The invention of algebra. Algebra is an Arabic word. Algorithm is an Arabic word. Two thirds of the stars in the night sky that have Arabic names

Procrustes Stretched

This place is nothing without the membership.
Dec 1, 2008
Neil is fascinating here. No so much for what he discusses or addresses that may be unknown to people, but in how he strings disparate things together. Whats truly interesting to me is how here he soon addresses the religious culture wars -- the religious right in America and how it mirrors what we see in the fall of Islamic/Arabic wonders.

And the Sack of Baghdad. What was that about? Do people really know? Do they care?

video: 2:26
A thousand years ago the intellectual center of the world was Baghdad. Baghdad. Europe was busy disemboweling Heretics at the time. Baghdad was open to all thought at the time, between AD 800 and 1100 around there. If you look at the advances that unfolded in that period in that location, it includes the invention of algebra. Algebra is an Arabic word. Algorithm is an Arabic word. Two thirds of the stars in the night sky that have names, have Arabic names. How does that happen just what where did the naming rights come from?

Neil is fascinating here. No so much for what he discusses or addresses that may be unknown to people, but in how he strings disparate things together. Whats truly interesting to me is how here he soon addresses the religious culture wars -- the religious right in America and how it mirrors what we see in the fall of Islamic/Arabic wonders.

And the Sack of Baghdad. What was that about? Do people really know? Do they care?

A thousand years ago the intellectual center of the world was Baghdad. Baghdad. Europe was busy disemboweling Heretics at the time. Baghdad was open to all thought at the time, between AD 800 and 1100 around there. If you look at the advances that unfolded in that period in that location, it includes the invention of algebra. Algebra is an Arabic word. Algorithm is an Arabic word. Two thirds of the stars in the night sky that have names, have Arabic names. How does that happen just what where did the naming rights come from?

so true---Baghdad was a cultural center and Algebra is an arabic word----the land of Baghdad---had been invaded by ARAB MUSLIMS---the MINIONS OF MUHUHMMAD----but at the time it was invaded it was ALREADY A CULTURAL CENTER----why? because of the presence of educated Christians, Jews, and Zoroastrians. I speak english----I am not an anglican. Paris may
become a MUSLIM LAND in the future by virtual of demographics---that fact does not make CREPES SUZETTE---muslim cuisine. Long ago when I came into contact with muslims----I "learned" that muslims "invented" CHAPATTIS AND DAL ---that was the MOGHUL empire that got the "credit"

The Arabs that gave us algebra, the zero, and scientific wonders are no longer with us and they left no descendants. They were slaughtered by ignorant, savage, desert tribesmen.
the arabs gave us arabic---not zero and no scientific wonders. \
The British gave us ENGLISH----but not the WHEEL

Maybe that's why they are so good with creating bombs, explosive devices and flying airplanes into buildings.

so true---Baghdad was a cultural center and Algebra is an arabic word----the land of Baghdad---had been invaded by ARAB MUSLIMS---the MINIONS OF MUHUHMMAD----but at the time it was invaded it was ALREADY A CULTURAL CENTER----why? because of the presence of educated Christians, Jews, and Zoroastrians. I speak english----I am not an anglican. Paris may
become a MUSLIM LAND in the future by virtual of demographics---that fact does not make CREPES SUZETTE---muslim cuisine. Long ago when I came into contact with muslims----I "learned" that muslims "invented" CHAPATTIS AND DAL ---that was the MOGHUL empire that got the "credit"
Chappattis & Dal are a Hindu invention. Existed long before Muslims or the Moghuls ever set foot in India.

The Arabs that gave us algebra, the zero, and scientific wonders are no longer with us and they left no descendants. They were slaughtered by ignorant, savage, desert tribesmen.
You consider the Mongol Empire to be ignorant, savage, desert tribesmen? That sounds like the early Hebrews that sacked and slaughtered their way into what became Israel.

the Mongol army were Arab Muslims?

the arabs gave us arabic---not zero and no scientific wonders. \
The British gave us ENGLISH----but not the WHEEL

The western world was busy disemboweling Heretics at the time that Baghdad was the cultural, intellectual, and scientific center of the world.

Maybe that's why they are so good with creating bombs, explosive devices and flying airplanes into buildings.
Huh?

The people here were not the later people's of Islam. Religious leaders took over -- in culture wars. They deemed math the work of the devil..I can't believe you're so ignorant.

