The bible and magical thinking

Is there any question why America is in trouble in science and critical thinking skills?

True liberation from this magical thinking and using the bible to support it comes when we realize that, first of all, we are thinking magically, and second, that the bible if read a certain way supports a magical worldview.

When will we stop looking to the bible for permission to believe what we know to be true? You can’t argue with Reality. Reality always wins. The debates that continue to look for validation in the bible are hopelessly trapped in magical thinking.

the bible and magical thinking

It didn't seem to negatively affect Sir Isaac Newton and many other brilliant scientists who have contributed to our scientific knowledge base.

And people like Isaac Newton and Galileo and Copernicus lived in a world when the existence of God was just a given. They believed in a God because they literally could not conceive of a world without God. It was just a mindset.
Lol, are you telling us atheism is a new religion ?

Mormonism endorsed plural wives, joseph smith was a pedophile and convicted felon.

Nothing less noble than a mormon, save for perhaps scientologists or jihadis

While it is true that Mormons practiced polygamy, the Book of Mormon specifically and strongly denounced this practice. The following verses are from the Book of Mormon. All verse numbers have been removed for easier reading and all highlights are my own:

“And now it came to pass that the people of Nephi, under the reign of the second king, began to grow hard in their hearts, and indulge themselves somewhat in wicked practices, such as like unto David of old desiring many wives and concubines, and also Solomon, his son” (Jacob 1:15).

“But the word of God burdens me because of your grosser crimes. For behold, thus saith the Lord: This people begin to wax in iniquity; they understand not the scriptures, for they seek to excuse themselves in committing whoredoms, because of the things which were written concerning David, and Solomon his son. Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord. Wherefore, thus saith the Lord, I have led this people forth out of the land of Jerusalem, by the power of mine arm, that I might raise up unto me a righteous branch from the fruit of the loins of Joseph. Wherefore, I the Lord God will not suffer that this people shall do like unto them of old. Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any man among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none; For I, the Lord God, delight in the chastity of women. And whoredoms are an abomination before me; thus saith the Lord of Hosts. Wherefore, this people shall keep my commandments, saith the Lord of Hosts, or cursed be the land for their sakes” (Jacob 2:23,-29).

“And it came to pass that Riplakish did not do that which was right in the sight of the Lord, for he did have many wives and concubines, and did lay that upon men's shoulders which was grievous to be borne; yea, he did tax them with heavy taxes; and with the taxes he did build many spacious buildings” (Ether 10:5).

“And now it came to pass that Zeniff conferred the kingdom upon Noah, one of his sons; therefore Noah began to reign in his stead; and he did not walk in the ways of his father. For behold, he did not keep the commandments of God, but he did walk after the desires of his own heart. And he had many wives and concubines. And he did cause his people to commit sin, and do that which was abominable in the sight of the Lord. Yea, and they did commit whoredoms and all manner of wickedness” (Mosiah 11:1, 2).

For those of you who do not have a copy of the Book of Mormon, here is a link that will get you access to the Book. The site has both word-search and verse-search:

The Book of Mormon -- Simple Searches

It is strange to me that Christians condemn polygamy although the Bible does not specifically forbid it (in fact, it was widely practiced in the Old testament) while Mormons practice it even though their Holy Book clearly forbids it.

Mormonism endorsed plural wives, joseph smith was a pedophile and convicted felon.

Nothing less noble than a mormon, save for perhaps scientologists or jihadis

While it is true that Mormons practiced polygamy, the Book of Mormon specifically and strongly denounced this practice. The following verses are from the Book of Mormon. All verse numbers have been removed for easier reading and all highlights are my own:

“And now it came to pass that the people of Nephi, under the reign of the second king, began to grow hard in their hearts, and indulge themselves somewhat in wicked practices, such as like unto David of old desiring many wives and concubines, and also Solomon, his son” (Jacob 1:15).

“But the word of God burdens me because of your grosser crimes. For behold, thus saith the Lord: This people begin to wax in iniquity; they understand not the scriptures, for they seek to excuse themselves in committing whoredoms, because of the things which were written concerning David, and Solomon his son. Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord. Wherefore, thus saith the Lord, I have led this people forth out of the land of Jerusalem, by the power of mine arm, that I might raise up unto me a righteous branch from the fruit of the loins of Joseph. Wherefore, I the Lord God will not suffer that this people shall do like unto them of old. Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any man among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none; For I, the Lord God, delight in the chastity of women. And whoredoms are an abomination before me; thus saith the Lord of Hosts. Wherefore, this people shall keep my commandments, saith the Lord of Hosts, or cursed be the land for their sakes” (Jacob 2:23,-29).

“And it came to pass that Riplakish did not do that which was right in the sight of the Lord, for he did have many wives and concubines, and did lay that upon men's shoulders which was grievous to be borne; yea, he did tax them with heavy taxes; and with the taxes he did build many spacious buildings” (Ether 10:5).

“And now it came to pass that Zeniff conferred the kingdom upon Noah, one of his sons; therefore Noah began to reign in his stead; and he did not walk in the ways of his father. For behold, he did not keep the commandments of God, but he did walk after the desires of his own heart. And he had many wives and concubines. And he did cause his people to commit sin, and do that which was abominable in the sight of the Lord. Yea, and they did commit whoredoms and all manner of wickedness” (Mosiah 11:1, 2).

For those of you who do not have a copy of the Book of Mormon, here is a link that will get you access to the Book. The site has both word-search and verse-search:

The Book of Mormon -- Simple Searches

It is strange to me that Christians condemn polygamy although the Bible does not specifically forbid it (in fact, it was widely practiced in the Old testament) while Mormons practice it even though their Holy Book clearly forbids it.
Who founded mormonism and did he practice polygamy?

Did he marry a 14yr old girl?

Did.he go to prison?

Did mormons treat black people different per their edict until recently?

Yes yes yes yes yes.

Phony as shit

Forum List

Back