Zone1 The Ten Words d'var (deh-VAHR) - d'varim (dehvahr-EEM)

crossbody

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2024
The "Ten Words" or "Ten Commandments" Words are powerful. The Hebrew word for word is d'var (deh-VAHR). The plural is d'varim (deh-vahr-EEM) D'varim can also mean "things."

Words have physical substance. That's another reason God told us not use profanity, not speak profane words, not use bad communication, but instead to use good communication. Concerning the Ten Words, when God entered into covenant with Abram, the word d'var is used for the first time in the Holy Scriptures.
Genesis 15:1 After these things the word of the Lord came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.

Yeshua (another word for God) is after all, "The Word" I give unto you this word, "Perspicacity" it means the quality of having ready insight into things, perceptiveness, discernment, keen intelligence, and spiritual acumen.

The time between the exodus from Egypt and the arrival of the Israelites at Mt. Sinai is fifty days. That means that the Torah was given on the Jewish feast day that occurs fifty days after Passover called Shavuot (Hebrew for weeks), seven weeks plus one day.

God said, count fifty days to the day after the seventh Sabbath; then you shall offer a new grain offering to the Lord - (Leviticus 23:16)

This counting is a practice still followed today by both traditional and Messianic Jews. It is called, “counting the omer.” The omer is an ancient biblical unit of dry measure for grains, a “sheaf.” It has symbolically taken on the meaning of counting the days, from the redemption until the giving of the Law, in anticipation of another moed (moh-EHD) which is an appointment with God.

Shavuot is also known as atzeret, (ah-TSEH-reht) which is the completion of Passover. Israel was not truly free until a formerly enslaved people received God’s instructions for living, by embracing His Torah.

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

God’s Word sets mankind free. Each day of counting the omer, many Jewish people read a portion of Psalm 119, and acrostic poem about the Word of God. They focus on His Word as they prepare to celebrate the, “Giving of His Torah at Mt. Sinai. The emphasis is on transforming words into concrete, personal changes.

Psalm 119 Open my eyes, that I may see wondrous things from Your law (v.18). I will run the course of Your commandments , for you shall enlarge my heart (v.32). This is my comfort in my affliction, for Your word has give me life (v.50).

Last edited:
The Ten Commandments were given to Israel-and the world-at Shavuot. They are also referred to as the “Ten Words” even though they include more than ten words. They are ten utterances that formed for centuries, the moral foundations of Western civilization including the United States of America.

The Ten Words are known in Greek as the “Decalogue” deka being the Greek word for “ten” and logos for “word.” In Hebrew, aseret ha d'varim (ah-SEH-reht ha-deh-vahr-EEM), literlly "Ten Words."

When the Lord finished giving his His words to Moses, he said, "...Write these words for according to the tenor of these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel." He was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights; he neither ate bread nor drank water. And He wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant, the Ten Commandments" (Ex. 34:27-28). Then Moses came down from the mountain with the two tablets of the testimony in his hand.

Last edited:
d-b-r is a root that leads to (among other applications) a word meaning "utterances" (d'var) but not "words." milah is "word" milim is words.

Why 10 words?

The number ten in Scripture signifies the perfection of divine order, the completeness of order, the entire round of anything. Nothing is wanting. The number and order are perfect. Perhaps this is why over the centuries, the Ten Commandments have been called, "The Perfect Ten" There is the thought that we have ten fingers- five on each hand. Likewise, God used one finger to write the Perfect Ten:

Exodus 31:18
And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God.

Question:
What if our ten fingers are meant to help us remember what God gave us with His one powerful finger?

These Ten Words were the only part of God's revelation to Moses at Mt. Sinai given in the direct hearing of the people.

Exodus 20:22 And the Lord said unto Moses, Thus thou shalt say unto the children of Israel, Ye have seen that I have talked with you from heaven.

God address Israel in the second person as if He were speaking to only one individual. Such usage teaches every Jew to feel: "That the Ten Commandments and the entire Torah were addressed directly to me..." Israel was to obey God's commands on the basis of their having been rescued from Egypt, something which no other nation can claim.

Peep this: Israel's salvation and relationship to God were established by God first, before He gave them directions to live by. Biblical morality was never intended to be a pathway to God, but rather a response of God's people to His love and faithfulness.

