The "advocacy" industry

rhodescholar

Gold Member
May 31, 2009
When I was much younger, I wondered why are there people who advocate for "rights" for such unpopular groups like illegal aliens, the homeless, welfare deadbeats, etc., as they seemed to exist all over the world: la raza and al sharpton in the US, b'tselem in Israel, Legis in Macedonia, etc.

They serve no real purpose other than to provide themselves a greater platform than screaming from the corner of a public park; with the media racing to give them that platform on which to become a "part of the political process" even though they were never elected by anyone. It would seem that they are nothing more than parasitical leeches in a similiar manner as those who they claim to be defending, and seek to stay in the public eye which draws them more power and of course, donations/funds with which to pay themselves.

Few, if any of these cancers actually are willing to financially put their money where their mouth is, i.e., financially support illegal aliens in europe or the US, but they do seem to feel very strongly, of course, that we as taxpayers support their pet cause with lots of our money.

I wonder if there is a way, without hindering genuine first amendment / freedom of speech, to quash these groups which are nothing more than cancers.

When I was much younger, I wondered why are there people who advocate for "rights" for such unpopular groups like illegal aliens, the homeless, welfare deadbeats, etc., as they seemed to exist all over the world: la raza and al sharpton in the US, b'tselem in Israel, Legis in Macedonia, etc.

They serve no real purpose other than to provide themselves a greater platform than screaming from the corner of a public park; with the media racing to give them that platform on which to become a "part of the political process" even though they were never elected by anyone. It would seem that they are nothing more than parasitical leeches in a similiar manner as those who they claim to be defending, and seek to stay in the public eye which draws them more power and of course, donations/funds with which to pay themselves.

Few, if any of these cancers actually are willing to financially put their money where their mouth is, i.e., financially support illegal aliens in europe or the US, but they do seem to feel very strongly, of course, that we as taxpayers support their pet cause with lots of our money.

I wonder if there is a way, without hindering genuine first amendment / freedom of speech, to quash these groups which are nothing more than cancers.
Don't forget, there is an entire advocacy media too.

Fox News, MSNBC, Talk Radio, etc......

What you need to watch out for is the seductive notion of silencing people just because you hate what they say.

That has never ended anyway but badly

Do you believe that th disadvantaged, the minority, the poor should have no voice at all in government? They are not corporations that can hire high powered lobbyists. Should only the rich have an active voice on Capitol Hill, or should all Americans enjoy some level of advocacy?

The "homeless" and "welfare deadbeats" have the same rights as anyone else. The problem is that the "advocates" often don't have a clue about how to address the problem. Most of the time they recommend throwing more money while keeping often redundant, wasteful and downright idiotic programs. The illegal alien issue is separate and distinct. The people are in the U.S. illegally and democrat party advocates seem to think of them as a future voting base rather than the criminal element that they are.

Forum List

Back