The Marijuana Made Me Do It!!!

Granny says, "Dat's right - it'll make ya goofy an' drive ya crazy, like Uncle Ferd...

Decreasing Stigma of Smoking Pot Poses Increased Danger to Mentally Ill
September 15, 2014 --As public support for the legalization of marijuana grows and the stigma surrounding its use lessens, many people suffering from mental illness are unaware that smoking pot could actually make their condition worse.
“Marijuana interacts with their disease,” said Karen E. Moeller, a psychiatric pharmacist at the University of Kansas Medical Center, in an interview with CNSNews.com. “People with mental illness or people in general don’t always know all the side effects.” “Sometimes marijuana can worsen your anxiety,” she explained. “(If the patient has) schizophrenia, it could make them more paranoid than normal, possibly could worsen their hallucinations. (For patients with depression) it can actually worsen their depression, make them more numb.” According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), there is also a documented link between marijuana use and the development of psychosis, especially for those who start using pot in adolescence.

NIDA also notes that “associations have also been found between marijuana use and other mental health problems such as suicidal thoughts among adolescents, and personality disturbances, including a lack of motivation to engage in typically rewarding activities.” There is some evidence that marijuana can even trigger mental illness. One study published in The Lancet found the chances of developing schizophrenia increase six-fold in heavy marijuana smokers as compared to non-users. However, since 2007 the drug has grown in popularity among young people, who have a “diminishing perception of the drug’s risks,” due in large part to “increased public debate over the drug’s legal status,” according to NIDA.

Those with mental illness are especially at risk for becoming drug abusers. Among the 43.7 million adults suffering from any form of mental illness, 19.2 percent (8.4 million adults) met the criteria for a substance use disorder, according to a 2012 survey by the Department of Health and Human Services. Almost a third of those with a serious mental illness also had substance dependency or abuse problems. In comparison, only 6.4 percent of people without a mental illness were substance abusers.

Many mentally ill people use controlled drugs like marijuana because they think it will help them, not knowing that it can often cause more harm than good. “Most of our patients do use marijuana,” Moeller confessed. “It’s actually really hard to get patients off marijuana because they think of it as something that will calm them down.” “We had a person who was getting marijuana from Colorado, saying he was using it for his headaches,” she recounted. “He had to drop out of school because of all the substances he was using, but he kept thinking that the marijuana-- because it’s an herbal medication and states are now allowing its legal use-- that it’s safe to use. He couldn't fathom how it could affect his mental illness.”

MORE

In my experience, those who smoke pot are the ones who can LEAST afford the potential side effects, but isn't it that way with everything? I mean look at smokers, anyone wanna guess on what percentage of people on SNAP smoke for instance?

In my experience, those who smoke pot are the ones who can LEAST afford the potential side effects, but isn't it that way with everything? I mean look at smokers, anyone wanna guess on what percentage of people on SNAP smoke for instance?

Why guess? Why not just tell us. Do you think the percentage is greater than that of people who are not on snap?

Why guess? Why not just tell us. Do you think the percentage is greater than that of people who are not on snap?

Do I think a higher percentage of Americans are on SNAP than smoke? Yes, absolutely.

I also believe a large percentage of people on SNAP smoke than those who are not on SNAP.

Do I think a higher percentage of Americans are on SNAP than smoke? Yes, absolutely.

I also believe a large percentage of people on SNAP smoke than those who are not on SNAP.

You believe? Is that like believing in unicorns and the tooth fairy?

You suggested that the number of people on SNAP who smoke is large. I asked you if it is larger than the number of people that are not on snap who smoke.

The possible answers are "yes", "no", or "I don't know.....I was just talking out of my ass".

Forum List

Back