The commie government agency THE FDA, wants to regulate the cheese on a pizza.

The FDA thinks it’s a great idea for these calories to be put on the walls of the establishment.

This is actually an excellent idea. In my area calories already have to be posted for all restaurant and fast food and holy shit some of this stuff being served to people is mega calories. Single items 800-900 calories, single meals close to 4,000 calories. As a nation we need to become more fit and healthy, what we eat is killing us.

Indeed. We need to get the police involved in this. We need laws requiring that each citizen keep a food intake log that can be spot checked by dietary agents.

Is that what I said? No.

Yeah, it pretty much is. Whenever we 'regulate' business with legal requirements, the police are required to enforce those requirements.

What is so hard about calculating the calories in pizza?
Simple computer program to add up ingredients

The problem is that unlike processed foods in a factory these are made at least partially by hand. The cheese isn't measured out exactly, the # of pepperoni per pizza isn't measured out exactly, and you can't put every combo up on the board.

What the real issue is that if the business is off by even a bit, it opens them up to lawsuits for false advertising, and that is the real reason they oppose this.

You would get some lawyer ordering a pizza, and breaking it up for calorimeter measurements.

"Your honor they said it was 1300 calories, but i measured it at 1500 calories, therefore they owe me money"
So give them a margin for error

A consumer should still be able to know the difference in calories between a plain pizza and one loaded with ingredients

Or maybe with this newfangled thing called google, people can get a rough estimate on their own.

Or instead of cluttering up the order board, just have it available online or as a printed sheet.

Works for me

The idea is to provide general nutritional information, doesn’t have to be rocket science

You know lawyers would make it something to sue over.

Look at the moron who sued over the length of a subway "footlong"

Why The Subway 'Footlong' Lawsuits Fell Short

And the scary thing is that Subway actually had to settle to pay off the lawyer fees for the plaintiffs.
Yea....and
2X4s are not really two inches by four inches

Lawyers do what they do

Requiring nutritional information on what we eat is not the end of the world. Accuracy parameters can be established

The problem is that unlike processed foods in a factory these are made at least partially by hand. The cheese isn't measured out exactly, the # of pepperoni per pizza isn't measured out exactly, and you can't put every combo up on the board.

What the real issue is that if the business is off by even a bit, it opens them up to lawsuits for false advertising, and that is the real reason they oppose this.

You would get some lawyer ordering a pizza, and breaking it up for calorimeter measurements.

"Your honor they said it was 1300 calories, but i measured it at 1500 calories, therefore they owe me money"

A consumer should still be able to know the difference in calories between a plain pizza and one loaded with ingredients

Or maybe with this newfangled thing called google, people can get a rough estimate on their own.

Or instead of cluttering up the order board, just have it available online or as a printed sheet.

Works for me

The idea is to provide general nutritional information, doesn’t have to be rocket science

And the scary thing is that Subway actually had to settle to pay off the lawyer fees for the plaintiffs.
Yea....and

Lawyers do what they do

Requiring nutritional information on what we eat is not the end of the world. Accuracy parameters can be established

Or people can just choose which stores to patronize and we can leave the feds out of it.

Why is your solution to the problems caused by more government always even more government?

Works for me

Yea....and

Lawyers do what they do

Sorry but if you want to watch what you eat you don't order fast food.

So if you want to count the calories on your pizza bring a food scale and pick the ingredients off the slice, weigh them then look it up

Let me guess you think people are fat because they don't know that eating less and moving more is the key to losing weight or that people think a Snickers is just as healthy a food choice as an apple right?

People sure take their pizza seriously. Unless you make one of those gourmet truly Italian pizzas, you know it's not good for you.
I think it's helpful for people with restricted diets to be able to see an ingredients list at a fast food joint, since it's true the clerks haven't got a clue--but requiring a calorie list is overkill. If the restaurant wants to, that's great. It certainly shouldn't be required.

