"The Black Hole" (1979)

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Caught most of this yesterday for the umpteenth time. But I still don't get the end. :) It seems to clearly show the bad guy and bad robot in Hell, complete with fire and fgures moving along in the foreground. But then it shows the good guys seemingly making it through and approaching a planet in eclipse. What was the planet? We'll set the science aside for this one. :)

Caught most of this yesterday for the umpteenth time. But I still don't get the end. :) It seems to clearly show the bad guy and bad robot in Hell, complete with fire and fgures moving along in the foreground. But then it shows the good guys seemingly making it through and approaching a planet in eclipse. What was the planet? We'll set the science aside for this one. :)

(My bold)

It's been too long, I don't remember What the planet was. It is a kinda happy ending, though. The bad guys clearly wind up in some version/vision of hell, the good guys clearly get through the black hole & presumably exit the wormhole @ the other end.

IMDb has a nice write-up, you can see what others thought about the movie & the meaning of it all. I think since 20,000 Leagues under the sea, Disney has had a v. bad time making a coherent science fiction movie.

While we're on the subject of films I didn't get the ending to, "2001" is another. :)

(My bold)

Yah, the v. clipped dialogue on the movie doesn't help any. You'd have to read the novelization of the movie - the Star Child returning to Earth is basically the end of history, as I recall. It's not clear whether that ushers in a human vision of utopia, or that of the aliens who presumably planted the black monoliths.

I liked the movie, v. arresting visually, & it was genius to marry up classical music & the visuals.

People did a lot more drugs back when 2001 was made so it made a lot more sense at the time. Now, I'm not so sure, I think Joe Biden might be the only person who truly understands the ending

While we're on the subject of films I didn't get the ending to, "2001" is another. :)

(My bold)

Yah, the v. clipped dialogue on the movie doesn't help any. You'd have to read the novelization of the movie - the Star Child returning to Earth is basically the end of history, as I recall. It's not clear whether that ushers in a human vision of utopia, or that of the aliens who presumably planted the black monoliths.

I liked the movie, v. arresting visually, & it was genius to marry up classical music & the visuals.

Was good up to the whole 'this is what it's like on acid' part towards the end. :)

People did a lot more drugs back when 2001 was made so it made a lot more sense at the time. Now, I'm not so sure, I think Joe Biden might be the only person who truly understands the ending

(My bold)

& so people's consciousness was artificially enhanced? LOL. That may be true - & yet I prefer overly ambitious movies that don't quite hit the mark to the latest endless regurgitation of Rambo or Rocky. (Not picking on Stallone, I liked First Blood right up until Rambo started speechifying.)

We don't seem to be getting much in the way of stories from Hollywood. Avatar was interesting for sfx, as were the last entries in the Star Wars franchise. God only knows what the Mouse will hork up - likely yet another bolus. Instead, someone or other seems to be remaking all of Verhoeven's science fiction work - RoboCop, Total Recall, Starship Trooper.

They fill the screen, & empty the pocket & the soul. Not really my definition of a suspension of disbelief.

Forum List

Back