The hidden meltdown of Greenland

You are wrong.
Really?

"Warm water was there, but deep under the cold, icy surface. So the climate experience was colder, as the atmospheric records from Greenland ice cores show. But what eventually happened, is that the warm water reached a critical point, surged upwards to the surface, and contributed to the abrupt warming of the surface water and atmosphere," says Ezat.

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140916084821.htm

I thought I remembered seeing something about it somewhere.
[/FONT]

Your article does not even hint that ice ages were due to changes in the Gulf Stream. So, yes, you are wrong.

There is an absolutely fascinating book by Jared Diamond, called Collapse, that has a very definative history of the viking settlements in Greenland. I suggest that anyone that wants to comment on that period read it before commenting.

Did it get colder in Greenland while they were there? Did GISS measure the temperature from the 12th century accurate to a tenth of a degree?

Frank wrote: Why is it called Greenland

I dunno...

... mebbe it's `cause it was the first Green land...

... the Vikings saw when dey sailed the ocean blue.

hmm it was Green in recent history, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight?

Actually yes it was. The Vikings settled it.

It has not been particularly green within human history. It was named Greenland in an attempt to get people to come settle the place. Iceland has far more open land and vegetation than Greenland.

From Wikipedia
It was the early Norwegian settlers who gave the country the name Greenland. In the Icelandic sagas, it is said that the Norwegian-born Icelander Erik the Red was exiled from Iceland for manslaughter. Along with his extended family and histhralls, he set out in ships to explore icy land known to lie to the northwest. After finding a habitable area and settling there, he named it Grœnland (translated as "Greenland"), supposedly in the hope that the pleasant name would attract settlers.[1
Total bullshit.

61GgR8iZI1L._SL1024_.jpg

What a world, what a world!!

You are wrong.
Really?

"Warm water was there, but deep under the cold, icy surface. So the climate experience was colder, as the atmospheric records from Greenland ice cores show. But what eventually happened, is that the warm water reached a critical point, surged upwards to the surface, and contributed to the abrupt warming of the surface water and atmosphere," says Ezat.

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140916084821.htm

I thought I remembered seeing something about it somewhere.
[/FONT]

Your article does not even hint that ice ages were due to changes in the Gulf Stream. So, yes, you are wrong.

OH?

"It is widely thought that during cold periods of the last Ice Age the warm Atlantic water had stopped its flow into the Nordic Seas.

I dunno...

Probably the bottom part of it was green, the top part probably wasn't. They only settled in the bottom part.

Yup, was supposedly green all the way to the 70th parallel.

Supposedly.....? Meaning....?

I dunno...

Probably the bottom part of it was green, the top part probably wasn't. They only settled in the bottom part.

Because only the bottom half used SUV's?

If you go on about how Greenland was called Greenland, maybe it was green, green at the parts where people live, and not green all the way through, right?

Greenland today

sisimiut_greenland.jpg

Look white to you?

I dunno...

If you go on about how Greenland was called Greenland, maybe it was green, green at the parts where people live, and not green all the way through, right?

Greenland today

sisimiut_greenland.jpg

Look white to you?

So it was and is green

I dunno...

Greenland today

sisimiut_greenland.jpg

Look white to you?

Racist pig.

I dunno...

Greenland today

sisimiut_greenland.jpg

Look white to you?

So it was and is green

Here is a little known fact, Greenland was originally called "Whiteland" until the damned oil companies came into existence.

I dunno...

Greenland today

sisimiut_greenland.jpg

Look white to you?

So it was and is green

Which is besides the point here.

220px-Arctic_cultures_900-1500.png

Settlements have always been on the coast. The Thule (blue) are Inuit, so they lived in northern areas. The Vikings were only in a very small part.

800px-Greenland_ice_sheet_AMSL_thickness_map-en.png

You can see what Greenland looks like, the coastal areas don't have the ice sheet, the inland areas DO have a permanent ice sheet.

Arctic_Temperature_Trend_1987-2007.jpg

This is the temperature trend from 1981 to 2007

Greenland ice sheet melted at unprecedented rate during July

"
Scientists at Nasa admitted they thought satellite readings were a mistake after images showed 97% surface melt over four days"

Forum List

Back