Works for me

Yea....and

Lawyers do what they do

Or people can just choose which stores to patronize and we can leave the feds out of it.

Why is your solution to the problems caused by more government always even more government?
Or people can just patronize establishments that comply with fire codes on their own and comply with the health code

Who needs government?

Works for me

Yea....and

Lawyers do what they do

Or people can just patronize establishments that comply with fire codes on their own and comply with the health code

Who needs government?

Fire codes involve actual danger and implied sets of standards for letting the public into a space.

Sorry, but that is not even in the same ballpark as having to estimate on your own the caloric content of your burger.

Argumentum ad absurdum.

People sure take their pizza seriously. Unless you make one of those gourmet truly Italian pizzas, you know it's not good for you.
I think it's helpful for people with restricted diets to be able to see an ingredients list at a fast food joint, since it's true the clerks haven't got a clue--but requiring a calorie list is overkill. If the restaurant wants to, that's great. It certainly shouldn't be required.
Would you please, just please stfu!

Why, OldLady, I do believe I agree with you.
:beer:

The problem is not too much liberty or too little government. The free market will fix the problem. You see them advertise vegan choices to accommodate that diet plan. Surely the owners would want to stay competitive by providing ingredient or calorie information. Otherwise, they can lose our dollars.

There were several hidden gems in the 2010 Obamacare Act. I think we’ve all seen how our premiums have taken off, or the fact that our doctors were smart and either went into concierge medicine or stopped accepting your crappy insurance. But now, it seems like the wizards of wellness that were released with this monstrosity want to regulate your pizza.

Yep. On May 7th all businesses that sell food and have 20 or more locations to post calories in a place where their customers can see them. The FDA thinks it’s a great idea for these calories to be put on the walls of the establishment.

Why? Why do businesses have to go to all this trouble and expense to post the nutrition info on their delicious, affordable food? Because the nanny state demands it. You see, the nanny state wants to nudge you into different behaviors. Therefore, if the nutrition information is posted on the wall, you might see that the #2 Combo at Whataburger will probably take up most of your caloric intake for the day. If you have that info, the nanny staters say, you will make healthier choices. Because you’re fat and too stupid to realize that eating that double meat double cheese with bacon and extra large fries is causing you to be fat.

The regulation requires that the nutrition info be posted in stores, which is problematic for at least one major category of fast food—pizza.

Think about it—Domino’s estimates that there are 34 MILLION different combinations available to their customers. The government wants the person who walks into the Domino’s store to be able to see EXACTLY how many calories their 16 inch hand tossed crust with extra sauce, four kinds of cheese, green peppers, olives, and every meat known to a delicatessen will set them back. That kind of info has to be posted for every combination. In the store.

But, the FDA is refusing to look at reality here. According to one Domino’s franchisee who owns 18 stores, 90% of his customers don’t come into his store at all. They either order on-line, through the app, or occasionally call. They. Do. Not. Come. In. The. Store. So, they won’t have access to all this nanny state goodness.

The FDA Wants To Regulate Your Pizza | iHeartRadio

Do not worry though. The left wing rich white elitists can have all of the cheese they want. Just like THEY can live behind walls. Just like THEY can be protected by guns. Just like THEY can have enormous carbon footprints.

However, the middle class cannot.

You consider Domino’s pizza “great and delicious food”. I wouldn’t feed their shit to my cat. He deserves better and so do you.

I love pizza but big chains like Domino’s and Pizza Hut serve crap. Given a choice between Dominos and nothing, I’ll take nothing over a greasy undercooked doughy blob which is the only kind of pizza I’ve ever seen come out of a Dominos.

My preference is a one-off Mom and Pop store which uses quality ingredients, with a perfectly cooked crispy thin crust, fresh herbs in the sauce, and fresh toppings. Heaven!

Works for me

Yea....and

Lawyers do what they do

Who needs government?
I hope you're being sarcastic.

Works for me

Yea....and

Lawyers do what they do

Who needs government?

