The Reprehensible Right: Huckabee calls for repeal of 17th Amendment

“Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (R) on Friday called for the repeal of the 17th Amendment and the return to senators selected by state legislatures after the Senate GOP's effort to repeal and replace ObamaCare died in a late-night vote.”

Huckabee calls for repeal of 17th Amendment after healthcare failure

Such advocacy of ‘repeal’ is made in bad faith, of course – motivated by rightist partisanism given the majority of the states are controlled by Republicans.

Needless to say, if a majority of the states were controlled by Democrats, we wouldn’t hear anything from the reprehensible right about ‘repealing’ the 17th Amendment.

The POINT of the Senate was to limit the potential for mob rule from the directly elected house of representatives.

Going to direct elections for the Senate was stupid.

I don't like Huckabee, and will never forgive him for his role in getting McCain the REpublican nomination, but he has a valid point here.

His point, and the hidden agenda at work here, is the on going attack on democracy by extreme conservatives who now occupy 5/9ths of the Supreme Court, The Congress and the Idiot-in-Chief.

YOur point would be taken more seriously if you could restrain yourself from your smearing of the President.

Instead, I will jsut dismiss your post as panic mongering.

MY point stands.

The POINT of the Senate was to limit the potential for mob rule from the directly elected house of representatives.

If you turn over Senate election to the legislatures, you take away the right of the people to choose their Senators,
because the voters in any given state only get to vote for one or two members of the state legislatures.

What does the Constitution have to say about it, Brown Shirt?

lol, the Constitution provides for direct election of Senators, dumbass.
Not the original Constitution.

“Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (R) on Friday called for the repeal of the 17th Amendment and the return to senators selected by state legislatures after the Senate GOP's effort to repeal and replace ObamaCare died in a late-night vote.”

Such advocacy of ‘repeal’ is made in bad faith, of course – motivated by rightist partisanism given the majority of the states are controlled by Republicans.

Needless to say, if a majority of the states were controlled by Democrats, we wouldn’t hear anything from the reprehensible right about ‘repealing’ the 17th Amendment.

I don't like Huckabee, and will never forgive him for his role in getting McCain the REpublican nomination, but he has a valid point here.

Every example of the People having the vote translates to 'mob rule' with the RW'ers.
How is it not mob rule?

Who and what is the mob? The American people with the right to vote? lol

You just revealed that you are completely ignorant on our system of government.

It might also be useful to restrict funding of campaigns for state and local offices to in-state sources only. Michael Bloomberg and George Soros, for example, have no business funding such candidates in states in which they do not live.

Would you include the Koch brothers in that?

For state elections? Of course. But then, they don't fund in state elections so it's a moot point.

They gave 8 million to Scott Walker for his recall campaign. I'm sure a little research would show lots of other state campaign funding by them.

So what? Everything seems reprehensible to the crazy angry left these days. Can't we talk about it before lefties go into another hissy fit? You almost gotta laugh that the Amendment has been in effect since 1914 but Rhode Island didn't ratify it for another 101 years. Joe Biden's home state of Delaware rejected it in 1913 and finally ratified it in 2010 and Alabama and Maryland didn't ratify it until the 21st century. Of course Hawaii and Alaska didn't get to vote on it and it's possible that Arizona and New Mexico (admitted into the Union in 1912) didn't vote on it either. It should be noted that women didn't have a say about anything related to the the Amendment not having the right to vote until 1920.

If you turn over Senate election to the legislatures, you take away the right of the people to choose their Senators,
because the voters in any given state only get to vote for one or two members of the state legislatures.

It puts a person between the mob and the action. The person is still directly elected so it is not like the King is appointing Members of Congress.

Every example of the People having the vote translates to 'mob rule' with the RW'ers.
How is it not mob rule?

Yes, exactly. In the 1920s these were the same people who strung up black people.

How is it not mob rule?

Yes. Under democracy, the dumbest 51% of the voters determine how our country is run.

