🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Think Carbon Dioxide is not a pollutant?

So the Permian-Triassic extinction event doesn't ring a bell?

So we are to believe, based on your complete lack of understanding of conditions that existed during the pre-Cambrian, that mankind's future rests on our ability to survive in a such a world? Really?

By all means tell us what was happening in the Pre-Cambrian. I am interested to hear what you have to say. Be specific.

The point is, dumbass, do you truly believe that life as it exists today on this planet, particularly human life, can exist under pre-Cambrian conditions? Because you appear to believe that were that to occur, it would be a walk in the park.

I believe I AM THE ONE who pointed out that there was no free oxygen in the atmosphere during the pre-Cambrian dumbshit, so the assumption would be no, don't you think? Are you so totally incapable of thought you can't get there?

Erm, the paleobiology and biodiversity research group page of the University of Bristol web site is a "conspiracy web site"? Some might think you've lost your mind. It is clear to me that you never had one to begin with.

YEs the site you linked to is a Conspiracy.

The Siberian Traps were the largest volcanic eruption in Earth history and they occurred right at the same time as the largest extinction event in Earth history.

Co-incidence?

That is how your link starts out. This has NEVER been proven. It is even rife with spelling errors, not sure how you can call it creditable to your cause. Although I do know that the church members will believe anything.

Seems to me that this was just an idea for a class to get a grade, most likely on-line and the coding and page design shows it very dated.

Oh-MY-GOD. Do you really want me to produce peer reviewed papers on what is widely considered to be the front-running geologic theory on the Permian-Triassic extinction event? Because, if that is what you need, I can produce a couple of dozen, at the least. Because this theory has been around for at least 15 years. I'm sorry that you didn't get the memo.

Yes, I do.

So the Permian-Triassic extinction event doesn't ring a bell?

So we are to believe, based on your complete lack of understanding of conditions that existed during the pre-Cambrian, that mankind's future rests on our ability to survive in a such a world? Really?

Why yes it does olfraud (seriously, you need to drop this sock puppet) and here are the best theories for the cause... You'll notice the TWO most likely causes center on COOLING. Not warmth. Show me any time in history when warmth killed. All you have is your computer generated science fiction to support your tall tales. The actual physical record shows that cold, and only cold is a killer.

"Speculated Causes of the Permian Extinction
Although the cause of the Permian mass extinction remains a debate, numerous theories have been formulated to explain the events of the extinction. One of the most current theories for the mass extinction of the Permian is an agent that has been also held responsible for the Ordovician and Devonian crises, glaciation on Gondwana. A similar glaciation event in the Permian would likely produce mass extinction in the same manner as previous, that is, by a global widespread cooling and/or worldwide lowering of sea level.

The Formation of Pangea

Another theory which explains the mass extinctions of the Permian is the reduction of shallow continental shelves due to the formation of the super-continent Pangea. Such a reduction in oceanic continental shelves would result in ecological competition for space, perhaps acting as an agent for extinction. However, although this is a viable theory, the formation of Pangea and the ensuing destruction of the continental shelves occurred in the early and middle Permian, and mass extinction did not occur until the late Permian.

Glaciation

A third possible mechanism for the Permian extinction is rapid warming and severe climatic fluctuations produced by concurrent glaciation events on the north and south poles. In temperate zones, there is evidence of significant cooling and drying in the sedimentological record, shown by thick sequences of dune sands and evaporites, while in the polar zones, glaciation was prominent. This caused severe climatic fluctuations around the globe, and is found by sediment record to be representative of when the Permian mass extinction occurred.

Volcanic Eruptions

The fourth and final suggestion that paleontologists have formulated credits the Permian mass extinction as a result of basaltic lava eruptions in Siberia. These volcanic eruptions were large and sent a quantity of sulphates into the atmosphere. Evidence in China supports that these volcanic eruptions may have been silica-rich, and thus explosive, a factor that would have produced large ash clouds around the world. The combination of sulphates in the atmosphere and the ejection of ash clouds may have lowered global climatic conditions. The age of the lava flows has also been dated to the interval in which the Permian mass extinction occurred."

