This is why you can't have nice things.....Colorado resort communities want to impose a vacancy tax on unoccupied homes

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

The legislative agenda for the Colorado Association of Ski Towns includes a first-ever vacancy tax as well as a real estate transfer fee on all property sales to help fund affordable housing.

A consortium of mountain towns will push Colorado lawmakers this year to pass legislation that would enable local governments to ask voters to tax homes that sit empty for most of the year.

There are no communities in Colorado that tax empty homes, but the growing challenge of building affordable housing for workers in mountain communities where real estate prices are soaring and as many as 40% of homes are unoccupied by full-time residents is fueling creative thinking around new revenue sources.

"We are not asking the legislature to make it so. This just clears some potential land mines for communities who might want to do this," said Jonathan Godes, a councilman in Glenwood Springs and president of the Colorado Association of Ski Towns, or CAST, which is promoting the legislation for the coming session.

CAST is asking its 28 resort town members to support a bold legislative agenda this year. The group also is hoping for lawmakers to approve legislation that will enable local governments to approve fees on every real estate transaction.

(There are 12 Western Slopes communities that have real estate transfer taxes from 1% to 3% on all property transactions that were established before passage of the 1992 Taxpayer's Bill of Rights, or TABOR, which prevents new taxes without voters approval. Those communities Aspen, Avon, Breckenridge, Crested Butte, Frisco, Gypsum, Snowmass Village, Telluride, Vail and Winter Park are collecting record revenues in recent years as home prices soar.)

CAST also plans to lobby for legislation that would smooth the process for asking voters to allow taxes on short-term rentals. In recent years, voters in at least 10 mountain towns have overwhelmingly approved taxes on vacation rentals.

CO must all be Motorhead fans.

I always wonder about tourism economy towns that seem to hate tourism.

So if you have a home there I'm betting you already have the exact same tax burden regardless of how much time you spend in the residence.

I’ll also bet that if you are a part time resident you utilize far less government services (schools for example) than those there full time. If anything, the part timers are already paying more than their fair share already.

The legislative agenda for the Colorado Association of Ski Towns includes a first-ever vacancy tax as well as a real estate transfer fee on all property sales to help fund affordable housing.

A consortium of mountain towns will push Colorado lawmakers this year to pass legislation that would enable local governments to ask voters to tax homes that sit empty for most of the year.

There are no communities in Colorado that tax empty homes, but the growing challenge of building affordable housing for workers in mountain communities where real estate prices are soaring and as many as 40% of homes are unoccupied by full-time residents is fueling creative thinking around new revenue sources.

"We are not asking the legislature to make it so. This just clears some potential land mines for communities who might want to do this," said Jonathan Godes, a councilman in Glenwood Springs and president of the Colorado Association of Ski Towns, or CAST, which is promoting the legislation for the coming session.

CAST is asking its 28 resort town members to support a bold legislative agenda this year. The group also is hoping for lawmakers to approve legislation that will enable local governments to approve fees on every real estate transaction.

(There are 12 Western Slopes communities that have real estate transfer taxes from 1% to 3% on all property transactions that were established before passage of the 1992 Taxpayer's Bill of Rights, or TABOR, which prevents new taxes without voters approval. Those communities Aspen, Avon, Breckenridge, Crested Butte, Frisco, Gypsum, Snowmass Village, Telluride, Vail and Winter Park are collecting record revenues in recent years as home prices soar.)

CAST also plans to lobby for legislation that would smooth the process for asking voters to allow taxes on short-term rentals. In recent years, voters in at least 10 mountain towns have overwhelmingly approved taxes on vacation rentals.

So if you have a home there I'm betting you already have the exact same tax burden regardless of how much time you spend in the residence.

I’ll also bet that if you are a part time resident you utilize far less government services (schools for example) than those there full time. If anything, the part timers are already paying more than their fair share already.

When TRUMP gets in he should pass a democrat tax to fix the country.

They are THIEVES. Tax being used instead of a gun

What is their definition of "affordable housing?" Stacks of apartment buildings? Mobile homes? Subsidized housing?

