The Do a Good Deed and Share It Thread

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
If God exists, He'll reward those who do a good deed. Not believing in that sort of god, some positive reinforcement from peers is desired so I thought I'd do a thread. Can write about whatever good turn or deed you did as you do them, get pats on the back and such from others. Or, you could say nothing and just hope someone noticed and hope for the best. :)

Yesterday I did some shopping with my Mom prior to her going on vacation with a friend to Hawaii for a week. She's a Hawaii nut and always has been. Took me and my brother when I was 17 way back, but that's the only time I'd been. Didn't like Honolulu, just a big city to my eyes. But enjoyed Maui and especially the resort we were at. Went SCUBA diving for the first time and been hooked ever since.

So in preparation for Mom going I baked her favorite cake I'd been saving a while figuring by now it'd be a surprise for her. It was. Plain white cake n frosting. Says it reminds her of wedding cake and she called after getting it home and having some to say how much she enjoyed it. This was part 1 of my 'good deed' for the day.

Part 2 came bringing in groceries stocking up for a couple weeks. Mostly just baking stuff for cupcakes and cookies in the week or so ahead. Bringing in the last of the groceries I noticed a fiver crumpled up on the ground. Picking it up and showing it to Mom who was right there parked her eyes widened and she said how lucky I am with money. It's true, the number of times I've found money is uncanny. Of course, that's what comes from watching where you step so as not to step on anyone (bugs are people too hehe.)

Now the good deed part comes next. I could have kept the five bucks, but cash ends up in my wallet where it can stay for several months not having any hobbies or activities requiring cash but the occaisonal excursion to Taco Bell or the inconvenient store. ;) But being Sunday, my thoughts instantly turned to the home church a couple doors down. They just had their third baby a couple months or so ago and I've been bringing them a platter of cookeis or cupcakes ever since. So I figured I'd take the fiver over and say it's my tithe for their church. But when I got there it occured if I say it's a tithe, they'll invite me to attend services. That's a "no" I wasn't looking fowards to so instead noticing their welcome mat was all crumpled up against the wall instead of in front of their door I placed the fiver under it in such a way that when they place the mat back in front of their door they'll notice the money. Figured it'd be a 'divine mystery' or however they interpret it. :) Also occured if I tried giving it to them, pride may make themd ecline, whereas this way, they dont' know who put it there so have to keep it. Better all around. :)

But Torah teaches that the best deeds, the ones that Ad-shem honors the most, are the ones that we commit and do not share with others.

I worked on a massive painting inspired by the Enûma Eliš all night long as part my sacred plot to resurrect the Pagan gods in the hearts and minds of Man.

I worked on a massive painting inspired by the Enûma Eliš all night long as part my sacred plot to resurrect the Pagan gods in the hearts and minds of Man.

You need not have bothered, the pagan gods are alive and well as evidenced by the posts on this forum.

Matthew 6 New International Version (NIV)
Giving to the Needy
6 “Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

2 “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

God is a she.

Get a grip. :slap:

I'll never see Hawaii, and I could give a fuck.

Giving to the Needy
6 “Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

2 “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

The only problem with verse two is that it's pretty darned inaccurate. Torah, Talmud, Mishnah and Gemarrah all teach that the highest form of giving is where the recipient doesn't even know who the giver was and the giver does not try to receive any attention for the good deed. So, although the verse may serve to make Christians somehow feel better about themselves, it has no real basis in reality. Now, Matthew may have been referring to some Saducees or Pharisees who did this, because, well, in every Religion you can find some real jerks, but most Jews back then and even now did not and do not do what that verse describes.

Word.

Last edited:
Giving to the Needy

The only problem with verse two is that it's pretty darned inaccurate. Torah, Talmud, Mishnah and Gemarrah all teach that the highest form of giving is where the recipient doesn't even know who the giver was and the giver does not try to receive any attention for the good deed. So, although the verse may serve to make Christians somehow feel better about themselves, it has no real basis in reality. Now, Matthew may have been referring to some Saducees or Pharisees who did this, because, well, in every Religion you can find some real jerks, but most Jews back then and even now did not and do not do what that verse describes.

Word.

ok. And you are agreeing with me.

Forum List

Back