Causes of the Permian Extinction

You chose an expose from the 1996 World's Fair? REALLY?

How about something more recent, something more professionally produced?

Age of the Emeishan flood magmatism and relations to Permian?Triassic boundary events

Abstract

The Permian–Triassic (P–T) mass extinction, the greatest biological mortality event in the Earth’s history, was probably caused by dramatic and global forcing mechanisms such as the Siberian flood volcanism. Here we present the first set of high-precision 40Ar/39Ar dating results of volcanic and intrusive rocks from the Emeishan Traps, South China, which define a main stage of the flood magmatism at ∼251–253 Ma and a subordinate precursory activity at ∼255 Ma. This time span is generally coeval with, or slightly older than, the age of the P–T boundary estimated by the ash beds in the Meishan stratotype section and the main eruption of the Siberian Traps. Our data reinforces the notion that the eruption of the Emeishan Traps, rather than eruption of the Siberian Traps, accounted for the formation of the P–T boundary ash beds in South China. The Emeishan flood magmatism, which occurred in the continental margin comprising thick marine limestone formations, moreover, may have triggered rapid release of large volumes of methane and carbon dioxide that could have been responsible for the global δ13C excursion and associated environmental crisis leading to the mass extinction at the P–T boundary.

It's far more accurate than the wiki BS you post. And it is used by the Canadian Parks System. So yes.

By all means tell us what was happening in the Pre-Cambrian. I am interested to hear what you have to say. Be specific.

HAHAHAHAHahaaaahaahahaaaa.... oh jeez, now THAT was

PWNED ! ! !

Wow, where exactly was anyone pwned. You have a very low standard I see. Thinking people require an exchange to have actually occurred. This is the challenge asswipe. The pwnage will come later and you won't like the result I can assure you.

Man you're dumb...

Why yes it does olfraud (seriously, you need to drop this sock puppet) and here are the best theories for the cause... You'll notice the TWO most likely causes center on COOLING. Not warmth. Show me any time in history when warmth killed. All you have is your computer generated science fiction to support your tall tales. The actual physical record shows that cold, and only cold is a killer.

A third possible mechanism for the Permian extinction is rapid warming and severe climatic fluctuations...

The fourth and final suggestion that paleontologists have formulated credits the Permian mass extinction as a result of basaltic lava eruptions in Siberia."

Oh, swell, walleyed, a virtual online 'museum' article written by god knows who, god knows how long ago. No references, no citations, no info.

Here's a report on the actual latest research, published last year in Science, that I find much more credible and in line with most of the other studies I've seen.

Extreme Global Warming May Have Caused Largest Extinction Ever
LiveScience
Charles Choi
October 18, 2012
(excerpts)
Feverishly hot ocean surface waters potentially reaching more than 104 degrees Fahrenheit (40 degrees Celsius) may have helped cause the greatest mass extinction in Earth's history, researchers say. "We may have found the hottest time the world has ever had," researcher Paul Wignall, a geologist at the University of Leeds in England, told LiveScience. The mass extinction at the end of the Permian Era about 250 million years ago was the greatest die-off in Earth's history. The cataclysm killed as much as 95 percent of the planet's species. One key factor behind this disaster was probably catastrophic volcanic activity in what is now Siberia that spewed out as much as 2.7 million square miles (7 million square kilometers) of lava, an area nearly as large as Australia. These eruptions might have released gases that damaged Earth's protective ozone layer. After the end-Permian mass extinction came a time "called the 'dead zone,'" Wignall said. "It's this 5-million-year period where there's no recovery, where there is a very low diversity of life." The dead zone apparently experienced a serious case of global warming, but the extremes this global warming reached were uncertain. To find out, scientists analyzed fossils dating from 253 million to 245 million years ago, shortly before and after the mass extinction.

