The Old Man (Hulu)

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
This series stars Jeff Bridges and John Lithgow. Dan Chase (Bridges) is a retired CIA agent in hiding. Harold Harper (Lithgow) is a FBI agent brought out of retirement to track down Bridges.

I've watched Season 1, Season 2 is in progress.

Chase crossed a US asset Afghan warlord decades ago, and now this warlord is demanding Chase be delivered to him to make him pay for crossing the warlord.

This is a very good show, but with one bothersome flaw. Chase get involved in several fistfights with much younger agents and always wins. Bridges is 74 years old and a cancer survivor. The fight scenes really stretch credulity.

Also, Chase has two trained Rottweilers who are badasses. During one fight, Chase never summons these killer dogs to assist him even though they are right there.

The intrigue in this show is enough to keep you involved, though.

One other weird thing. When there are flashbacks, the Harper character has Lithgow's voice dubbed in. But Chase's younger character does not have Bridges' voice.

A small nit. Considering the amount of dialog the younger Chase has would make it a real pain in the ass to dub Bridges' voice in.

Lots of twists and turns in this show. It's fun.

This series stars Jeff Bridges and John Lithgow. Dan Chase (Bridges) is a retired CIA agent in hiding. Harold Harper (Lithgow) is a FBI agent brought out of retirement to track down Bridges.

I've watched Season 1, Season 2 is in progress.

Chase crossed a US asset Afghan warlord decades ago, and now this warlord is demanding Chase be delivered to him to make him pay for crossing the warlord.

This is a very good show, but with one bothersome flaw. Chase get involved in several fistfights with much younger agents and always wins. Bridges is 74 years old and a cancer survivor. The fight scenes really stretch credulity.

Also, Chase has two trained Rottweilers who are badasses. During one fight, Chase never summons these killer dogs to assist him even though they are right there.

The intrigue in this show is enough to keep you involved, though.

One other weird thing. When there are flashbacks, the Harper character has Lithgow's voice dubbed in. But Chase's younger character does not have Bridges' voice.

A small nit. Considering the amount of dialog the younger Chase has would make it a real pain in the ass to dub Bridges' voice in.

Lots of twists and turns in this show. It's fun.

Looks to be good, but there are so few original story lines on tv these days. Maybe it was always like that, but.

Yeah, there are very few shows where I watch to the end of all the seasons.

A lot of shows go one season too far and ruin the whole thing.
funny.

but as with books, there are few really good endings with tv series.

Most is formulaic. It's the safe bet for publishers and producers. These days I get so bored I'll watch til the end. When the docs get me all fixed up, I'll probably ditch tv again. Didn't have one for a long time.

We watched several episodes, and the reason why was mostly because Bridges was in it. But that couldn't carry the many plot mishaps and unrealistic outcomes.
You have to be willing to accept that a 74 year old man, still sick from cancer can have the physicality of a 25 year old, as long as he grimaces a lot while doing it .

Oh and while beating up trained fighters... he also attracts this woman...

qqqqqqq.jpg

We watched several episodes, and the reason why was mostly because Bridges was in it. But that couldn't carry the many plot mishaps and unrealistic outcomes.
You have to be willing to accept that a 74 year old man, still sick from cancer can have the physicality of a 25 year old, as long as he grimaces a lot while doing it .

Oh and while beating up trained fighters... he also attracts this woman...

View attachment 1015144
Yeah, she's a babe.

I also thought that relationship was unrealistic.

But at least they gave a woman over 30 a supporting role. That doesn't happen very often in Hollywood.

funny.

but as with books, there are few really good endings with tv series.

Most is formulaic. It's the safe bet for publishers and producers. These days I get so bored I'll watch til the end. When the docs get me all fixed up, I'll probably ditch tv again. Didn't have one for a long time.
I read a lot of books. I've probably read 10,000 or more in my lifetime.

Lately, I'm burning out on fiction. There are several lately I stopped reading about halfway through. Books that have huge positive ratings.

I'm reading Wool right now, and the going is very tedious. I'll be doing a review when I'm done.

I've been reading a lot of non-fiction. I just find them more interesting. Biographies of historical figures. A lot of economic books. Stuff like that.

And I never thought it would happen, but I'm tiring of all the streaming services. Like someone said, the storylines are getting repetitive, but more frequently the writing SUCKS. The competition between so many outlets is causing them to buy whatever shit comes their way.

When I saw Jeff Bridges repeatedly beating the shit out of men less than half his age, there is only so far you can go with the suspension of disbelief.

I watched part of one episode and all I got out of it was ....damn, Bridges and Lithgow got old.
Yeah, it sucks watching actors and rock stars I grew up with grow old and die.

I've been watching a lot of Jeff Bridges old movies lately.

Despite its flaws, the writing is pretty good.

Forum List

Back