The Confederate Battle Flag is not My Pride or My Heritage, America's Flag is

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
The Land of Sanctuary
Let's start off with one thing here. For any of you getting ready to launch your opening salvos defending the Confederate Battle Flag as "Southern Pride" or "my heritage:" that is fully and rightfully something you're entitled to believe. I also live in the State of Georgia, one of the original thirteen colonies. It was also the breadbasket, and thus the backbone of the Confederacy. So by all rights I should should share the same ideals in regards to this flag. But I don't, nor do I wish to. After a little self introspection, I've come to this one conclusion: The Confederate Flag is not my pride or my heritage, America's flag is.

I've been bouncing around on both sides of this debate for a week now, and I finally stopped and realized what I wasn't understanding. The Confederacy is dead. America is not. When I look up at a flag pole, I see the American flag, not the Confederate Battle Flag. I'm not worried about how it was wrong for the union to suspend habeas corpus or invade the south for seceding constitutionally... I don't really care. Those issues are wholly superfluous to the point I'm making here. The flag I care about now is the American one, one brave men and women fought and died for. It represents my freedom to post this thread, and your freedom to claim the Confederate Battle Flag as a symbol of pride or heritage.

My personal (and now more informed) opinion about the liberal idea of the flag representing hate, or racism, or slavery is this; as a friend put it: there is a lot of hate that doesn't even involve this (the Confederate Battle) flag. There's lots of hate coming from the same category of people who decry this as a symbol of hate, people like Al Sharpton, Obama or Democrats in general.

Moreover, the Civil War ended over 150 years ago, and these exclamations about how the flag "reminds them of slavery" in fact are statements spoken from inexperience; to be frank, their minds are still stuck in the fields, or places they've never been. They were never slaves, they never experienced slavery, nor racism, nor any of the things Blacks experienced in the pre-1860's south.

But on the other hand, to be objective, I must also understand that my reverence of and veneration in the Confederate Battle Flag is sorely misplaced. It is a lack of respect to my country as it is now, a lack of respect for the flag my Dad fought for. The American Flag should hold more meaning to me than that of a battle flag representing a long since dead confederacy. The deeper meaning is this: America should mean more to me than anything else, second only to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. A flag is merely nothing more than a piece of well knitted fabric, with a symbol on it, its not something to be worshiped.

I don't see the Confederate Battle Flag as racist, or representing it, or slavery, or hatred. But I also see that this is not the flag I should hold high in glory. It is not a symbol of my pride or heritage, it is a reminder of the history of the flag I venerate today. The American Flag. America. Freedom. Freedom isn't free, and it took the deaths of hundreds of thousands of men to prove that.

I was born in and have lived all of my live in America, and I am glad in it. As for you, feel free to hold on to your Confederate Flag; and I like mine too, but remember where you are, remember what you are: an American in America, and remember where your respect should lie. Think about that as you celebrate your independence on July 4th. Our founding fathers didn't fight for America's independence under a Confederate Battle Flag. They fought under the flag of freedom, the one America's flag now represents, sins and all.

Last edited:
don't see the Confederate Battle Flag as racist, or representing it, or slavery, or hatred. But I also see that this is not the flag I should hold high in glory. It is not a symbol of my pride or heritage, it is a reminder of the history of the flag I venerate today. The American Flag. America. Freedom. Freedom isn't free, and it took the deaths of hundreds of thousands of men to prove that.
Freedom is free. We are born free with "certain inalienable rights" as per the writings of John Locke. The confederate flag is part of American heritage. During that time a great constitutional issue was fought over to finally settle unfinished business from Constitutional Convention of 1787.

The confederate flag is part of American heritage.

It might be, but it is secondary to the one we live under today. It's okay to appreciate your heritage, and acknowledge its role in the establishment of the country you live in today. The American flag is all the reminder of my heritage that I need.

Freedom is free.We are born free with "certain inalienable rights" as per the writings of John Locke ... During that time a great constitutional issue was fought over to finally settle unfinished business from Constitutional Convention of 1787.

