The Thomas Jefferson conundrum

Washington did come down in favor of Hamilton, eventually, particularly since AH got TJ and JM to pass the Washington DC law that allowed GW, as the director of the district's public works, to create a national city to himself.

Washington did come down in favor of Hamilton, eventually, particularly since AH got TJ and JM to pass the Washington DC law that allowed GW, as the director of the district's public works, to create a national city to himself.
:lol:

cute, but drawing correlations is not providing proof or truth.

GW had a personal relationship with Hamilton and enormous respect for Hamilton's brilliance and more

[MENTION=30646]Ravi[/MENTION]: Not any more or less than people today who want all people to have homes,
but won't give their homes to charity because they are mortgaged to the banks as slaves were, and used as collateral as well.

Not any more or less than people today who yell about minimum wage and slavery,
yet continue to purchase electronics and other products made with Chinese slave labor.

Yes, Jefferson and other slave owners were criticized for these things
1. mortgaging slaves as property where they had to work off the debt because technically the banks owned them not the property owner
2. arguing that the Black Slaves were not educated or able to live independently in society and were better off kept and taken care of by the property owners (he did provide education to his slaves, but felt they were better off shipped back to Africa rather than
try to integrate them into American society)
3. in general, pushing the idea that property owners were fit to make decisions in govt, and people who were not educated or experienced in ownership were not equal

These problems still exist today.

So Jefferson is no more a hypocrite than others today who aren't doing enough to address these SAME equality issues. People do NOT equally own land and do NOT equally have representation in govt or protection in courts. The problem is made worse with corporations acting as collective entities without check but with greater resources and influence than an individual, while defending rights and freedoms as a private person.

The hypocrisy is the same. We still do not provide means for people to learn to manage their own property and govt, but keep them enslaved to those in power who aren't investing in solutions that would equalize and liberate others. They keep investing in power games to play politics back and forth which is merely enslaving taxpayers in greater debt!

I was reminded today that in the original draft of the DOI, the following words (penned by Jefferson), were included:

he has waged cruel war against human nature itself, violating it's most sacred rights of life and liberty in the persons of a distant people who never offended him, captivating and carrying them into slavery in another hemispere, or to incure miserable death in their transportation hither. this piratical warfare, the opprobium of infidel powers, is the warfare of the Christian king of Great Britain. [determined to keep open a market where MEN should be bought and sold,] he has prostituted his negative for suppressing every legislative attempt to prohibit or to restrain this execrable commerce [determining to keep open a market where MEN should be bought and sold]: and that this assemblage of horrors might want no fact of distinguished die, he is now exciting those very people to rise in arms among us, and to purchase that liberty of which he had deprived them, by murdering the people upon whom he also obtruded them: thus paying off former crimes committed against the liberties of one people, with crimes which he urges them to commit against the lives of another

Africans in America/Part 2/Rough draft of the Declaration

Was Jefferson just talking out of his ass as a way to stick a needle in King George's eye? Because Jefferson himself owned slaves, refused to free slaves, and did in fact use them as collateral for loans.

Is old Tommy the world's biggest hypocrite?

Last edited:
Sure I do. The same thing I would do now. Not keep slaves.

Of course you were not born owning slaves so you cant say what you would have done. It was illegal to free slaves in VA and especially illegal when you were in debt as Jefferson was. In the end no one earth did more to free people on earth than Jefferson except perhaps Reagan.

Of course you were not born owning slaves so you cant say what you would have done. It was illegal to free slaves in VA and especially illegal when you were in debt as Jefferson was. In the end no one earth did more to free people on earth than Jefferson except perhaps Reagan.

You seem delusional.

You seem delusional.

and, as a typical liberal you seem to lack the IQ to support what you say.

Forum List

Back