The Drinking Age Is Past Its Prime

Here's an idea...

Keep the drinking age 21 for civilians, but if you have a valid military ID you can drink at 18.

Disagree completely. Why should someone get special rights just because they're in the military? If you're an adult at 18, then you're an adult at 18. We tell them they're adults, but then keep treating them like children. Just maybe that's why so many of them behave that way. 100 years ago teenagers were treated like and expected to act like adults. Then a bunch of quacks invented this concept of adolescence and it all went down hill from there.

The states are free to do whatever they want. Federal extortion was found unconstitutional in the ACA ruling.

No, they aren't. Any state that lowers the minimum consumption below 21 forfeits their highway funding. It's extortion.

Big Oil oligarchy got alcohol banned years ago in order to overtake alcohols automobile fuel market share.

They should just tax drinking alcohol at $1.91 a drink. Because that is what it cost the tax payers & the economy.

CDC study found that excessive alcohol drinking economic cost to the United States is $224 billion a year. Excessive alcohol consumption is responsible for an average of 80,000 deaths and 2.3 million years of potential life lost in the United States each year. Binge drinking is responsible for over half of these deaths and two-thirds of the years of life lost.

Here's an idea...

Keep the drinking age 21 for civilians, but if you have a valid military ID you can drink at 18.

Disagree completely. Why should someone get special rights just because they're in the military? If you're an adult at 18, then you're an adult at 18. We tell them they're adults, but then keep treating them like children. Just maybe that's why so many of them behave that way. 100 years ago teenagers were treated like and expected to act like adults. Then a bunch of quacks invented this concept of adolescence and it all went down hill from there.

I agree with most of what you post here. But I don't think we are going to cure the lack of maturity and responsibility among the 18 to 21 crowd by handing them a beer. Even if it is a 3.2 beer.

Last edited:
Here's an idea...

I agree that it should be 18 for everyone, that was offered as a compromise.

Personally, I could live with granting this one 'special' right to people willing to lay down their life for my freedom. But that's just me.

Here's an idea...

Personally, I could live with granting this one 'special' right to people willing to lay down their life for my freedom. But that's just me.

I'd rather have the age at 21 for drinking and enlisting.

But your parents should be able to sell you to the military at 13. ; )

There are cries in Australia for the drinking age to be increased from 18 to 21.
Too many irresponsible teens drinking, and causing mayhem...too many lives being lost, and too much violence.

There's always gotta be at least one asshole who ruins it for everybody. :)

There's more than one...alcohol-fueled violence is totally out of control.
So out of control that new "one punch" laws have been passed in the parliament.

One-punch alcohol laws passed by NSW Parliament - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Legislation to tackle alcohol-fuelled violence, including a controversial law for deadly one-punch assaults, has been passed by the New South Wales Parliament.

The Lower House approved the bill at lunchtime yesterday and the Upper House voted in favour shortly before 7pm (AEDT).

Among the initiatives are mandatory eight-year prison terms for anyone who fatally punches someone while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Then there's the sight of drunk teen girls sitting in the gutters of Kings Cross etc[the 'niteclub/entertainment districts'] basically dressed like hookers and throwing up [or not, just 'off their faces']...and other teen girls wandering thru the city after dark drinking out of wine cask bladders...and staggering about.

Not good when we're trying to raise "refined and classy young ladies" to be the nation's future female mentors and leaders.

Yes, with equality comes their right to be as obnoxious drunks as their male counterparts.

Who made it a rule that young women have to go out wearing 9" heels and dressed in skirts that resemble underwear?

I'd rather have the age at 21 for drinking and enlisting.

But your parents should be able to sell you to the military at 13. ; )

That just rolls into other issues though. The military is a job training program and a way for many to get college money. So what do those people do for the three years between high school and being able to persue a career?

I agree with selling them though. :D

Here's an idea...

as a beer worker....i hate the 21 yr old age limit....i cannot tell you how many times i have fought with a military person....getting ready to be deployed who just wants to sit at the house and have a few beers...they will give me their military id even when they are underage....then the fuss begins...."you are underage" 'yes ma'am' "then you know i cant sell to you" 'i am deployed tomorrow next week next month etc and so forth' wtf does one say.....hell i am never one for the law.....i just take my chances

The idea was to keep alcohol away from teens, where the majority of teen car fatalities involved alcohol. As much as I would oppose the policy, it worked. When the drinking age went up to 21 the death rate from alcohol-related traffic fatalities in the under 21 crowd went down.

Of course you can argue its people's responsibility not to drink and drive but remember that the next time so vodka fueled 19 year old runs into your wife's car and kills her.

By the 'saving lives' standard, it can be argued that gun control laws work too. IMO, that alone is wildly insufficient to conclude that it's sound policy.

No, gun control laws have shown no ability to lower crime, not at all. Raising the drinking age did reduce teen traffic fatality. You can argue all day but those are the facts.

The idea was to keep alcohol away from teens, where the majority of teen car fatalities involved alcohol. As much as I would oppose the policy, it worked. When the drinking age went up to 21 the death rate from alcohol-related traffic fatalities in the under 21 crowd went down.

Of course you can argue its people's responsibility not to drink and drive but remember that the next time so vodka fueled 19 year old runs into your wife's car and kills her.

By the 'saving lives' standard, it can be argued that gun control laws work too. IMO, that alone is wildly insufficient to conclude that it's sound policy.

No, gun control laws have shown no ability to lower crime, not at all. Raising the drinking age did reduce teen traffic fatality. You can argue all day but those are the facts.

Who said anything about crime?

I sure didn't.

Here's an idea.

Don't let people enlist until they are 21.

18 year old's are the most violent & deadly age group. That is why the military wants them & others want them sent there.

table4.gif

Really loving all the "small government" being espoused by the conservatives in this thread. Entirely predictable since they don't actually believe in it.

That is really lame, there is a place for government, this happens to be one of them, we have a big enough problem with 21+ drinking drivers, there's no need to add millions of 18+ to the mix. Actually I should say millions of 16+ because the ones 18 will provide alcohol to their younger friends, just like 21 year olds do now.

Same argument can be made for gun ownership.

And they don't have these problems in Europe because it's not an age factor; it's a cultural issue made worse by prohibition.

What ever happened to the Tenth Amendment argument?

The same argument could not be made for gun ownership for a variety of reasons.
They dont have these problems in Europe because the cost of getting a driver's license is enormous, and the penalties for drunk driving are far worse. But many fewer people have licenses to begin with.

Who said anything about crime?

I sure didn't.

Oh OK, sorry. Gun control doesnt reduce deaths.
Feel better, now?

The states are free to do whatever they want. Federal extortion was found unconstitutional in the ACA ruling.

No, they aren't. Any state that lowers the minimum consumption below 21 forfeits their highway funding. It's extortion.

The court said the feds can not withdraw existing funds for them failing to comply with a fed mandate. I think if the states chose to change the age, considering that ruling the states could win and keep their funding.

Kinda stupid thing to say. Let's get rid of the seatbelt laws too, sure don't want big government.:eusa_whistle:

Actually, it's a perfectly reasonable hypocrisy to point out and I completely agree. I've always opposed seat belt laws. They don't exist for anyone's safety. They exist to criminalize behavior as a method of extracting more money from people to feed into the government coffers.

So now the Tenth Amendment is suddenly out the window because you happen to agree with this form of big government?

:lol: you are a sore loser, bub

Forum List

Back