🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

The reason the stock market is tanking is reaction to the 2018 election

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
Notice I am not blaming the Democrats (yet), but rather investors' reaction to electing a Democratic House for next year. The falling stock market reflects anticipation that soon-to-be divided Congress will create a paralyzed federal government doing little more than continuing endless investigations.

Ironically, the current Congress is contributing to this foreboding by being unable to pass simple budget bills to keep the government fully operating. While this may not be a bad thing in itself, it adds to a feeling that making America great again may be a vain hope.

Last edited:
I agree totally. The new Congress will not be business friendly. Why WOULDN'T the markets react by dropping?

Notice I am not blaming the Democrats (yet), but rather investors' reaction to electing a Democratic House for next year. The falling stock market reflects anticipation that soon-to-be divided Congress will create a paralyzed federal government doing little more than continuing endless investigations.

Ironically, the current Congress is contributing to this foreboding by being unable to pass simple budget bills to keep the government fully operating. While this may not be a bad thing in itself, it adds to a feeling that making America great again may be a vain hope.

The stock market had been stagnant since Jan and now you want to blame the election.

Damn that is funny

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

You brain dead righties are so fucking predictable. The next time I see the right take responsibility for their own actions will be a first.

I agree totally. The new Congress will not be business friendly. Why WOULDN'T the markets react by dropping?
Because the market has been on a downswing for a fucking year, just as Trump's policies started to be put into play.

No.

We started going to cash for our advisory clients long before the November elections.

This is about the trade war, global growth, the Fed, instability at the top, and the fact that the bull was already long in the tooth.

And Mnuchin's hilariously stupid comments over the weekend didn't help things today, either.

The conservative members of this board must be collectively on acid. That is of course if you can call these lunatics conservative. But I digress, Trump talks down the economy, engages in a trade war, has a government in constant chaos, has numerous investigations against him, and has shown himself to be emotionally unstable but it's the Democrats fault that the market is crashing. Trumplicans really are the quintessential losers.

Last edited:
Interesting fun fact...................

The Dow closed at 24,754 on 22 Dec 2017.

Today, a year later, it closes at 21,792.

That means over the past year, the Dow has dropped 2,962 points. That is almost 3,000.

And, if indications can be believed, it's gonna drop even further next year.

Are you guys tired of all this "winning" yet?

The OP had merit. Problem is Democrats spend and tax against our own interests. The primary cause might be interest rates. They go up the market goes down.

Regardless, the market has been inflated for some time, and interest rates too low. This is a correction.

The OP had merit. Problem is Democrats spend and tax against our own interests. The primary cause might be interest rates. They go up the market goes down.

Regardless, the market has been inflated for some time, and interest rates too low. This is a correction.

Really? The market has been inflated for some time and this is a correction? I thought Trump had a solid economy and stock market going, not some artificially inflated bubble.

Notice I am not blaming the Democrats (yet), but rather investors' reaction to electing a Democratic House for next year. The falling stock market reflects anticipation that soon-to-be divided Congress will create a paralyzed federal government doing little more than continuing endless investigations. Ironically, the current Congress is contributing to this foreboding by being unable to pass simple budget bills to keep the government fully operating. While this may not be a bad thing in itself, it adds to a feeling that making America great again may be a vain hope.
Divided government shouldn't have a negative effect on business. From what I've seen they LIKE the government to be paralyzed, assuming that will lead to fewer new regulations. It's a correction that occurs periodically, regardless of the political climate. Donny boy needs to put on his big boy panties and deal with it.

The conservative members of this board must be collectively on acid. That is of course if you can call these lunatics conservative. But I digress, Trump talks down the economy, engages in a trade war, has a government in constant chaos, has numerous investigations against him, and has shown himself to be emotionally unstable but it's the Democrats fault that the market is crashing. Trumplicans really are the quintessential losers.
We’re you this upset when the jobs left?

Notice I am not blaming the Democrats (yet), but rather investors' reaction to electing a Democratic House for next year. The falling stock market reflects anticipation that soon-to-be divided Congress will create a paralyzed federal government doing little more than continuing endless investigations. Ironically, the current Congress is contributing to this foreboding by being unable to pass simple budget bills to keep the government fully operating. While this may not be a bad thing in itself, it adds to a feeling that making America great again may be a vain hope.
Divided government shouldn't have a negative effect on business. From what I've seen they LIKE the government to be paralyzed, assuming that will lead to fewer new regulations. It's a correction that occurs periodically, regardless of the political climate. Donny boy needs to put on his big boy panties and deal with it.
There are a shitload of businesses that make their money off of government projects.

There are a shitload of businesses that make their money off of government projects.
If Trump turns those projects into fixing infrastructure instead of building a useless wall, I'll applaud him.

If market reacted to the election results, we would have seen it before now, since this has been known for 6 weeks.
Besides, its Trump himself who said the economy does better under democrats. But its really the economists who say so.
The market now is more likely reacting to Trumps tweet about the fed, and the shutdown, and perhaps the chaos in the executive branch.

The market drop started a month before the election. Back when all the tRumpkins were still crying "red wave!".

Forum List

Back