After these things the word of the Lord came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.

funny how there is never an eye witness to any of their encounters w/ the supernatural the so called chosen prophets who happen to spoon feed their enchanted congregations and vice versa.

than for them to fend for themselves without needing their - spiritual leaders or the equally phony 10,000 pg documents.

d-b-r is a root that leads to (among other applications) a word meaning "utterances" (d'var) but not "words." milah is "word" milim is words.

A d'var Torah (Hebrew: דבר תורה, "word of Torah"​

A d’var Torah (a word of Torah) is a talk or essay based on the parashah (the weekly Torah portion) As most frequently encountered, a d’var Torah (a word of Torah) is a talk or essay based on the parashah (the weekly Torah portion).

What Is a Dvar Torah?​

Dvar Torah (n.) (plural: Divrei Torah): Literally “word(s) of Torah,” this refers to a (sometimes original) Torah thought that is shared with others.

funny how there is never an eye witness to any of their encounters w/ the supernatural the so called chosen prophets who happen to spoon feed their enchanted congregations and vice versa.

than for them to fend for themselves without needing their - spiritual leaders or the equally phony 10,000 pg documents.
You should remain an unbeliever. You should enter into hell and the lake of fire. You should continue in your unbelief. You should "STOP" looking daily for God to bow to you, and you should wallow in the rot of your lack of faith in spiritual things through Christ Jesus.

A d'var Torah (Hebrew: דבר תורה, "word of Torah"​

A d’var Torah (a word of Torah) is a talk or essay based on the parashah (the weekly Torah portion) As most frequently encountered, a d’var Torah (a word of Torah) is a talk or essay based on the parashah (the weekly Torah portion).

What Is a Dvar Torah?​

Dvar Torah (n.) (plural: Divrei Torah): Literally “word(s) of Torah,” this refers to a (sometimes original) Torah thought that is shared with others.
a dvar torah is a torah based idea. D'var is a complete statement, not a word. Even in English, the word "word" doesn't always refer to a single word or the countable concept of words ("I'd like to have a word with you" doesn't mean your boss is calling you over to say a single word).

You should remain an unbeliever. You should enter into hell and the lake of fire. You should continue in your unbelief. You should "STOP" looking daily for God to bow to you, and you should wallow in the rot of your lack of faith in spiritual things through Christ Jesus.

no, far better to live as far from the desert as possible, good luck for you though ... they seriously are in need of help.

a dvar torah is a torah based idea. D'var is a complete statement, not a word. Even in English, the word "word" doesn't always refer to a single word or the countable concept of words ("I'd like to have a word with you" doesn't mean your boss is calling you over to say a single word).
Devar means ‘speech, word, or commandment.’ The word devar is found 711 times in the Hebrew Scriptures. The devar or d’var of God is forever. The Ten Commandments are called the Ten D’varim. The fifth book of the Bible known as Deuteronomy is called D’varim in Hebrew for “These are the words Moshe spoke …” (Deuteronomy 1:1). The same d’varim became flesh and tabernacled among us as Yeshua (John 1:14).

Hebrew Word Pictures:
Word – d’var
ד Dalet – A Door means ‘pathway.’
ו Vav – A Nail means ‘binding.’
ר Resh – A Head means ‘highest authority.’
The Hebrew Word Picture for devar: pathway binds to the highest authority.

Last edited:
We always say the "Word" of God. We are speaking about the d'var of God. As the entire Bible is the Word or d'var of God. Though it be many words (plural) as for as it being a compilation of God's righteousness, truth, justice, and holiness it is all God's d'var "Word".

Last edited:
Devar means ‘speech, word, or commandment.’ The word devar is found 711 times in the Hebrew Scriptures. The devar or d’var of God is forever. The Ten Commandments are called the Ten D’varim. The fifth book of the Bible known as Deuteronomy is called D’varim in Hebrew for “These are the words Moshe spoke …” (Deuteronomy 1:1). The same d’varim became flesh and tabernacled among us as Yeshua (John 1:14).

Hebrew Word Pictures:
Word – d’var
ד Dalet – A Door means ‘pathway.’
ו Vav – A Nail means ‘binding.’
ר Resh – A Head means ‘highest authority.’
The Hebrew Word Picture for devar: pathway binds to the highest authority.
As I stated, d'var is an utterance, a concept, a complete thought. Various forms of the root appear about 2800 times in tanach. The particular formulation of d'var (with different prefixes and suffixes) over 1000 times in tanach. It refers to a concept that was said, not the individual words. (the mlh root appears 62 times in tanach and means "word").

Did you know that vav is cane or hook, not nail? Did you know that a door is not a path? Did you know that the concept of "picture word" is not part of understanding Hebrew?