Fire codes involve actual danger and implied sets of standards for letting the public into a space.

Sorry, but that is not even in the same ballpark as having to estimate on your own the caloric content of your burger.

Argumentum ad absurdum.
Public health and safety

Works for me

Yea....and

Lawyers do what they do

Who needs government?
I hope you're being sarcastic.
I am never sarcastic

USMB is serious shit

Would you please, just please stfu!
Put me back on ignore, then.
LOL Owl can't stand my mere presence.

The FDA thinks it’s a great idea for these calories to be put on the walls of the establishment.

This is actually an excellent idea. In my area calories already have to be posted for all restaurant and fast food and holy shit some of this stuff being served to people is mega calories. Single items 800-900 calories, single meals close to 4,000 calories. As a nation we need to become more fit and healthy, what we eat is killing us.

Indeed. We need to get the police involved in this. We need laws requiring that each citizen keep a food intake log that can be spot checked by dietary agents.

Is that what I said? No.

Yeah, it pretty much is. Whenever we 'regulate' business with legal requirements, the police are required to enforce those requirements.

No its not, come on where did I say anything about using police to enforce individuals to eat more healthy quote it you can't.

But, again, like all leftists/statists you identify the problem only two ways:

A. too much liberty
B. not enough government

Like all leftists, you try to cram those square pegs through all different shaped holes.

The proper freedom-based approach to public policy in problem solving is first and always seeking to maximize individual liberty and balancing each individual's liberty interests against others.

I prefer to know how many calories I eat at each meal it's called weight control. I also like to know the ingredients I am purchasing along with fat content for any future strokes I'd like to avoid..

If you are eating a pizza, you don't give a shit about weight control.

There were several hidden gems in the 2010 Obamacare Act. I think we’ve all seen how our premiums have taken off, or the fact that our doctors were smart and either went into concierge medicine or stopped accepting your crappy insurance. But now, it seems like the wizards of wellness that were released with this monstrosity want to regulate your pizza.

Yep. On May 7th all businesses that sell food and have 20 or more locations to post calories in a place where their customers can see them. The FDA thinks it’s a great idea for these calories to be put on the walls of the establishment.

Why? Why do businesses have to go to all this trouble and expense to post the nutrition info on their delicious, affordable food? Because the nanny state demands it. You see, the nanny state wants to nudge you into different behaviors. Therefore, if the nutrition information is posted on the wall, you might see that the #2 Combo at Whataburger will probably take up most of your caloric intake for the day. If you have that info, the nanny staters say, you will make healthier choices. Because you’re fat and too stupid to realize that eating that double meat double cheese with bacon and extra large fries is causing you to be fat.

The regulation requires that the nutrition info be posted in stores, which is problematic for at least one major category of fast food—pizza.

Think about it—Domino’s estimates that there are 34 MILLION different combinations available to their customers. The government wants the person who walks into the Domino’s store to be able to see EXACTLY how many calories their 16 inch hand tossed crust with extra sauce, four kinds of cheese, green peppers, olives, and every meat known to a delicatessen will set them back. That kind of info has to be posted for every combination. In the store.

But, the FDA is refusing to look at reality here. According to one Domino’s franchisee who owns 18 stores, 90% of his customers don’t come into his store at all. They either order on-line, through the app, or occasionally call. They. Do. Not. Come. In. The. Store. So, they won’t have access to all this nanny state goodness.

The FDA Wants To Regulate Your Pizza | iHeartRadio

Do not worry though. The left wing rich white elitists can have all of the cheese they want. Just like THEY can live behind walls. Just like THEY can be protected by guns. Just like THEY can have enormous carbon footprints.

However, the middle class cannot.

What is so hard about calculating the calories in pizza?
Simple computer program to add up ingredients

Then do it yourself. Simple....

But you can't see why people get irate over creating issues where there are none.

Of course not....it's what pays you.

Forum List

Back