The worst films you ever saw.

Last night l watched The Mummy, with Tom Cruise.

What absolute dreck! Russell Crowe hamming it up. :rofl:

And then l read about the money spent on the production. :eek:

The actors must have sold their souls to the devil for that one.
I was flipping through cable the other night and I watched this show called "CNN" the other night, whatever that is. Has anyone ever heard of it?

They pretended to be a news show with no apparent purpose to the movie and it goes on for 24 hours a day.

The actors were horrible and acted stupid.

Well, not really.

What happened was that Universal looked at Marvel and said, "Hey, what do we own we can turn into a shared universe?"

And they came back with, "Well, we own the Monster Movies of the 1930's and 1940's."

So they made several attempts to launch a Monster Cinematic Universe.

The Wolfman in 2010
Dracula Untold in 2014
and finally the Mummy in 2017

And they failed because - wait for it- the monsters aren't heroes. They are either villains or they are tragic creatures, but they aren't heroes the audience can cheer for.

They fail to understand why Frankenstein, Dracula and the Mummy all faded as franchises back in the 1940's. (Not withstanding the UK Hammer films). Because in the modern world with the threats of terrorism and nuclear annihilation, some old dead guy isn't that scary.

Well, not really.

What happened was that Universal looked at Marvel and said, "Hey, what do we own we can turn into a shared universe?"

And they came back with, "Well, we own the Monster Movies of the 1930's and 1940's."

So they made several attempts to launch a Monster Cinematic Universe.

The Wolfman in 2010
Dracula Untold in 2014
and finally the Mummy in 2017

And they failed because - wait for it- the monsters aren't heroes. They are either villains or they are tragic creatures, but they aren't heroes the audience can cheer for.

They fail to understand why Frankenstein, Dracula and the Mummy all faded as franchises back in the 1940's. (Not withstanding the UK Hammer films). Because in the modern world with the threats of terrorism and nuclear annihilation, some old dead guy isn't that scary.

I enjoyed the Mummies before Tom Cruise.

He made a mistake with that one, trying to relaunch a franchise. Like with Jack Reacher. :rolleyes:

I will forgive your blasphemy ... but G-d might not.

"Forbidden Planet" is a classic ... the first movie with a fully synthesized soundtrack. Animation creature by Disney Studios. It was the inspiration for "Star Trek"

Actually, the creature animation was done by Fred Quimby of MGM's animation department.

Those same props and costumes were used on other movies as well ... 1958's "Queen of Outer Space" starring Zsa Zsa Gabor
Heck, it launched the career of Robbie the Robot

Robbie_Forbidden_Planet.jpg

I always wanted to see them do a parody of a "True Hollywood Story" kind of show about Robbie, where the other "stars" talking about him are other famous robots from Sci-Fi movies.

"Robbie had a three quart a day motor oil habit!"

Lost In Space came out before Star Trek, and lasted as many seasons, though both had 29 episodes in their first season, more than double the norm for today's series.

Buster Crabbe's movies had a lot more influence than FP did. Flash Gordon was a popular comic strip turned into a movie serial.

Barberella was pretty awful, probably as bad as FP was. She had a great ass, though. which was why it was popular, certainly not because of the acting.

Planet Of The Apes was so stupid and hokey I still can't believe they made so many sequels for that idiotic dumbassery.

Last edited:
I've seen much worse films than these but the two most acclaimed film that I have never liked (at least the two that I can think of right now) were Manchester By the Sea and American Beauty. Given what we now know about Spacey and how he rolls....it gets even worse. Same for Casey Affleck (sp?)
Manchester by the sea was a nightmare, but not nearly the train wreck compared to “Old” by M. Night Shyamalan.

Everything, Everywhere, All at Once

This years Oscar darling for Best Picture and major acting awards

I fell for the hype and found it unwatchable. At first I thought “Maybe I don’t get it” but then realized I did get it and it was just plain stupid

1678279128825.jpeg

Last edited:
The Mosquito Coast was the worst movie I ever watched all the way through. Harrison Ford was a nut case who moved his family from lovely Rome, GA to the jungles of South America. Thing were bad there. The they got worse and worse until the final scene where they were washed out to sea by a huge flood and we left to assume that every one drowned.

Yeah, I started watching the Mummy, and was amazed how bad it was!

Forum List

Back