This is why we need a living wage

I'll be fair. I don't know if he was lying intentionally, our was just confused.

In either case he was wrong.

I don't know about you, but if a quarter pound meal at McDonald's cost $14 I wouldn't be eating there.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

In all honesty, McDonalds food would have to change drastically for me to eat there at all. I really don't like the place.

I totally agree. Unfortunately my three year old son doesn't. I don't know what kids like about McDonald's, but I'm a push over for what he wants.

The picture was taken in New York. Which you should have known if you actually read the blog.

From the comments on that story:
I ate lunch at a McDonalds just outside of Copenhagen, Denmark recently. Had a quarter-pounder with cheese meal (they don’t call it quarter-pounder there of course) and the total with tax came to the equivalent of $14, roughly double what I would pay in the US.

Which makes sense given that the teenager wage quoted was roughly double the average here.

Wait, that means Kissmy was lying through his fucking teeth?

:eek:

I'm shocked... :eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle:

There is no such post by KissMy in this thread. You are the liar.

The Shocking Truth About What It Would Cost Us All If Walmart Paid A Living Wage

Watch the video.

$300,000,000 a year in food stamps just for walmart employees. Give them a living wage and we pay an extra 1.4% on their goods. One penny for every dollar spent at Walmart and those employees would not need to live on food stamps.

I started a thread on this no seeing you did. At the $13.63 rate proposed would still put most of them in the food stamp eligible category. Also this is an estimate by someone not in the STORE or who is CRUNCHING the numbers.

However, I do agree I don't think it would be the drastic cost increase most people say it would be!

The picture was taken in New York. Which you should have known if you actually read the blog.

Which makes sense given that the teenager wage quoted was roughly double the average here.

There is no such post by KissMy in this thread. You are the liar.

You are incorrect.

I'll be fair. I don't know if he was lying intentionally, our was just confused.

I don't know about you, but if a quarter pound meal at McDonald's cost $14 I wouldn't be eating there.

I don't eat there now.

I don't eat there now.

No wonder you feel comfortable demanding they pay their workers more. Your money isn't involved.

Our Albertson's store took out their self check out. We customers refused to use it.

Albertson's is not alone. Other chains have reduced the number of machines. They were costing too much in labor.

Yes, in labor. They had to station at least one clerk at each bank of machines to help customers make the damn things work properly. But the real cost was the staff to restock the items (former) customers abandoned in carts and walked away to competitors when the frustration became sufficiently high.

A modern car or cell phone has more controls than a self service cash register, yet people manage them just fine.

I prefer the grocery store self checkout for a few reasons.....
The primary one being that I typically have 12 or less items simply because I am a single person household. Were I to be buying an entire grocery cart full of stuff, I'd prefer an actual cashier.
I also once worked as a cashier (back in my college days), so I know how to process a grocery order, such as ring up the heavy items first so they are in the bottom of the bag and the light items end up in the top.
Speaking of bagging groceries, if I buy a steak, a wedge of cheese, a bag of grapes and underarm deodorant, that will all fit in one bag. However, laws dictate that a chemical such as deodorant should never be put in the same bag as food. A grocery store cashier will put this single bag order into two bags. The reality is, in the 10 minute drive from the store to my house, my food is not at risk of contamination from my sealed package of deodorant. Why use two bags when one will do. I'm not an environmentalist but I see no reason for the waste.
I don't like the grocery store charity Du Jour. That's where the cashier asks you if you want to make a donation to whatever the current charity drive is, be it breast cancer, heart disease, leukemia, or endangered species. I don't have a problem with charity drives, but the grocery store is not where I choose to conduct my charity simply because that grocery store decided it was a worthy cause.

Now then, as far as fast food goes I rarely go to places like that. On the few occasions that I do, I find it to be extremely annoying when a cashier asks me if I want fries with that or if I want to super-size my meal. If I wanted more food, I'd have ordered it to begin with, quit wasting my time with your up-selling. I'd much rather place my order at a kiosk than deal with a person-bot programmed to up-sell me.

I know that eventually, they will program the self service kiosks to ask the same questions about donating to a charity, or up-selling their fries, but they haven't done it yet.

At times when I do use an actually cashier at the grocery store, I have fun with them sometimes. Here where I live, the cashiers always ask, "Did you find everything you needed?" I'll go totally deadpan and say something stupid such as, "I really struggled to find the coffee filters. They are a paper product so I was scouring the aisles with paper towels, toilet paper and paper plates looking for them. I have no idea why you guys keep a paper product in the same aisle as coffee and tea. You should tell the managers to move them." Their reactions are varied, but the look on their faces always tell the same story, how could this guy be so damn dumb. I find pleasure in the small things.

Do you believe grocery stores got rid of half their customers when they added self-service kiosks? (The correct answer is no).
You seem to be very good at just blurting out random statements of mediocre opinion with no basis in experiential reality.

Not as good as you are with false comparisons, but if I interact with you enough, I am sure I will get the hang of it.