All these people will do is either sell the houses, let a relative or friend stay in them during the off-season, or some other arrangement that would most likely be less expensive than the proposed tax. If it's a season tourist area, what workers need to have "affordable homes?"

What is their definition of "affordable housing?" Stacks of apartment buildings? Mobile homes? Subsidized housing?

All these people will do is either sell the houses, let a relative or friend stay in them during the off-season, or some other arrangement that would most likely be less expensive than the proposed tax. If it's a season tourist area, what workers need to have "affordable homes?"
I just came from Colorado...Seeing my brother. Camp grounds are everywhere now.

The NEW AMERICAN DREAM. A CAMPER.

I enjoy getting out in ours very much. My wife likes staying in something that is hers so it's a win/win.

"Affordable housing" is just a euphemism for what used to be known as "The Projects". Think about the Pruitt Igoe houses in St. Louis, or the Carter in the classic film New Jack City.

This is what the libs want to get the Middle Class into.

Think

"Affordable housing" is just a euphemism for what used to be known as "The Projects". Think about the Pruitt Igoe houses in St. Louis, or the Carter in the classic film New Jack City.

Think
The middle class are a threat to their power. So the middle class must be destroyed.

As we sit by and not take our country back.

Illegals will be their army

People spend tax money before it's ever realized and then get caught with their pants down when it doesn't materialize.

That's happened so many times over the years. The problem is that libs pretend not to understand that imposing taxes changes people's behavior.

Several decades ago, politicians in Ohio wanted to expand medical assistance for children, but they said it wouldn't cost the taxpayers a dime. They would just tax cigarettes to get the money. The problem was that people started not smoking as much to avoid the greedy government's Financial Assrapery with ciggie taxes. Financing a program with rapidly increasing costs by a tax base which is declining is a sure way to ensure a fiscal Atrocity.

Think
"Affordable housing" has been a buzz phrase since I landed in Steamboat in the late '80s....Funny thing was that the rents there were then comparable to the Denver 'burbs....Seriously no so today.

Anyway, there was also a lot of talk about a "sustainable economy"...As in year-round work for the locals, so they didn't really need to depend upon the resort traffic to keep body and soul together....Then came the C of C marketing-like-mad, and subsequent building of a shit ton of houses and condos, where the nice rich folx would spend their time when they visited.

Now their "sustainable economy" has become unsustainable, as the rustics scramble for the few scraps of available indoor floor space to live, at exorbitant prices.....Kind of tragic, and makes me glad I got out when I did.

"Affordable housing" has been a buzz phrase since I landed in Steamboat in the late '80s....Funny thing was that the rents there were then comparable to the Denver 'burbs....Seriously no so today.

Anyway, there was also a lot of talk about a "sustainable economy"...As in year-round work for the locals, so they didn't really need to depend upon the resort traffic to keep body and soul together....Then came the C of C marketing-like-mad, and subsequent building of a shit ton of houses and condos, where the nice rich folx would spend their time when they visited.

Now their "sustainable economy" has become unsustainable, as the rustics scramble for the few scraps of available indoor floor space to live, at exorbitant prices.....Kind of tragic, and makes me glad I got out when I did.
I lived out there a long while back. Before those fleeing Calu and New York shitholes came.

Now the escapees rule the damn place.

Like LOCUSTS,......DESTROY IT

I lived out there a long while back. Before those fleeing Calu and New York shitholes came.

Now the escapees rule the damn place.

Like LOCUSTS,......DESTROY IT
Actually the locals were worse....There was nothing that they didn't want to tax.

It was also when I learned that Chambers of Commerce, which you would expect to be overstuffed with shameless free marketer types, were as tax-and-spend and gubmint interventionist happy as any shitlib politician.

Not really new. When I was in Yuma the population of the town would double in the winter as the snowbirds in their RVs came down to live in slab cites. That was in 2000

It's to keep them from being used as short term rentals like air b&b.

I applaud the move.

Think
More government dependency is what Democrats want: housing, healthcare, basic income, vehicles, energy, and equitable outcomes.

Forum List

Back