The making of a society

Apr 17, 2018
What kind of a society would I generate, if part of my country's education system, included a standardized classroom, that students were required to attend, and pass tests on in order to graduate from High School, called and "Behavioral Ethics and Social Skills Class" ?

And these were the Book Titles (they are taught in this order, one by one) ,and yes they are real books..
Each subject is made up of a series of books, and constitutes a "level".

Level One : Personal Behavior.

*The Developing Mind, How Relationships and the Brain interact to shape who we are.
*The Book of Manners.
*Dude, That's Rude.
*How to Speak Politely and WHY.
*The Amy Vanderbilt Complete Book of Etiquette.

Level Two : Proper Dress

*Freakin' Fabulous. How to Dress, Speak,Behave, Eat, Drink, Entertain, Decorate and generally be better than everyone else.
*The Professional Image
*How to Live like a Lady, Lessons in Life, Manners and Style.
*Brides Book of Etiquette

Level Three : Anger and Frustration.

*Anger, the Misunderstood Emotion
*The Dance of Anger
*Beyond Anger, a Guide for Men.
*The Anger Work Book
*Letting go of Anger
*RAGE, a step by step guide to overcoming explosive anger.
*The Anger Control Workbook.
*The Anger Trap, Free yourself from frustrations that sabotage your life.
*The Anger Workbook for Women.
*Good Angry, letting go of irritation, complaining and Bitterness.
*The Anger Management workbook for Men
*Surviving in an Angry World.
*Beating Anger, the 8-point plan for coping with rage
*When Anger Hurts, Quieting the storm

* Emotional First Aid Practical Strategies for Treating Failure, Rejection, Guilt and Other Everyday Psychological Injuries.

Level Four : Relationships

*Love Does
*Everybody Always
*The 5 Love Languages
*All About Love
*Hold Me Tight
*Getting the Love you want
*Romancing Wisconsin
Only Love is Real
*Relationship Rescue

*Trauma & Recovery
*Surviving Domestic Abuse
*Stolen Years, a True story of Domestic Abuse and survival
*Recovering from Domestic Abuse, Violence and Stalking
*The Heart of Domestic Abuse
*A Cry for Justice
*When Domestic Violence Begins at Home

Level Five : Marriage

*The Seven Principles of making marriage Work.
*Proper Care and Feeding of Marriage
*Boundaries in Marriage

Level Six : Work Ethic

*Honest Work, a Business Ethics Reader

Level Seven : Civilization

*The Duty to Obey the Law

There are too many societal alternatives and pressures that would render such material useless.

If I were to add a curriculum, it would be a requirement to pass one full semester of fundamental economics and one full semester of personal economics.

That would be aside from the obvious, which would be to jettison the cultural rot that is turning our kids into hypersensitive, narcissistic, open emotional wounds, such as safe spaces, trigger warnings, cultural appropriation and the rest.

Last edited:
There are too many societal alternatives and pressures that would render such material useless.

If I were to add a curriculum, it would be a requirement to pass one full semester of fundamental economics and one full semester of personal economics.

That would be aside from the obvious, which would be to jettison the cultural rot that is turning our kids into hypersensitive, narcissistic, open emotional wounds, such as safe spaces, trigger warnings, cultural appropriation and the rest.

Of course, you are referring to other people's kids, right?

That would be aside from the obvious, which would be to jettison the cultural rot that is turning our kids into hypersensitive, narcissistic, open emotional wounds, such as safe spaces, trigger warnings, cultural appropriation and the rest..
^^^ .... and one of those who enable the rot chimes in to self-identify. Again.

That would be aside from the obvious, which would be to jettison the cultural rot that is turning our kids into hypersensitive, narcissistic, open emotional wounds, such as safe spaces, trigger warnings, cultural appropriation and the rest..

You didn't answer the question. How did you raise kids who aren't "open wounds" in this decaying society?

How to make a society ...

SNES_SIMCITY_M.jpg

You didn't answer the question. How did you raise kids who aren't "open wounds" in this decaying society?
And right to the Straw Man. I didn't say that. Everyone is affected to some degree by what you people have done.

Thanks for making a general, macro comment personal, bringing my kids into it. It displays what you are.

And right to the Straw Man. I didn't say that. Everyone is affected to some degree by what you people have done.

Thanks for making a general, macro comment personal, bringing my kids into it. It displays what you are.

Oh no! I've offended Mac by asking him to teach the rest of us how to raise "normal" kids in the decaying society that I have helped create. Can you feel the PC?

Oh no! I've offended Mac by asking him to teach the rest of us how to raise "normal" kids in the decaying society that I have helped create. Can you feel the PC?
You've lied and you've brought my kids into it.

You're ugly.

And I'm thrilled that your freedom of expression reveals you for what you are. You confirm my opinion of you with virtually every post.

So, nice try.