"We've got a case of extreme global warming, the most extreme ever seen in the last 600 million years," Wignall said. "We think the main reason for the dead zone after the end-Permian is a very hot planet, particularly in equatorial parts of the world." The upper part of the ocean may have reached about 100 degrees F (38 degrees C), and sea-surface temperatures may have exceeded 104 degrees F (40 degrees C). For comparison, today's average annual sea-surface temperatures around the equator are 77 to 86 degrees F (25 to 30 degrees C). "Photosynthesis starts to shut down at about 35 degrees C [95 degrees F], and plants often start dying at temperatures above 40 degrees C [104 degrees F]," Wignall said. "This would explain why there's not much fossil record of plants at the end-Permian— for instance, there are no peat swamps forming, no coal-forming whatsoever. This was a huge, devastating extinction." Without plants to absorb carbon dioxide, more of this heat-trapping gas would stay in the atmosphere, driving up temperatures further. "There are other ways of taking carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere, but the planet lost a key way for millions of years," Wignall said. These lethally hot temperatures may explain why the regions at and near the equator were nearly uninhabited. Nearly all fish and marine reptiles were driven to higher latitudes, and those creatures that remained were often smaller, making it easier for them to shed any heat from their bodies. The scientists detailed their findings in the Oct. 19 issue of the journal Science.

"MAY HAVE" The most common language of the bunco artist. And you're too stupid or you're too heavily invested to see that.

Right. The most common language of deniers and creationists (who, not coincidentally, have a lot in common):

"It's only a theory".

Although the cause of the Permian mass extinction remains a debate, numerous theories have been formulated to explain the events of the extinction. One of the most current theories for the mass extinction of the Permian is an agent that has been also held responsible for the Ordovician and Devonian crises, glaciation on Gondwana. A similar glaciation event in the Permian would likely produce mass extinction in the same manner as previous, that is, by a global widespread cooling and/or worldwide lowering of sea level.

The Formation of Pangea

Another theory which explains the mass extinctions of the Permian is the reduction of shallow continental shelves due to the formation of the super-continent Pangea. Such a reduction in oceanic continental shelves would result in ecological competition for space, perhaps acting as an agent for extinction. However, although this is a viable theory, the formation of Pangea and the ensuing destruction of the continental shelves occurred in the early and middle Permian, and mass extinction did not occur until the late Permian.

Glaciation

A third possible mechanism for the Permian extinction is rapid warming and severe climatic fluctuations produced by concurrent glaciation events on the north and south poles. In temperate zones, there is evidence of significant cooling and drying in the sedimentological record, shown by thick sequences of dune sands and evaporites, while in the polar zones, glaciation was prominent. This caused severe climatic fluctuations around the globe, and is found by sediment record to be representative of when the Permian mass extinction occurred.

Volcanic Eruptions

The fourth and final suggestion that paleontologists have formulated credits the Permian mass extinction as a result of basaltic lava eruptions in Siberia. These volcanic eruptions were large and sent a quantity of sulphates into the atmosphere. Evidence in China supports that these volcanic eruptions may have been silica-rich, and thus explosive, a factor that would have produced large ash clouds around the world. The combination of sulphates in the atmosphere and the ejection of ash clouds may have lowered global climatic conditions. The age of the lava flows has also been dated to the interval in which the Permian mass extinction occurred."

Causes of the Permian Extinction

Age of the Emeishan flood magmatism and relations to Permian?Triassic boundary events

Abstract

The Permian–Triassic (P–T) mass extinction, the greatest biological mortality event in the Earth’s history, was probably caused by dramatic and global forcing mechanisms such as the Siberian flood volcanism. Here we present the first set of high-precision 40Ar/39Ar dating results of volcanic and intrusive rocks from the Emeishan Traps, South China, which define a main stage of the flood magmatism at ∼251–253 Ma and a subordinate precursory activity at ∼255 Ma. This time span is generally coeval with, or slightly older than, the age of the P–T boundary estimated by the ash beds in the Meishan stratotype section and the main eruption of the Siberian Traps. Our data reinforces the notion that the eruption of the Emeishan Traps, rather than eruption of the Siberian Traps, accounted for the formation of the P–T boundary ash beds in South China. The Emeishan flood magmatism, which occurred in the continental margin comprising thick marine limestone formations, moreover, may have triggered rapid release of large volumes of methane and carbon dioxide that could have been responsible for the global δ13C excursion and associated environmental crisis leading to the mass extinction at the P–T boundary.

