🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

The NSC Was Overpoliticized during Obama's Years

D

Dim Bulb

I think everyone can agree that political considerations should be secondary to the national security interests involved in the NSC, can we not?

That's why I was shocked to see the massive reduction of headcount in the NSC to pre 9/11 levels under the new administration. Many of these are geographic experts, similar to analysts at the CIA. They provide valuable data to senior members of the advisory staff.

And I was even more shocked to see the political considerations coming to the forefront by removing people like the head of the NDI and Joint Chief. And putting Bannon on it? I'm struggling to understand how this streamlining will give President Trump what he desperately needs in uncertain times: Unvarnished data not viewed through a political lens. I feel like that was a terrible mistake in the Obama administration because it led to feckless inaction. In the Trump administration it appears that it could lead to precipitous actions being taken without proper contemplation.

I think everyone can agree that political considerations should be secondary to the national security interests involved in the NSC, can we not?

That's why I was shocked to see the massive reduction of headcount in the NSC to pre 9/11 levels under the new administration. Many of these are geographic experts, similar to analysts at the CIA. They provide valuable data to senior members of the advisory staff.

And I was even more shocked to see the political considerations coming to the forefront by removing people like the head of the NDI and Joint Chief. And putting Bannon on it? I'm struggling to understand how this streamlining will give President Trump what he desperately needs in uncertain times: Unvarnished data not viewed through a political lens. I feel like that was a terrible mistake in the Obama administration because it led to feckless inaction. In the Trump administration it appears that it could lead to precipitous actions being taken without proper contemplation.
It felt like a kick in the gut when I read of the appointment this morning. Pretty much the same stun I felt as when I realized GWB was going to pull off the invasion of Iraq. Trump gives Bannon NSC role

In the Trump administration it appears that it could lead to precipitous actions being taken without proper contemplation.

Nonsense.

Impulsive orange clown taking actions without proper contemplation is EXACTLY what Americans voted into White House, they will get nothing less.

Sounds like he's trimming a lot of useless federal fat. Long overdue. And you have no details about it, just more hysteria.

In the Trump administration it appears that it could lead to precipitous actions being taken without proper contemplation.

Nonsense.

Impulsive orange clown taking actions without proper contemplation is EXACTLY what Americans voted into White House, they will get nothing less.
Uhm yeah, thanks for your input ....

iu

Sounds like he's trimming a lot of useless federal fat. Long overdue. And you have no details about it, just more hysteria.

If you think that post is hysterical, you maybe haven't seen some other posts on this Board. This is an area with which I've dealt extensively and can tell you that there are two real problems: One is inaction through analysis paralysis (Obama) and the other is action fitting political beliefs (Bush). Do you disagree that taking action with a proper and balanced amount of information is a good thing?

If you think that post is hysterical, you maybe haven't seen some other posts on this Board. This is an area with which I've dealt extensively and can tell you that there are two real problems: One is inaction through analysis paralysis (Obama) and the other is action fitting political beliefs (Bush). Do you disagree that taking action with a proper and balanced amount of information is a good thing?
Sure, where's your balanced analysis? So far it's just been a kneejerk reaction.

Sure, where's your balanced analysis? So far it's just been a kneejerk reaction.

I'm not on the NSC. I am advocating that the NSC prepare and report fair, unvarnished facts to decisionmakers. My point in this post is that Obama's administration erred on overpoliticization in the NSC. It led to bad decisions. Seeing professionals like the NDI and Joint chief taken off gives me discomfort that decisions will be made on a political basis without proper thought. Two sides of the same coin. If stating a concern is "kneejerk" to you, then we disagree on whether stating concerns is a problem.

Two sides of the same coin. If stating a concern is "kneejerk" to you, then we disagree on whether stating concerns is a problem.
Well take your concerns to the White House, what do you want us to do about it?

