Things we take for granted now that were only recently invented.

the other mike

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2019
Secret City under Denver Airport
Did you know that before just about 120 years ago, homes did not have refrigerators or air conditioning ? There was no radio or television. No cars or planes.

Just something to think about. A reminder to be thankful for everything we have, and also, by the way, very grateful to the brave soldiers who put their lives on the line for this freedom that we often take for granted.

So next time you're kicking back in the AC with a cold margarita watching Seinfeld reruns, just don't forget to count your blessings and realize our time here is short.

Gordon Gekko in Wall Street, 1987
1588050961313.png

Last edited:
While some of the major cities had some (asphalt) paved roads starting in 1872 hard surface paved roads didn't become important until after the introduction of affordable automobiles by Henry Ford in 1908. The major long distance ground transportation was by rail. Even cities with the few paved roads had electric trolleys and electric cars, the advent of the combustion engine car spelled the death knell for both. Eisenhower signed the Federal-Aid Highway Act in 1956 which started construction of our Interstate Highway system which along with affordable air travel pretty much spelled the doom of profitable passenger train service. Before that our "highways" were generally two lane roads that ran through all major cities and towns and most of the rural America still had gravel and hard packed dirt roads. In many places out west horse drawn transportation was still king. According to Census data, as late as 1900 Manhattan had 130,000 horses; Chicago – 74,000; Philadelphia – 51,000; and St.Louis – 32,000.
As early as 1921 the Feds were looking to help build a highway system and financially support States with the construction, the Great Depression changed the focus to smaller, local road systems.
The Miller Act of 1935 also helped jump start highway building projects within each state but it took Eisenhower to finally get it off the ground so to speak.......

Did you know that before just about 120 years ago, homes did not have refrigerators or air conditioning ? There was no radio or television. No cars or planes.
120 years ago?
  • As recent as just perhaps 80 years ago, some people were still keeping food fresh with just an ice box with a big block of ice in it. Before that, they relied on food being salted to preserve it.
  • A friend of mine had no electricity at all as a child in North Dakota.
  • My parents never had an air conditioner until probably the 1980s.
  • Radio only became fairly commonplace in homes between 80-90 years ago. Television more in the 1950s. My family never had color TV until well into the 1970s.
  • Cars didn't begin to even come onto the scene to begin to widely replace the horse until about 100 years ago.
  • The airplane came into the fore during WWi just over 100 years ago as crude, open cockpit planes with virtually no instruments or navigation. By WWII, they were better developed but had now reached the practical limits of propeller-driven engines. It wasn't until near the end of WWII that the jet engine became developed enough to begin to become practical to quickly replace the propeller.
Of course, I'm mostly speaking of times when these things were becoming fairly established, affordable, and widely known in the average American way of life.

120 years ago?
  • As recent as just perhaps 80 years ago, some people were still keeping food fresh with just an ice box with a big block of ice in it. Before that, they relied on food being salted to preserve it.
  • Radio only became fairly commonplace in homes between 80-90 years ago. Television more in the 1950s. My family never had color TV until well into the 1970s.
  • Cars didn't begin to even come onto the scene to begin to widely replace the horse until about 100 years ago.
  • The airplane came into the fore during WWi just over 100 years ago as crude, open cockpit planes with virtually no instruments or navigation. By WWII, they were better developed but had now reached the practical limits of propeller-driven engines. It wasn't until near the end of WWII that the jet engine became developed enough to begin to become practical to quickly replace the propeller.
Of course, I'm mostly speaking of times when these things were becoming fairly established, affordable, and widely known in the average American way of life.
TV was invented in the 1920's. But the Depression shelved the implementation of that technology until after WW2.

120 years ago?
"Is he arguin' with me ?"
1588083199472.png

Just something to think about. A reminder to be thankful for everything we have, and also, by the way, very grateful to the brave soldiers who put their lives on the line for this freedom that we often take for granted.

So next time you're kicking back in the AC with a cold margarita watching Seinfeld reruns, just don't forget to count your blessings and realize our time here is short.

Gordon Gekko in Wall Street, 1987
View attachment 329155
You hit the nail on the head.
2010 looks like The Flintstones compared to what we have today.

120 years ago?
TV was invented in the 1920's. But the Depression shelved the implementation of that technology until after WW2.
The op includes a timeline of events.

120 years ago?
120 years ago?
Yes but who do you really credit with it's invention? Baird who proved the basic founding principles of electronic image broadcast or Philo Farnsworth who actually developed a fully working and practical television system with contiguous clear picture and sound upon which the modern, national television system became based?

120 years ago?
"Is he arguin' with me ?"
View attachment 329239
Isn't that Denver Pyle?

One side fact to all the concrete it took to build that damn is that we are running out of places to dredge ocean sand to make more concrete.

Sahara railroad.
Sand is one thing we will never run out of.

Yesbut, who the fuck wants to go out into the Sahara desert collecting sand? Where are you going live, eat and sleep? Most sand for concrete comes from rivers. It's not just the sand but finding the right type of sand, especially for mission critical projects.

Amen. The Lord gets plenty of "Thank yous" out of me every day.....especially whenever I look at actor Bronson Pinchot. :) :) :)

God bless you and that beautiful precious gentleman always!!!

Holly

Forum List

Back