Chappattis & Dal are a Hindu invention. Existed long before Muslims or the Moghuls ever set foot in India.
thanks----I knew that----I was TRANSMITTING that which the young muslim docs I knew back then decided was MOGHUL EMPIRE. It is likely that you do not know----that just as Jerusalem and Haifa and Jaffa are "MUSLIM LAND" ----the entire of South east ASIA is also MUSLIM LAND----to wit MOGHUL EMPIRE

thanks----I knew that----I was TRANSMITTING that which the young muslim docs I knew back then decided was MOGHUL EMPIRE. It is likely that you do not know----that just as Jerusalem and Haifa and Jaffa are "MUSLIM LAND" ----the entire of South east ASIA is also MUSLIM LAND----to wit MOGHUL EMPIRE
So of people who are ignorant you use their ignorance to make a point?

BILL MOYERS: I wonder what it would have meant to us if somewhere along the way, we had begun the prayer “Our Mother,” instead of “Our Father.” What psychological difference would it have made?

JOSEPH CAMPBELL: Well, it makes a psychological difference in the character of the cultures. You have the basic birth of civilization in the Near East with the great river valleys then as the main source areas, the Nile, the Tigris-Euphrates, and then over in India, the Indus valley and later the Ganges. This is the world of the goddess; all these rivers have goddess names finally.

Then there come the invasions. These fighting people are herding people. The Semites are herders of goats and sheep, and the Indo-Europeans of cattle. They were formerly the hunters. They translate a hunting mythology into a herding mythology, but it’s animal oriented. And when you have hunters you have killers, and when you have herders, you have killers, because they’re always in movement, nomadic, coming into conflict with other people and they have to conquer the area they move into. This comes into the Near East, and this brings in the warrior gods, like Zeus, like Yahweh.

BILL MOYERS: The sword and death, instead of fertility.

JOSEPH CAMPBELL: Right. Particularly the Hebrews. They really wipe out the goddess. The term for the goddess, the Canaanite goddess, that’s used in the Old Testament, is “the abomination.” And there was a very strong accent against the goddess in the Hebrew, which you do not find in the Indo-European. There you have Zeus marrying the goddess and then the two play together. I think it’s an extreme case that we have in the Bible, and our own Western subjugation of the female is really, I think, a function of biblical thinking.

BILL MOYERS: Because when you substitute the male for the female, you get a different psychology, a different cultural bias.

JOSEPH CAMPBELL: Particularly if you cut the female out and don’t have any — I mean, if the male is on top like this and the female is the subordinate all the way, you have a totally different system from that when the two are facing each other.

Nope, it is not. Certain parts of SE Asia does have a huge Muslim population- Indonesia comes to mind, but no way are they Muslim Land. Still less a Moghul empire. The Moghuls were only a part of Northern India.

Nope, it is not. Certain parts of SE Asia does have a huge Muslim population- Indonesia comes to mind, but no way are they Muslim Land. Still less a Moghul empire. The Moghuls were only a part of Northern India.
But, but, but...

BILL MOYERS: I wonder what it would have meant to us if somewhere along the way, we had begun the prayer “Our Mother,” instead of “Our Father.” What psychological difference would it have made?

JOSEPH CAMPBELL: Well, it makes a psychological difference in the character of the cultures. You have the basic birth of civilization in the Near East with the great river valleys then as the main source areas, the Nile, the Tigris-Euphrates, and then over in India, the Indus valley and later the Ganges. This is the world of the goddess; all these rivers have goddess names finally.

Then there come the invasions. These fighting people are herding people. The Semites are herders of goats and sheep, and the Indo-Europeans of cattle. They were formerly the hunters. They translate a hunting mythology into a herding mythology, but it’s animal oriented. And when you have hunters you have killers, and when you have herders, you have killers, because they’re always in movement, nomadic, coming into conflict with other people and they have to conquer the area they move into. This comes into the Near East, and this brings in the warrior gods, like Zeus, like Yahweh.

BILL MOYERS: The sword and death, instead of fertility.

JOSEPH CAMPBELL: Right. Particularly the Hebrews. They really wipe out the goddess. The term for the goddess, the Canaanite goddess, that’s used in the Old Testament, is “the abomination.” And there was a very strong accent against the goddess in the Hebrew, which you do not find in the Indo-European. There you have Zeus marrying the goddess and then the two play together. I think it’s an extreme case that we have in the Bible, and our own Western subjugation of the female is really, I think, a function of biblical thinking.

BILL MOYERS: Because when you substitute the male for the female, you get a different psychology, a different cultural bias.

JOSEPH CAMPBELL: Particularly if you cut the female out and don’t have any — I mean, if the male is on top like this and the female is the subordinate all the way, you have a totally different system from that when the two are facing each other.
thanks----I never considered Campbell to be much of a scholar---I watched his televised stuff for thousands of hours---but not impressed

Forum List

Back