🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

The Nuking of Nagasaki: Even More Immoral and Unnecessary than Hiroshima

As you wish. No ones mind here is changed....that much is crystal clear

I defended our country too once....and it wasnt in a forum.
I try to be civil as long as others are, and you have been civil also

As for the revisionist historians who infest the halls of academia I have nothing but disrespect for them

because being professionals they are in the best position to get it right and they dont

I try to be civil as long as others are, and you have been civil also

As for the revisionist historians who infest the halls of academia I have nothing but disrespect for them

because being professionals they are in the best position to get it right and they dont
I dont think people like halsey, MacArthur, nimitz, lemay, Leahy and others are revisionist historians

"...Although in later decades there was considerable debate about whether the bombings were ethically justified, virtually all of America’s political and military leadership, as well as most of those involved in the atomic bomb project, believed at the time that Truman’s decision was correct..."

The decision to use the atomic bomb

"...Truman faced almost no pressure whatever to reexamine his own inclinations..."

In a way they are

certainly they’re in the crowd of monday morning quarterbacks
I deeply admire what they did for thos country and the expertise it took to get the job done

So I cant dismiss their wealth of knowledge and experience that easily

The very day after the atomic bomb hit Hiroshima, the personal pilot of General Douglas MacArthur, commander of Allied forces in the Pacific, recorded in his diary that MacArthur was "appalled and depressed by this Frankenstein monster."
It was heavy burden to bear. Speaking of himself as president, Truman said, “And he alone, in all the world, must say Yes or No to that awesome, ultimate question, ‘Shall we drop the bomb on a living target?’”

Harry S Truman’s Decision to Use the Atomic Bomb (U.S. National Park Service)

As with many people, Truman was shocked by the enormous losses suffered at Okinawa. American intelligence reports indicated (correctly) that, although Japan could no longer meaningfully project its power overseas, it retained an army of two million soldiers and about 10,000 aircraft -- half of them kamikazes -- for the final defense of the homeland. (During postwar studies the United States learned that the Japanese had correctly anticipated where in Kyushu the initial landings would have taken place.) Although Truman hoped that the atomic bomb might give the United States an edge in postwar diplomacy, the prospect of avoiding another year of bloody warfare in the end may well have figured most importantly in his decision to drop the atomic bomb on Japan.

Manhattan Project: Potsdam and the Final Decision to Use the Bomb, July 1945

“He didn’t want to have to do it but he felt that he had to, to stop the war and to save both American and Japanese lives. The reports they were getting were that, in a land invasion of the Japanese main islands, the Japanese were building up forces to resist. Now we know that the Japanese knew where we planned to land and they were massing troops.”

'He felt he had to do it': Truman's grandson on bombing Hiroshima

Neither do I

but its easy to criticize the tough decisions of others that they did not have to make
It is their job to make tough life and death decisions in battle based on the best information available

If we cant trust them.....we can trust no one

It is their job to make tough life and death decisions in battle based on the best information available

If we cant trust them.....we can trust no one
"...Although in later decades there was considerable debate about whether the bombings were ethically justified, virtually all of America’s political and military leadership, as well as most of those involved in the atomic bomb project, believed at the time that Truman’s decision was correct..."

"...Truman faced almost no pressure whatever to reexamine his own inclinations..."

In July 1945 project administrators polled 150 of the 300 scientists working at the Chicago site and could find only 19 who rejected any military use of the bomb and another 39 who supported an experimental demonstration with representatives of Japan present, followed by an opportunity for surrender. Most of the scientists, however, supported some use of the bomb: 23 supported using it in a way that was militarily “most effective,” and 69 opted for a “military demonstration in Japan” with an opportunity for surrender “before full use of the weapons.” In later years, several key figures, including General Dwight D. Eisenhower, General Douglas MacArthur, Admiral William Leahy, and Assistant Secretary of War John J. McCloy, claimed to have opposed using the bomb, but there is no firm evidence of any substantial contemporary opposition.

I know. The guy who did got it wrong
Which is why it's surprising that they didn't resign beforehand.

aha.gif

The very day after the atomic bomb hit Hiroshima, the personal pilot of General Douglas MacArthur, commander of Allied forces in the Pacific, recorded in his diary that MacArthur was "appalled and depressed by this Frankenstein monster."

Most in the military hate the damned things. And we realize that in the modern era they are not military weapons at all, but political weapons.

Forum List

Back