The Reprehensible Right: Huckabee calls for repeal of 17th Amendment

“Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (R) on Friday called for the repeal of the 17th Amendment and the return to senators selected by state legislatures after the Senate GOP's effort to repeal and replace ObamaCare died in a late-night vote.”

Huckabee calls for repeal of 17th Amendment after healthcare failure

Such advocacy of ‘repeal’ is made in bad faith, of course – motivated by rightist partisanism given the majority of the states are controlled by Republicans.

Needless to say, if a majority of the states were controlled by Democrats, we wouldn’t hear anything from the reprehensible right about ‘repealing’ the 17th Amendment.
BTW, why does his opinion make the Right "Reprehensible Right?" Any more so then the liberals seeking to leave the union in CA?

Just one more ploy by the RWnuts to make our system less democratic.

We are not nuts, and making the system more democratic was the problem.

That was my point. Conservatives hate democratic government.
Yes, there's nothing especially divine about democracy. It's a terrible way to run anything. Just try to run a corporation by a majority vote of its workers and see what happens. The mob is often cruel, unjust, greedy, short sighted and vindictive.

Ok, so you've converted from anarchist to oligarch. I guess Trump and his idol Putin have won you over.
ROFL! According to you, if I don't want to be eaten by wild animals, then I should have no opinion about how the zoo is run.

“Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (R) on Friday called for the repeal of the 17th Amendment and the return to senators selected by state legislatures after the Senate GOP's effort to repeal and replace ObamaCare died in a late-night vote.”

Such advocacy of ‘repeal’ is made in bad faith, of course – motivated by rightist partisanism given the majority of the states are controlled by Republicans.

Needless to say, if a majority of the states were controlled by Democrats, we wouldn’t hear anything from the reprehensible right about ‘repealing’ the 17th Amendment.
Your argument is nonsensical. The Senate now is controlled by Republicans. Besides your argument just points out how unpopular the democrats really are, all the way to the local level. After 8 years of Obama BS the democrat party is in shambles, just as predicted by the left for the Republicans. Naturally what was predicted by the liberals the opposite occurred.

lol, the day after 'Failure Friday' you assert that it's the Democrats who are in shambles? lol, good one.
Ha, one bill that didn't have a snow balls chance of being repeal is failure? Really? You need not worry, Obamacare is not going anywhere entitlement programs never do. At least the Republicans are not complete lemmings like the democrats have shown. All of them sticking to a sinking ship, fun to watch.

It might also be useful to restrict funding of campaigns for state and local offices to in-state sources only. Michael Bloomberg and George Soros, for example, have no business funding such candidates in states in which they do not live.

Would you include the Koch brothers in that?

For state elections? Of course. But then, they don't fund in state elections so it's a moot point.

They gave 8 million to Scott Walker for his recall campaign. I'm sure a little research would show lots of other state campaign funding by them.
Recalls aren't covered by campaign spending laws.

Huckabee is neither a surgeon, a salesman, or an attorney. Well he might be an attorney, I don't know. But he has had experience governing a state and running for President.

And he failed at both.

That doesn't mean he doesn't have any good ideas.

You cited his failed stint as governor, and his failed run for the presidency as examples of his experience. Those failures don't show much evidence of any good ideas you think he might have.

Hillary Clinton ran for for President too. I'm not hearing any good ideas out of her either. Come to think of it, I'm not hearing anything out of her. If she as good of a liberal as Huckabee is a conservative, you'd think she would be advising her party.

The election is over Hillary lost. Get new material.

Thank you for finally admitting that.

It might also be useful to restrict funding of campaigns for state and local offices to in-state sources only. Michael Bloomberg and George Soros, for example, have no business funding such candidates in states in which they do not live.

Would you include the Koch brothers in that?

For state elections? Of course. But then, they don't fund in state elections so it's a moot point.

They gave 8 million to Scott Walker for his recall campaign. I'm sure a little research would show lots of other state campaign funding by them.
Recalls aren't covered by campaign spending laws.

We aren't discussing campaign spending laws. We are discussing out of state money.

[
Yep, that was the whole point of the Senate, to limit democracy (mob rule). Where the men who wrote the Constitution "extreme conservatives?"

