are no proven deaths caused by coal fired power plants. Your article doesn't provide a shred of evidence to support that claim.

When you include health and environmental costs, coal is even cheaper in comparison to green energy. A reliable source of energy prevents food from spoiling and hospitals from shutting down.

Except at night or when the wind isn't blowing.

What then?

The Kentucky Environmental Foundation is not a credible source. It's a wacko environmental propaganda organ.

From the title page of the study:

The Kentucky Environmental Foundation (KEF) is a non-profi t organization
dedicated to securing solutions to environmental problems in a manner,
which safeguards human health, promotes environmental justice,
preserves ecological systems and encourages sustainability.

They obviously have an agenda.

Furthermore, the study talks mostly about the health effects of mining, which isn't under debate here. When it does talk about the health effects of coal fired power plants, it makes unsupported claims. It doesn't provide any evidence that these claims are true. The EPA is the ultimate source of most of them, and the EPA has been caught red-handed engaging in questionable practices to support it's regulatory policies.

Think Progress? You're joking, right?

How does spending vast new sums of money on energy that's more expensive and less reliable produce economic benefits?

Paying people to dig holes an fill them up again would be more productive.

Last edited:
Another libturd moron pulling stuff out of his ass.

http://appalachiarising.org/press-and-bloggers/factsheet-on-mountaintop-removal-coal-mining/
^1)A 2009 report estimates that mountaintop coal mining costs Appalachia five times more than the benefits it receives from mountaintop mining. 42 billion to 8 billion.
^2) residents in major mining locations had a 70% higher chance of having kidney disease a 64% increased chance for chronic pulmonary disease, and a 30% increase chance to have higher blood pressure.
^3) Local governments are propping up the coal industry, taking into account all revenue and expenditures the industry costs the local government of West Virginia 100 million a year and Kentucky 115 million a year.
^4) Local areas with mountaintop mining had an unemployment rate 44% higher than other local areas.

Like always conservatives are ignorant

Your
http://appalachiarising.org/press-and-bloggers/factsheet-on-mountaintop-removal-coal-mining/ link doesn't resolve. But don't bother correcting it, the appalachiarising.org site is an anti coal mining propaganda organ.

Enough said.
Typical of a Republican to ignore reality

It's far more expensive. Furthermore, it requires 100% backup. Utilities will not be able to dispense with the slightest amount of the current conventional generating capacity if they adopt so-called "green energy."
Fossil fuels are twice as expensive as green energy

So you give us a link to ANOTHER radical anti-coal site's gallery? What is the definition of the word 'factual'? Do you understand what 'Advocacy' is and means?

This is not proof. It's propaganda for a desired outcome. It is not neutral and fact based it is agenda driven and cannot be trusted as accurate.

Fossil fuels are twice as expensive as green energy

Bullshit. Bring the proof, if you can find real proof.

His "facts" have all been verified to be not true.

Once again, you made a fool of yourself by jumping in to support an obvious nutburger.

And FirstEnergy could take the matter into court. They chose to close instead. No question however, the rules & regs are smothering some US businesses.

Why would any corporation waste a lot of money taking the federal government to court to overturn regulations? When has any corp ever won such a lawsuit? You might as well have said "they could have hit themselves on the head with a hammer, but they chose not to." That would have made just as much sense.

Did I ask for a response from an engineer or another power plant technician? Hell, there are lots of engineers. I would not ask advice from say.... a highway engineer on what power plants should be shut down. And we shouldn't need one. If they are old an inefficient common sense would dictate that it's time to retire them

Actually, no, common sense wouldn't dictate that. If it's cheaper to keep them than to build new ones, then common sense says you keep them. That's what you learn when you take Engineering Econ 403.

OMG!

Three old polluting plants had to close!

Thanks President Obama for protecting America from corporate greed.

Yeah, thanks for protecting poor children from low energy prices. Now their parents can spend their money on "green energy" instead of nutritious food or medical care.
Find me a death certificate any time in the last 100 years that has 'coal pollution' as the cause of death.

Just one.

Far better to put 100 families out into the cold or destroy their standard of living so you can get high off your self-righteous sanctimony.

Yeah, thanks for protecting poor children from low energy prices. Now their parents can spend their money on "green energy" instead of nutritious food or medical care.
Find me a death certificate any time in the last 100 years that has 'coal pollution' as the cause of death.

Just one.

Far better to put 100 families out into the cold or destroy their standard of living so you can get high off your self-righteous sanctimony.
The poster won't, and it knows it.

Forum List

Back