The job markets is screwed for the younger generation

Now there are about 5 million jobs in this nation going begging. Jobs for tradesmen like electricians and millwrights. Jobs that pay between 60 and 100K. Many Community Colleges have courses that will get you in the door in an apprentice ship program. I could not help but think, as I read the OP, here is one of those fellows that is too damned good to get dirty, sweaty, and greasy, bitching about his lack of money, when his primary lack is a willingness to do the work that industry needs. As a millwright ending a 50 year career in the the next couple of years, I have seen many tradesmen whose total life wages exceeded the income of many professionals.

Yes, you have to be willing to work mandated overtime during maintenance shutdowns, and, on occasion, work right around the clock to get the mill up an running. But that is what makes a journey level tradesman. Such people are seldom out of work, and are often recruited by employers even while they are working for other people.

You want to be employed? Learn to do something useful that a machine cannot do. Because the machine that puts you out of work is the machine that is more unemployment insurance for people like me.
A} enjoy your retirement........B} I dont think there is enough emphasis on the trade sector to kids coming out of HS... many with no direction that a trade would fill nicely. HS fixation on college has to be broken

I hope this level of success continues that way we can finally see what party has the better economic philosophy.

Forum List

Back