Sometimes the dumbest 51% are so-called conservatives. I find states like Arkansas and West Virginia to be hypocrites. These states have large numbers of people receiving subsidies from Obamacare. If Republicans had succeeded in kicking large numbers of people off of Obamacare, these people would be complaining. about it and would probably blame Obama rather than Republicans.

So? Do the people get to choose members of the Supreme court? Do they choose the Attorney General?

How is it not mob rule?

Yes, exactly. In the 1920s these were the same people who strung up black people.

So how many Americans exactly should have the power to decide who runs the country?

Give us a ballpark figure.

Just one more ploy by the RWnuts to make our system less democratic.

We are not nuts, and making the system more democratic was the problem.

That was my point. Conservatives hate democratic government.
Yes, there's nothing especially divine about democracy. It's a terrible way to run anything. Just try to run a corporation by a majority vote of its workers and see what happens. The mob is often cruel, unjust, greedy, short sighted and vindictive.

Would you go to a surgeon with little experience, or choose one with lots of experience? Would you to a fertilizer salesman, or an attorney for legal advice?

Huckabee is neither a surgeon, a salesman, or an attorney. Well he might be an attorney, I don't know. But he has had experience governing a state and running for President.

And he failed at both.

That doesn't mean he doesn't have any good ideas.

You cited his failed stint as governor, and his failed run for the presidency as examples of his experience. Those failures don't show much evidence of any good ideas you think he might have.

My favorite Huckabee story is the time when he was governor that he demanded the words 'acts of God' be taken out of a legal document because he objected to 'God' being associated with bad things.

Oh, in case anyone doubts the above, here's the story:

Governor Won't Sign an 'Acts of God' Bill

It never gets less funny.

How is it not mob rule?

So how many Americans exactly should have the power to decide who runs the country?

Give us a ballpark figure.

I don't want anyone running my life. The point is to reduce the control of government to the maximum degree possible. Every means that can be devised to constrain the power of politicians should be implemented. The 17th Amendment was one of those means.

Would you go to a surgeon with little experience, or choose one with lots of experience? Would you to a fertilizer salesman, or an attorney for legal advice?

Huckabee is neither a surgeon, a salesman, or an attorney. Well he might be an attorney, I don't know. But he has had experience governing a state and running for President.

And he failed at both.

That doesn't mean he doesn't have any good ideas.

You cited his failed stint as governor, and his failed run for the presidency as examples of his experience. Those failures don't show much evidence of any good ideas you think he might have.

Hillary Clinton ran for for President too. I'm not hearing any good ideas out of her either. Come to think of it, I'm not hearing anything out of her. If she as good of a liberal as Huckabee is a conservative, you'd think she would be advising her party.

The election is over Hillary lost. Get new material.

Your argument is nonsensical. The Senate now is controlled by Republicans. Besides your argument just points out how unpopular the democrats really are, all the way to the local level. After 8 years of Obama BS the democrat party is in shambles, just as predicted by the left for the Republicans. Naturally what was predicted by the liberals the opposite occurred.

We love having a democratic republic with checks and balances.

Direct Election of senator removed one of those checks.

Are you capable of actually addressing what we are really talking about?

That was a rhetorical question. I know that you are not.

You know it too.

Yes, there's nothing especially divine about democracy. It's a terrible way to run anything. Just try to run a corporation by a majority vote of its workers and see what happens. The mob is often cruel, unjust, greedy, short sighted and vindictive.

Ok, so you've converted from anarchist to oligarch. I guess Trump and his idol Putin have won you over.

Your argument is nonsensical. The Senate now is controlled by Republicans. Besides your argument just points out how unpopular the democrats really are, all the way to the local level. After 8 years of Obama BS the democrat party is in shambles, just as predicted by the left for the Republicans. Naturally what was predicted by the liberals the opposite occurred.

lol, the day after 'Failure Friday' you assert that it's the Democrats who are in shambles? lol, good one.

Forum List

Back