Jefferson was. Hamilton was not and would fit right in with today's fascist democrats. That asshole actually wanted a king.
Um....if you knew history, you'd know that Jefferson was not there to write the Constitution....he was our Ambassador to France while that was going on.

If you turn over Senate election to the legislatures, you take away the right of the people to choose their Senators,
because the voters in any given state only get to vote for one or two members of the state legislatures.

What does the Constitution have to say about it, Brown Shirt?

lol, the Constitution provides for direct election of Senators, dumbass.

An AMENDMENT altered the Constitution, moron. The Constitution as written held that Senators were to be elected by the state legislatures as a check and balance against populism.

And he failed at both.

You cited his failed stint as governor, and his failed run for the presidency as examples of his experience. Those failures don't show much evidence of any good ideas you think he might have.

Hillary Clinton ran for for President too. I'm not hearing any good ideas out of her either. Come to think of it, I'm not hearing anything out of her. If she as good of a liberal as Huckabee is a conservative, you'd think she would be advising her party.

Finally? Democrats came to terms with that quite quickly. You RWNJs are the ones acting as if the election is still pending. That election is over. You need new material.

The POINT of the Senate was to limit the potential for mob rule from the directly elected house of representatives.

Going to direct elections for the Senate was stupid.

I don't like Huckabee, and will never forgive him for his role in getting McCain the REpublican nomination, but he has a valid point here.

Every example of the People having the vote translates to 'mob rule' with the RW'ers.
How is it not mob rule?

Who and what is the mob? The American people with the right to vote? lol
What they really meant to say that the mob is those who do not vote the way they want them to vote.

[
Yep, that was the whole point of the Senate, to limit democracy (mob rule). Where the men who wrote the Constitution "extreme conservatives?"

Jefferson was. Hamilton was not and would fit right in with today's fascist democrats. That asshole actually wanted a king.
Um....if you knew history, you'd know that Jefferson was not there to write the Constitution....he was our Ambassador to France while that was going on.

Um, what does that have to do with anything, Nazi Pete?

If you turn over Senate election to the legislatures, you take away the right of the people to choose their Senators,
because the voters in any given state only get to vote for one or two members of the state legislatures.

What does the Constitution have to say about it, Brown Shirt?

lol, the Constitution provides for direct election of Senators, dumbass.

An AMENDMENT altered the Constitution, moron. The Constitution as written held that Senators were to be elected by the state legislatures as a check and balance against populism.

Yes, and water is wet, and the sky is blue. Did you have a point?

Finally? Democrats came to terms with that quite quickly. You RWNJs are the ones acting as if the election is still pending. That election is over. You need new material.

If they did finally realize that Trump won, why are they still being obstructive and resistant? Why are the Democrats wasting all their time and money trying to unseat him, instead of working with him? You're not making any sense.

The POINT of the Senate was to limit the potential for mob rule from the directly elected house of representatives.

I don't like Huckabee, and will never forgive him for his role in getting McCain the REpublican nomination, but he has a valid point here.

Every example of the People having the vote translates to 'mob rule' with the RW'ers.
How is it not mob rule?

Yes, exactly. In the 1920s these were the same people who strung up black people.

So how many Americans exactly should have the power to decide who runs the country?

Give us a ballpark figure.
Less than one % have the money to buy the power,We are to busy kicking each to have any real power.

How is it not mob rule?

What they really meant to say that the mob is those who do not vote the way they want them to vote.
You mean like the people who vote to string you up to the nearest tree? Do you object to their vote?

Would you go to a surgeon with little experience, or choose one with lots of experience? Would you to a fertilizer salesman, or an attorney for legal advice?

Huckabee is neither a surgeon, a salesman, or an attorney. Well he might be an attorney, I don't know. But he has had experience governing a state and running for President.

And he failed at both.

My favorite Huckabee story is the time when he was governor that he demanded the words 'acts of God' be taken out of a legal document because he objected to 'God' being associated with bad things.
That almost beats his stint with Kim Davis.

How is it not mob rule?

You mean like the people who vote to string you up to the nearest tree? Do you object to their vote?
Oh...so this is now personal? Tell me where that kind of vote is happening.

Forum List

Back