I was under the mistaken impression that this was a message board for discussion of political concerns. Sounds like maybe you disagree with me. No problem, we're still fellow citizens. And I really like your handle.

Two sides of the same coin. If stating a concern is "kneejerk" to you, then we disagree on whether stating concerns is a problem.

I was under the mistaken impression that this was a message board for discussion of political concerns. Sounds like maybe you disagree with me. No problem, we're still fellow citizens. And I really like your handle.

If Trump was doing this against the wishes of his cabinet and those that surround him, I would be leery also. He isn't from what I see.

You need understand that the 3 most politicized departments in Washington are State, EPA, and NEA. To leave people in positions of power who do not agree with your agenda would be crazy. Obama didn't, or weren't you aware of that?

This whole thing is a narrative not based on reality. If you are honestly a middle of the road kinda person, before you post how shocking something is that is happening under Trump, you need go back and see if it happened under previous administrations. Don't fall prey to the narrative, look into it yourself. Once you do that, you will understand that what is happening is how America did business for decades, it is legal, and that what you are hearing is a bunch of baloney to make you feel uneasy. YOU are being manipulated by political forces, and you are unwittingly letting them do it! And to think----->there isn't even a national election for 17 months or so. Obviously, the left is starting early-)

If Trump was doing this against the wishes of his cabinet and those that surround him, I would be leery also. He isn't from what I see.

You need understand that the 3 most politicized departments in Washington are State, EPA, and NEA. To leave people in positions of power who do not agree with your agenda would be crazy. Obama didn't, or weren't you aware of that?

This whole thing is a narrative not based on reality. If you are honestly a middle of the road kinda person, before you post how shocking something is that is happening under Trump, you need go back and see if it happened under previous administrations. Don't fall prey to the narrative, look into it yourself. Once you do that, you will understand that what is happening is how America did business for decades, it is legal, and that what you are hearing is a bunch of baloney to make you feel uneasy. YOU are being manipulated by political forces, and you are unwittingly letting them do it! And to think----->there isn't even a national election for 17 months or so. Obviously, the left is starting early-)

Umm, that's exactly what I did. Taking the intelligence and military people off the top of this structure makes no sense. It makes even less sense replacing them with a political person (Bannon). I've seen this before with Bush, Obama and now I see history repeating itself. Read what I said happened under Obama and what it led to.

But there wasn't anything in particular to discuss. Obama politicized everything and Trump cutting something doesn't mean it was done blindly. If you have something that makes that case then post it up so we can discuss it.

But there wasn't anything in particular to discuss. Obama politicized everything and Trump cutting something doesn't mean it was done blindly. If you have something that makes that case then post it up so we can discuss it.

I liked your post over on the satire board, that was funny and true both.

Let me make my point really simple: Obama politicized the NSC and it led to bad results. Trump is taking off intelligence and military professionals and replacing them with a political guy. Ergo, I worry about the same result. It sounds like you aren't worried about it, and so we disagree. I can live with that. Hope I'm wrong.

Let me make my point really simple: Obama politicized the NSC and it led to bad results. Trump is taking off intelligence and military professionals and replacing them with a political guy. Ergo, I worry about the same result. It sounds like you aren't worried about it, and so we disagree. I can live with that. Hope I'm wrong.
Except that obama's intelligence and military guys were political. So far Trump's picks look outstanding so e could wait longer than a week long administration to wring our hands.

Let me make my point really simple: Obama politicized the NSC and it led to bad results. Trump is taking off intelligence and military professionals and replacing them witgh a political guy. Ergo, I worry about the same result. It sounds like you aren't worried about it, and so we disagree. I can live with that. Hope I'm wrong.
Except that obama's intelligence and military guys were political. So far Trump's picks look outstanding so e could wait longer than a week long administration to wring our hands.

As I said above, it sounds like you disagree with contemplating the possibility that these changes could lead to bad results. I'm okay with you not thinking it is worth thinking about right now. I do. No biggie.

Forum List

Back