It's far more accurate than the wiki BS you post. And it is used by the Canadian Parks System. So yes.

If you had half a brain, you would have noted that my link:

Was not from Wikipedia. So no, it is not.

PWNED ! ! !

Wow, where exactly was anyone pwned. You have a very low standard I see. Thinking people require an exchange to have actually occurred. This is the challenge asswipe. The pwnage will come later and you won't like the result I can assure you.

Man you're dumb...

Wow, you are so stupid you don't even know it. You have my sympathy. Oh wait...

No you don't.

Oh, swell, walleyed, a virtual online 'museum' article written by god knows who, god knows how long ago. No references, no citations, no info.

Here's a report on the actual latest research, published last year in Science, that I find much more credible and in line with most of the other studies I've seen.

LiveScience
Charles Choi
October 18, 2012
(excerpts)
Feverishly hot ocean surface waters potentially reaching more than 104 degrees Fahrenheit (40 degrees Celsius) may have helped cause the greatest mass extinction in Earth's history, researchers say. "We may have found the hottest time the world has ever had," researcher Paul Wignall, a geologist at the University of Leeds in England, told LiveScience. The mass extinction at the end of the Permian Era about 250 million years ago was the greatest die-off in Earth's history. The cataclysm killed as much as 95 percent of the planet's species. One key factor behind this disaster was probably catastrophic volcanic activity in what is now Siberia that spewed out as much as 2.7 million square miles (7 million square kilometers) of lava, an area nearly as large as Australia. These eruptions might have released gases that damaged Earth's protective ozone layer. After the end-Permian mass extinction came a time "called the 'dead zone,'" Wignall said. "It's this 5-million-year period where there's no recovery, where there is a very low diversity of life." The dead zone apparently experienced a serious case of global warming, but the extremes this global warming reached were uncertain. To find out, scientists analyzed fossils dating from 253 million to 245 million years ago, shortly before and after the mass extinction.

"We've got a case of extreme global warming, the most extreme ever seen in the last 600 million years," Wignall said. "We think the main reason for the dead zone after the end-Permian is a very hot planet, particularly in equatorial parts of the world." The upper part of the ocean may have reached about 100 degrees F (38 degrees C), and sea-surface temperatures may have exceeded 104 degrees F (40 degrees C). For comparison, today's average annual sea-surface temperatures around the equator are 77 to 86 degrees F (25 to 30 degrees C). "Photosynthesis starts to shut down at about 35 degrees C [95 degrees F], and plants often start dying at temperatures above 40 degrees C [104 degrees F]," Wignall said. "This would explain why there's not much fossil record of plants at the end-Permian— for instance, there are no peat swamps forming, no coal-forming whatsoever. This was a huge, devastating extinction." Without plants to absorb carbon dioxide, more of this heat-trapping gas would stay in the atmosphere, driving up temperatures further. "There are other ways of taking carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere, but the planet lost a key way for millions of years," Wignall said. These lethally hot temperatures may explain why the regions at and near the equator were nearly uninhabited. Nearly all fish and marine reptiles were driven to higher latitudes, and those creatures that remained were often smaller, making it easier for them to shed any heat from their bodies. The scientists detailed their findings in the Oct. 19 issue of the journal Science.

"MAY HAVE" The most common language of the bunco artist. And you're too stupid or you're too heavily invested to see that.

Right. The most common language of deniers and creationists (who, not coincidentally, have a lot in common):

"It's only a theory".

\

Of course your problem is nobody I know, who is a sceptic, is also a creationist. In fact it is your side that has the creationists in it or didn't you know that AGW is an accepted theory by the Catholic Church?

OOOOOPPS! All the religious nutters are believers in AGW!

Abstract

Yes, I have a brain and I can post overwhelming proof that your primary source is wiki so I would suggest you mind your manners olfraud.

PWNED ! ! !

Man you're dumb...

No you don't.

Really? Where oh where is the pwnage olfraud? I laid down a challenge, to date you have refused to engage in the contest. If there is pwnage, it is from me to you, because you're too chicken to duke it out.

A third possible mechanism for the Permian extinction is rapid warming and severe climatic fluctuations...