If we have to send men and women to die for that freedom, then no, it is far from free. We are born free, but we have to exert great effort to keep it. During the Constitutional Convention of 1787, a woman approached Benjamin Franklin as he left Independence Hall on the last day of deliberations, and she asked:

"Well, Doctor, what have we got—a Republic or a Monarchy?” To which he answered, "a Republic, if you can keep it."

That exchange to me shows that freedom is not free. You must do things to preserve freedom, the acts of preserving freedom is the actual price of freedom.

Last edited:
The confederate flag is part of American heritage.

It might be, but it is secondary to the one we live under today. It's okay to appreciate your heritage, and acknowledge its role in the establishment of the country you live in today. That is all the reminder of my heritage that I need.

Freedom is free.We are born free with "certain inalienable rights" as per the writings of John Locke ... During that time a great constitutional issue was fought over to finally settle unfinished business from Constitutional Convention of 1787.

If we have to send men to die for that freedom, then no, it is far from free. We are born free, but we have to exert great effort to keep it. During the Constitutional Convention of 1787, a woman approached Benjamin Franklin as he left Independence Hall on the last day of deliberations, she asked:

"Well, Doctor, what have we got—a Republic or a Monarchy?” To which he answered, "a Republic, if you can keep it."

That exchange to me shows that freedom is not free. You must do things to preserve freedom, the acts of preserving freedom is the actual price of freedom.
Freedom is free and yes must be protected. When we send men to defend it that is not the "price of freedom" but the obligation and duty that comes with it. When we try to force our political beliefs on other peoples by invading them...then we become the antithesis of what our nation was founded on.

What I find ridiculous is the use of they Confederate Flag as a wedge issue. The Civil War was 150 years ago. The issue was settled...whatever it was at the time and a healthy debate over that is fun. But using it as a wedge issue?? That is disgusting!!

Greg

What I find ridiculous is the use of they Confederate Flag as a wedge issue. The Civil War was 150 years ago. The issue was settled...whatever it was at the time and a healthy debate over that is fun. But using it as a wedge issue?? That is disgusting!!

Greg
Agreed. But the news media and liberals finds it O.K. for people to stomp on the American flag.
050315_ff_flag_640.jpg

I'm using ammo from both sides here:

If liberals think the flag is so racist and hateful, why are they voting for the party who flew it in the first place to protect the right to have slaves?

Last edited:
When we send men to defend it that is not the "price of freedom" but the obligation and duty that comes with it.

Those men, my friend, are using two of their unalienable rights to go over there and fight for it. The take the liberty of risking their lives to go over there and fight. Life and liberty. Liberty and freedom go hand in hand. No liberty, no freedom. So, like I said, having had multiple members of my family go fight overseas, freedom is not free.

I'm using ammo from both sides here:

If liberals think the flag is so racist and hateful, why are they voting the party who flew it in the first place to protect the right to have slaves?
The politics have changed. liberals NEED the flag to be racist to push an agenda.

Greg
Agreed. But the news media and liberals finds it O.K. for people to stomp on the American flag.
050315_ff_flag_640.jpg

True, and for that they should be condemned in the strongest possible LEGAL way!! My own allegiance is to a different flag and as yet I have not been in a position to show my displeasure to one who has desecrated it.........though I would be delighted to do so should I be around when it was occurring.

Greg

When we send men to defend it that is not the "price of freedom" but the obligation and duty that comes with it.

Those men, my friend, are using two of their unalienable rights to go over there and fight for it. The take the liberty of risking their lives to go over there and fight. Life and liberty. Liberty and freedom go hand in hand. No liberty, no freedom. So, like I said, having had multiple members of my family go fight overseas, freedom is not free.
I fought overseas. Infantry. They singed up to defend their nation, people, and its way of life. Also, to defend the Constitution of the United States. You are born with liberty and freedom. You cannot put a cost on something that is mine to begin with. I will defend this idea to the death and I will nor attempt to inject it into other regions of the globe by force.

You cannot put a cost on something that is mine to begin with.

Then why is that phrase engraved into one of the walls at the Korean War Memorial? If freedom has no price, then we wouldn't need to do anything to protect it. Nothing. Freedom would protect itself. I don't believe that it works that way. Freedom has worth, thusly, that worth dictates there be a price for its possession. Freedom is worth defending.

"Free is free." Forgive me if I don't take stock in such reasoning.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back