Last edited:

What's the difference between "fundamental" economics and "personal" economics? does "fundamental" economics not apply to individual "persons"?

... and what's with the "requirements" , isn't that part of the problem with our education system? we try to shoe horn every student into a tighter and tighter box regardless of whether or not a given curriculum is suitable for the students aptitudes and interests.

What's the difference between "fundamental" economics and "personal" economics? does "fundamental" economics not apply to individual "persons"?

... and what's with the "requirements" , isn't that part of the problem with our education system? we try to shoe horn every student into a tighter and tighter box regardless of whether or not a given curriculum is suitable for the students aptitudes and interests.
Fundamental macroeconomics, such as the way the economy works, supply & demand, market dynamics.

No, I think requirements, standards and expectations are necessary so that we know our children are progressing at a pace that does not leave them behind.

The only question is what the requirements are. Math, reading, English, science, etc. There are not many more topics more useful on a personal level than economics.

Fundamental macroeconomics, such as the way the economy works, supply & demand, market dynamics.
What you got something against MICROeconomics ? Personally I think MICRO has far more practical applications in most peoples daily lives that an understanding of MACRO. ;)

No, I think requirements, standards and expectations are necessary so that we know our children are progressing at a pace that does not leave them behind.
Requirements, standards and expectations are three distinctly different things, you don't need specific subject matter requirements in order to set standards or expectations, for example I wouldn't think it would be beneficial to require a music prodigy to take economics if said music prodigy had not the slightest interest or aptitude for the subject, after all we have the magic of the specialization of labor to take care of said musical prodigies "economic understanding" needs.

You've lied and you've brought my kids into it.

You're ugly.

And I'm thrilled that your freedom of expression reveals you for what you are. You confirm my opinion of you with virtually every post.

So, nice try.

If only everyone else had the key to raising good kids in an America ruined by regressives! Too bad for them.

What you got something against MICROeconomics ? Personally I think MICRO has far more practical applications in most peoples daily lives that an understanding of MACRO. ;)

Requirements, standards and expectations are three distinctly different things, you don't need specific subject matter requirements in order to set standards or expectations, for example I wouldn't think it would be beneficial to require a music prodigy to take economics if said music prodigy had not the slightest interest or aptitude for the subject, after all we have the magic of the specialization of labor to take care of said musical prodigies "economic understanding" needs.
A knowledge of macroeconomics informs one's knowledge of microeconomics, and vice versa. That's why I'd want one semester of each.

It could be argued that we don't necessarily need to teach a music prodigy anything about math or science either. But we know that a well-rounded education stimulates and exercises different kinds of thought processes, which have valuable everyday applications.

A knowledge of macroeconomics informs one's knowledge of microeconomics, and vice versa.
IMHO most people have very little use for macroeconomics in their daily lives since it affects them in ways that they have little or no control over, for example does an understanding of International Trade offer any benefit to the average Joe? What about understanding how unemployment or GDP are calculated? Those are great things to know if you want to be say an Entrepreneur but of little use if your aptitude and interests are more suited to that of an astrophysicist.

It could be argued that we don't necessarily need to teach a music prodigy anything about math or science either.
Yep.... For example why would I force Mozart to take a physics class if he had no interest in it? It would be just a waste of his time & energy.

But we know that a well-rounded education stimulates and exercises different kinds of thought processes, which have valuable everyday applications.
Define "well-rounded" and while you're at it define "valuable everyday applications", valuable to whom? what applications?

In case you haven't guessed it , I'm an advocate of an education system that teaches students how to learn rather than telling them what to learn. ;)

A knowledge of macroeconomics informs one's knowledge of microeconomics, and vice versa.
IMHO most people have very little use for macroeconomics in their daily lives since it affects them in ways that they have little or no control over, for example does an understanding of International Trade offer any benefit to the average Joe? What about understanding how unemployment or GDP are calculated? Those are great things to know if you want to be say an Entrepreneur but of little use if your aptitude and interests are more suited to that of an astrophysicist.

It could be argued that we don't necessarily need to teach a music prodigy anything about math or science either.
Yep.... For example why would I force Mozart to take a physics class if he had no interest in it? It would be just a waste of his time & energy.

But we know that a well-rounded education stimulates and exercises different kinds of thought processes, which have valuable everyday applications.
Define "well-rounded" and while you're at it define "valuable everyday applications", valuable to whom? what applications?

In case you haven't guessed it , I'm an advocate of an education system that teaches students how to learn rather than telling them what to learn. ;)
Not sure how else to put it. Different kinds of curriculum make us think differently, approach problems differently, exercise different thought processes.

I too am less concerned about the specifics of what is taught than I am about having a variety of intellectual approaches to problem-solving, we just look at it differently.

The narrower in approach to something, the less likely we are to find an effective answer. I want a kid to be able to be able to flex their intellectual muscles from any number of angles.

Forum List

Back