Or maybe it means "the head used a cane at the door."

As I stated, d'var is an utterance, a concept, a complete thought. Various forms of the root appear about 2800 times in tanach. The particular formulation of d'var (with different prefixes and suffixes) over 1000 times in tanach. It refers to a concept that was said, not the individual words. (the mlh root appears 62 times in tanach and means "word").

Did you know that vav is cane or hook, not nail? Did you know that a door is not a path? Did you know that the concept of "picture word" is not part of understanding Hebrew?

Or maybe it means "the head used a cane at the door."
I'm going to put you on ignore. I just don't care to ever communicate with you again.

I'm going to put you on ignore. I just don't care to ever communicate with you again.
It must be difficult when you, cutting and posting stuff you don't understand, see posts from someone who actually knows the source material and language. Having your ignorance laid bare for all to see must make you uncomfortable. Good luck!

We shall continue learning abut the "Ten Words" - Ten Commandments.

To Be Kissed By God
The words given by God at Mt. Sinai were words of covenant and faithfulness, given by a God who had purchased a people (a wife) for Himself (Psalm 74:2). When God gave his Word to His people, it was as if He was face to face with them, panic el panic. He was, in fact, KISSING THEM; speaking intimately with them.

Matthew 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Deuteronomy 8:3 And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the Lord doth man live.

We are to live by the kisses of God's mouth--His Word spoken to us. Our Messiah promised us that this is not only possible, but necessary.

John 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

We shall continue learning abut the "Ten Words" - Ten Commandments.

To Be Kissed By God
The words given by God at Mt. Sinai were words of covenant and faithfulness, given by a God who had purchased a people (a wife) for Himself (Psalm 74:2). When God gave his Word to His people, it was as if He was face to face with them, panic el panic. He was, in fact, KISSING THEM; speaking intimately with them.

Matthew 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Deuteronomy 8:3 And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the Lord doth man live.

We are to live by the kisses of God's mouth--His Word spoken to us. Our Messiah promised us that this is not only possible, but necessary.

John 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
panic el panic? LOL!

The Perfect Ten

Left hand-each finger

1. You shall have no other gods before Me
2. You shall not worship idols
3. You shall ot take God's Name in vain
4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy
5. Honor your father and mother

Right hand-each finger

6. You shall not murder
7. You shall not commit adultery
8. You shall not steal
9. You shall not bear false witness
10. You shall not covet

The God of Israel revealed not only his character in the Perfect Ten, but also what things are against His character and His will.

Sin
God has defined sin as:

Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Sin must be defined for us to recognize we're trapped in a snare. God gave us a clear definition of sin in His Ten Commandments. Without this people can't recognize their pitiful condition or their need for a Savior. Where there is no moral law there is no law of decency to break. People would be free to operate and function without any restraints. There are dangerous consequences for rejecting God's righteous standards. Where there is no recognition of sin, there is no repentance and no forgiveness. People separated from God are without hope, and hopeless people become harmful people. Desperation breeds dangerous behavior.

Romans 7:7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

Sin is lawlessness. It is breaking God's Law. It is rejecting His Perfect Ten. It is what we are seeing in our society today.

Last edited:
Covenant

God has made a covenant with a people-the Jewish people. God saved them. He brought them. God promised them a land and a future. God is the "SUPREME GOD" He is the "CREATOR." The Bible is true account of God, His choosing of a people , and His interaction with mankind. He is the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. He is the "GREAT I AM" the Sovereign God, who loved the world so much that He sent His only Son here to die for everyone; that whosever "BELIEVES" and "CONFESS" Jesus Christ is Lord, shall have eternal life.

Exodus 20:2 I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. 3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Satan the Devil

God has an age-old enemy, the devil (or Satan) We are in the midst of an end-time battle: God vs. Satan. God vs. evil. Go'd truth vs. Satan's lies. For example, abortion is "murder" but the world, prey to Satan's lies, calls it "choice." Thus, Commandment #6 is violated thousands of times daily. God invented marriage, therefore he has the right to define what it is or is not. Human reasoning, man's opinion, has become an idol which is Commandment #2, and has redefined marriage for some. God chose a people for Himself who have been caught in the middle of the God/Satan battle.
You may ask; Why the Jews?
Because God chose them.
Because the Jews gave the world the Messiah.
Because the Jews still have a role to play in Jesus' second coming. Because God keeps His covenants.

Forum List

Back