There are certain things about which we can be certain. For example, we can be reasonably certain that our predictions made about the effects of force and gravity can be extremely accurate, even at vast astronomical distance.

What we can't be certain of, in fact what we do not actually understand is, how those forces actually work.

We live in a mulitdimensional universe, as many as 10 some theorize, but we are only capable of perceiving and experiencing three of those. Which means our ability to observe the universe is strictly curtailed. We can observe and accurately measure electromagnetic radiation, but we cannot perceive or measure what we refer to as "dark energy". We can only theorize its existence based on how it perturbs what we can perceive.

While it may seem paradoxical, the only thing we can truly know, is that we don't know everything.
I may be wise! Because I am absolutely certain that I donā€™t know what the answers to most of these mysteries might be.

I donā€™t even pretend to. I have scratched the surface of ā€œThe Cosmological Argumentā€ and even comprehended some of it. (I do recognize that itā€™s not one argument: itā€™s a complicated set of competing arguments.) And hereā€™s the thing. It still boils down to stuff we donā€™t really know.

Iā€™ll say it. Our pal ā€œdingā€ is pretty ducking smart and informed. I believe that you are, too. I think Bertrand Russell was too. I think Aquinas was, too. I know that people a hell of a lot smarter than I am have debated these matters and they donā€™t agree. So, I realize Iā€™m not going to solve any of it.

But, the chicken/egg question still doesnā€™t get resolved by mere declaration.

If the universe and everything in it came into existence out of absolutely nothing, then where the hell did all the stuff come from? If the stuff was already there, where did IT come from? If we say nothing led to something, then I guess were saying fuck the laws of science. (With a caveat about such laws not applying in the quantum realm of physics ā€” maybe). But if we say something led to something, then where did the initial something come from?

I may be wise! Because I am absolutely certain that I donā€™t know what the answers to most of these mysteries might be.

I donā€™t even pretend to. I have scratched the surface of ā€œThe Cosmological Argumentā€ and even comprehended some of it. (I do recognize that itā€™s not one argument: itā€™s a complicated set of competing arguments.) And hereā€™s the thing. It still boils down to stuff we donā€™t really know.

Iā€™ll say it. Our pal ā€œdingā€ is pretty ducking smart and informed. I believe that you are, too. I think Bertrand Russell was too. I think Aquinas was, too. I know that people a hell of a lot smarter than I am have debated these matters and they donā€™t agree. So, I realize Iā€™m not going to solve any of it.

But, the chicken/egg question still doesnā€™t get resolved by mere declaration.

If the universe and everything in it came into existence out of absolutely nothing, then where the hell did all the stuff come from? If the stuff was already there, where did IT come from? If we say nothing led to something, then I guess were saying fuck the laws of science. (With a caveat about such laws not applying in the quantum realm of physics ā€” maybe). But if we say something led to something, then where did the initial something come from?
Look over your shoulder!
Too late...

Look over your shoulder!
Too late...
I pride myself on ā€œgettingā€ lots of stuff said in that fashion. But now Iā€™m feeling all stupid again because, Iā€™m not tracking what you just said.

šŸ¤”šŸ˜ž

I pride myself on ā€œgettingā€ lots of stuff said in that fashion. But now Iā€™m feeling all stupid again because, Iā€™m not tracking what you just said.

šŸ¤”šŸ˜ž
The sarcasm failed?
The "answer" is always behind everyone's back until we look and it's still not there.
I love YouTube because all the physicists are admitting they know dip.

The sarcasm failed?
The "answer" is always behind everyone's back until we look and it's still not there.

Physics has kind of hit a stone wall lately. Super-string Theory, Quantum Chromodynamics, while interesting theories, ultimately can't be proved with our current level of technology.

While the Large Hadron Collider has discovered the elusive Higs-Boson Particle (and 58 other previously unknown particles) it still isn't any closer to understanding how these particles create our universe.

It's going to make it much more difficult to obtain the massive amounts of funding required to make any practical breakthroughs in modern physics.

The sarcasm failed?
Oh. I should have seen that. But Iā€™m sluggish lately. And I love it when the real bright guys (including theoretical physicists) acknowledge that they donā€™t know.

It is not ironic to recognize that wisdom comes form recognizing first the things we donā€™t know. Because then we can at least start looking for answers.

It doesn't really matter ... it simply established it's order in the chicken v egg debate.
In some ways it doesnā€™t matter. But the question still illuminates something. You say the egg came first. My immediate question is where did that egg come from? Someone else says ā€œthe egg came from a damn chicken!ā€ My immediate question then is, where the hell did the chicken come from?

Maybe the egg came from the first protochicken? Iā€™m still gonna ask where the first protochicken came from? Imma gonna go ahead and guess it came from an egg. And back we go.

We've already established that didn't happen. It's an undeniable fact that the egg came first.
I donā€™t see how thatā€™s ā€œestablished.ā€

I say a chicken laid that egg which you claim came first.

According to Torah, see creatures, created on day five, (many of which reproduce using amniotic eggs) came before land critters (day six), especially the domestic chicken.
Why does the Torah make specific mention of the ground bound animals if they were merely products of evolution?

I donā€™t see how thatā€™s ā€œestablished.ā€

I say a chicken laid that egg which you claim came first.

You'd be wrong. Even if you don't believe in natural evolution, which has firmly established that birds evolved from earlier egg-laying animals. You must believe in animal breeding, where the current domestic chicken must have been bred from a different bird, domesticated by man to become the chicken.

Either way, it's pretty clear that the egg came first.

Why does the Torah make specific mention of the ground bound animals if they were merely products of evolution?

They had to develop in some order... either a literal six-day order or the more protracted 4 Billion Year order.

It's pretty clear that sea creatures coming up on land to become us is a pretty significant landmark in either narrative.

They had to develop in some order... either a literal six-day order or the more protracted 4 Billion Year order.

It's pretty clear that sea creatures coming up on land to become us is a pretty significant landmark in either narrative.
How long was a day?
In fact, most people do not even know what the word "Yome" means.

In fact, most people do not even know what the word "Yome" means.

horshack3.jpg

Forum List

Back