The Shortage of Water in the Southwest

Desalination by nuclear is practical. That has nothing to do with the 'otherwise'.

It's obvious what you're trying to say, so go ahead.
Only to paranoid nutcases (like you). My question was meant as written: can desalination be accomplished on the scale necessary to provide water for entire states which, surprise, surprise, you failed to answer.

and the stupid part of this is Las Vegas and North Las Vegas are building houses everywhere....and yet i never see the news people question all this building....

When Lake Mead was built the population in the South West was 2.5 million now it is 25 million. Hey Joe let in more "dry backs".
Exactly. Between huge population growth & short sighted green policies restricting water storage, this was bound to happen sooner or later.
I mean, if you live in a desert & didn't realize water could be an issue don't expect me to have a lot of sympathy

I believe there is a huge aquifer under the desert in southeastern CA. Maybe they can tap it.

I don't oppose them at all, but you missed my point that having them at such large sizes is the dominant reason why we got that huge population growth in the first place without them population would have remained small since this is a HOT dry desert region, they park their cities in.

By now you must begin to realize that the Human Species doesn't think long term much on their impacts on the land just blindly support their growth with little to no considering the long-term impact on the region they impose.

Humans behave a lot like slow moving locusts sucking the region dry without thought to long range plans then be forced to move someplace else which is what we used to do thousands of years ago today we can't do that anymore.
Well, I agree that our politicians (and the general public) think that long range planning equates to the next two-year election cycle. I don't like overcrowding anywhere, especially when it exceeds the capacity of an area to support it.

But what to do about it? We can either restrict populations in these areas or build more infrastructure to support them. Are there any other alternatives?

P.S. Like it or not, money is the most efficient way to allocate scare resources.

I believe there is a huge aquifer under the desert in southeastern CA. Maybe they can tap it.

No, the levels have been DROPPING for decades and the Ogallala Aquifer is draining down a lot too since the recharge rate is well below the discharge rate.

Wikipedia covers this very well:

Ogallala Aquifer

In some area the water level has dropped 300 feet and the well pumping has become too difficult and expensive to continue in some areas too.

Well, I agree that our politicians (and the general public) think that long range planning equates to the next two-year election cycle. I don't like overcrowding anywhere, especially when it exceeds the capacity of an area to support it.

But what to do about it? We can either restrict populations in these areas or build more infrastructure to support them. Are there any other alternatives? (Like it or not, money is the best way to allocate scare resources.)

There isn't enough rain and snow available to build more large reservoirs for and what is tapped for Lake Meade inflow is controlled by law now as some water MUST flow downstream from the Reservoirs to keep rivers alive and flowing adequately.

What am I missing here?

Millions and millions of people have chosen to live in a vast desert, which even in the best of times could barely support the water needs of the population, and now that we have climate change - for the worse - it looks nearly hopeless. It's just a matter of a few years when many municipalities will have to conclude that they just can't sustain their population.

Then what happens? A vast migration north and east? Can seawater desalination be grown to an extent that it could be a solution? I doubt it.

Where do they go from here? Any thoughts (other than worthless recriminations)?

Botanical dome cities vacuum pressurized against the extreme external climate. Two birds killed with one Pauly Shore dream: live in a desert paradise, and run Martian colonization experiments simultaneously.

What am I missing here?

Millions will die in a heavily overpopulated world built upon the arrogance that we could just keep adding more and more using technology to solve every problem every time. But there simply is no solution to a world with 8 billion people but only a very finite supply of fresh water to go around.

What they should do is use trains to bring in potable water to these drought stricken area.
watertraincarskjffjlksdf.jpg

potablewatertraincardslkklsdfkslf.jpg

A more permanent solution would be to build a water pipeline from the great lakes to the southwest.

Only to paranoid nutcases (like you). My question was meant as written: can desalination be accomplished on the scale necessary to provide water for entire states which, surprise, surprise, you failed to answer.
Yes, of course it can and that could be the ultimate solution to the growing problem. I would discount any possibility of mass migration.

Is the idea too complicated for you to debate?

A more permanent solution would be to build a water pipeline from the great lakes to the southwest.

Your suggestion looks good on paper but ignores the long-term problem since it doesn't address it at all.

Population growth needs to slow waaaay down everywhere as we are going to reach 400 million in the country soon which is absurd.

When will population restraints ever going to become a factor otherwise this problem will get worse and worse.
You nailed it. The "population bomb" the Paul Erlich warned about exploded decades ago. Only a mass extinction will save us and the planet.

Some regions get too much rain. There must be a way to capture some of it and transport it to areas that need it. People who choose to live in arid regions shouldn't expect unlimited water supplies. Water is routinely trucked to NDN's living in such places, and they are happy as hell to get it.

Yes, of course it can and that could be the ultimate solution to the growing problem. I would discount any possibility of mass migration.

Is the idea too complicated for you to debate?
I AM open to debate - that's why I asked the question, dumb ass. As for your "answer" - given that the only plants operating now are next to the ocean and support only cities, what makes you think they can scale up to provide water for ENTIRE STATES or REGIONS which are NOT near the ocean.

I AM open to debate - that's why I asked the question, dumb ass. As for your "answer" - given that the only plants operating now are next to the ocean and support only cities, what makes you think they can scale up to provide water for ENTIRE STATES or REGIONS which are NOT near the ocean.
You've convinced me Ralph.
The reason why it was so easy for you is because I don't really give a fk.

Forum List

Back