The fourth and final suggestion that paleontologists have formulated credits the Permian mass extinction as a result of basaltic lava eruptions in Siberia."

LiveScience
Charles Choi
October 18, 2012
(excerpts)

/park.org/Canada/Museum/extinction/permcause.html"]Causes of the Permian Extinction

Abstract

LOLOLOLOL.....thanks for once again definitively demonstrating what a befuddled, scientifically illiterate retard you are, walleyed. And soooo obsessed with fictional "sock puppets", a seemingly common paranoia among you denier cultists.

In the real world, this phrase "may have", that you are so quick to denigrate, is actually the language of science, which doesn't deal in absolute certainty but rather remains open to new data, if any comes along. Particularly when discussing hypotheses about an event that took place 250 million years ago.

Because they don't fit your little "warming is always a good thing" denier cult mythological structure, you reject both the research study that I cited and quoted, that was published just last year in Science, the academic journal of the American Association for the Advancement of Science which is considered to be one of the world's top scientific journals, and the published scientific study that orogenicman cited and quoted that appeared in another scientific journal, Earth and Planetary Science. Instead you assert that the "far more accurate" source of information about the Permian mass extinction is some undated, unsigned, un-referenced list of possible causes of that extinction event that is "used by the Canadian Park System", which you apparently imagine is the pre-eminent scientific authority on the planet. And, of course, you ignore the fact that even in the Canadian Parks System material that you cited, the list of possible causes for the Permian extinction includes "rapid warming and severe climatic fluctuations" and "basaltic lava eruptions in Siberia". ROTFLMAO. You are such an ideologically blinded and completely clueless little retard.

I see the AGW church just like the far left wants to rewrite history.

We would make head by leaps and bounds on the day the far left AGW church goers can admit they are wrong and mean it.

"It's only a theory".

\

Of course your problem is nobody I know, who is a sceptic, is also a creationist. In fact it is your side that has the creationists in it or didn't you know that AGW is an accepted theory by the Catholic Church?

OOOOOPPS! All the religious nutters are believers in AGW!

Somebody you know who is a denier IS a creationist. You favorite pal, in fact - Anthony Watt. Oh, and by the way, Catholics, by and large, are NOT creationists. You didn't know this? Huh. Probably because of your narrow minded evangelic upbringing.

Yes, I have a brain and I can post overwhelming proof that your primary source is wiki so I would suggest you mind your manners olfraud.

That I occasionally refer to Wikipedia is completely irrelevant to the fact that I didn't refer to it in this case. That you continue to ignore the link I actually posted while continuing to rant on about Wikipedia demonstrates that you don't, in fact, have a brain. Oh dear.

Man you're dumb...

No you don't.

Really? Where oh where is the pwnage olfraud? I laid down a challenge, to date you have refused to engage in the contest. If there is pwnage, it is from me to you, because you're too chicken to duke it out.

You so-called challenge is tantamount to demanding that I prove plate tectonics. You would have to have had your head buried in a large pile of shite for the last ten-twenty years to ignore the huge volume of information that is available on the subject. Considering your utter ignorance of most other science issues, particularly climate science, it doesn't surprise me. It explains the rather odiferous nature of your posts. Congratulations.

That I occasionally refer to Wikipedia is completely irrelevant to the fact that I didn't refer to it in this case. That you continue to ignore the link I actually posted while continuing to rant on about Wikipedia demonstrates that you don't, in fact, have a brain. Oh dear.

No you have tendency to post from unreliable science or not science at all, just papers that were written for school.

I see the AGW church just like the far left wants to rewrite history.

We would make head by leaps and bounds on the day the far left AGW church goers can admit they are wrong and mean it.

Referring to science as a church or a religion is definitive proof that you've already lost the argument. Congratulations. Have a drink:

Kool-aid-tea-which-are-you-drinking.png

No you have tendency to post from unreliable science or not science at all, just papers that were written for school.

If that were true, then you would have no problem refuting the link I posted or the journal Earth and Planetary Science. Even the link I posted to which you refer came from a reputable University. Just because it was written in a format a three year old like you can understand doesn't make it their fault, or mine, that you still don't understand.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back