Cashiers in grocery stores do two functions--check you out and bag you. Those are more easily replaceable than someone getting your fries, your drinks, taking your lettuce off and putting more onions on your order. Restaurants tend not to do well if they become completely self-service because then they are called "vending machines".

Fast food (such as McDonalds) is a vending machine.
The comparison is valid, you just didn't like it, which is probably why you eliminated the previous conversation in your quote.

Actually they WERE called "Horn & Hardart".

Thanks for the tube. I know they are popular in Japan but we are not Japan (which I thank God for every day).

The problem with people making this "raise MW and you will be replaced with a kiosk" apparently never bothered to read that Panera isn't shedding a single job as they install these things. They are not there to replace workers but to speed up orders which their cashiers will do more toward helping, not less.

A company can improve productivity in more ways than one. Adding a one time expense of a $50,000 kiosk that will last for 5 years is cheaper than paying a $25,000 employee for five years. Nobody got fired (shedding a job), but a machine was hired, not a person.
Like I said, if Bob wants a job he's better off learning how to work the machine than asking you if you want a cookie for desert.

Cashiers at most places don't modify the orders. By the time the cashier touches it there isn't much more to do than hand you the tray. It isn't exactly rocket science, and it isn't a five star restaurant.

For all I know McDonald's could have already considered and discarded the idea of having automated kiosks. But if labor becomes expensive enough you can bet they are going to take another look at it.

They'll try to find cheaper cheese or raise prices first IMO. Most of these places are franchises and quite a few businessmen are hostile toward technology, especially expensive technology that will require expensive tech geeks to maintain.

Even places like Sheetz have touchpad ordering, but you still have to go stand in line and pay the cashier and then come back and get your food.

See bold blue above.
That is one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever heard.
I work in IT for a Fortune 100 retailer. The "businessmen" are all about using technology to make things faster, better, easier and smarter for both the customers and the employees. They aren't hostile, they are embracing the tech.

The comparison is valid, you just didn't like it, which is probably why you eliminated the previous conversation in your quote.

No they are not vending machines. They are restaurants.

I delete previous quotes as a matter of policy because if find it rather annoying when my quotes get wrapped up in other people's back and forth, so I try to be courteous to others that might feel the same way; and it further avoids people being mis-attributed quotes when someone does a bad cut-down on these quotes of quotes of quotes of quotes.

I delete previous quotes as a matter of policy because if find it rather annoying when my quotes get wrapped up in other people's back and forth, so I try to be courteous to others that might feel the same way; and it further avoids people being mis-attributed quotes when someone does a bad cut-down on these quotes of quotes of quotes of quotes.

Technically, they are restaurants. In practice, they are a vending machine.
I'd never ask a date to go to a restaurant with me, then take her to fast food such as a McDonalds. That would be like asking a date to the movies then whipping out my cellphone and streaming a movie on it. Technically, I still showed her a movie. But it is still just as lame as calling McDonalds a restaurant.
The bonus is, nobody was paid an "unfair" wage for my phone streaming movie. Unlike the person trying to sell me over priced popcorn at the movie theater.

I'd never ask a date to go to a restaurant with me, then take her to fast food such as a McDonalds. That would be like asking a date to the movies then whipping out my cellphone and streaming a movie on it. Technically, I still showed her a movie. But it is still just as lame as calling McDonalds a restaurant.
The bonus is, nobody was paid an "unfair" wage for my phone streaming movie. Unlike the person trying to sell me over priced popcorn at the movie theater.

If the wage at the movie theater is unfair, then the person should not take the job go start with. Is the person better off without the job? If so, don't take the job. In life, decisions are made at the margins much of the time.

Last edited:

If the wage at the movie theater her is unfair, then the person should not take the job go start with. Is the person better off without the job? If so, don't take the job. In life, decisions are made at the margins much of the time.

That's what MW laws mandate. We're not allowed to accept wages that aren't "fair". The difference is that they dictate what's a fair wage and what isn't, instead of letting us decide for ourselves.

Last edited:

Is your cellphone manufactured either in the US or by people making more than $7.25 an hour overseas?

1797498_669495663118201_1852387323030752554_n.jpg

This is happening in part because tax payers subsidize their workers & their business. This is why we have inflation. The data proves high wages have never caused inflation or job loss. It is a fiction preached by the shepherds to their flock of sheep. They parrot this lie instinctively while the data proves it is all lies.

Last edited:

This is happening in part because tax payers subsidize their workers & their business. This is why we have inflation. The data proves high wages have never caused inflation or job loss. It is a fiction preached by the shepherds to their flock of sheep. They parrot this lie instinctively while the data proves it is all lies.

You admitted yourself that both automating jobs away and shipping jobs overseas are primarily motivated by the cost of labor. That is high wages costing jobs. Yes or no?

What difference does this information make? Whether a CEO makes twice as much or two thousand times as much as I do has no relevance to whether or not my income is sufficient by my measure. Likewise, if we were to lower CEO pay, it would just increase stock dividends which would still end up more in the hands of the wealthy than in the pocket of the guy flipping the burgers.

Forum List

Back