Those of you with teenaged boys.....How do you afford to feed them?

Statistics indicate that most teenagers today are close to obese so the question is how do you get away with feeding a teenager less.

My mother loved it. She was Sicilian.

3 teenage boys is bliss for an Italian Mama.

Oh yes and could she cook. We loved it.
I grew up in a Sicilian home , cooking was some sort of genetic thing for them. Family din din was always a thing......

But gramps didn't like chicken, always passed on it.

seemed unreasonable , considering all the great cacciatora ......etc

it was finally reveled that gramps had to off & clean chickens as a lad

i guess back in those days every family member had some sort of responsibility for the family din din........~S~

I grew up in a Sicilian home , cooking was some sort of genetic thing for them. Family din din was always a thing......

But gramps didn't like chicken, always passed on it.

seemed unreasonable , considering all the great cacciatora ......etc

it was finally reveled that gramps had to off & clean chickens as a lad

i guess back in those days every family member had some sort of responsibility for the family din din........~S~

I grew up in a southern household. Dinner was a big thing for us too. It is like italian, except with cornbread and lard.

My 3 brothers & I were always so hungry at meal time we ate with 2 forks. 1 fork for eating, the other fork or knife assisting & ready to stab the hand of whoever tried to grab from your plate.

There were 5 of us kids growing up on the farm. We butchered lots of pigs, chickens, deer, fish, turkey, rabbits, cattle, etc. We had a huge garden of sweet corn, wheat, soybeans, potatoes, carrots, green beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, dill, squash, lettuce, cauliflower, turnip, okra, broccoli, cabbage, strawberries, etc. We foraged the woods for all kinds of berries & mushrooms.

Us kids worked putting food away for winter, canning, butchering, hunting, fishing, gathering berries, tilling, planting, weeding & picking from garden, gathering for mom & my sister to make the meals. I never knew of junk food, hot dogs, chips, soda, etc. until I was in school & went to a birthday party of a classmate. My parents were aghast when I came home and ask why do we have to eat stake, veggies, homemade bread, fruit yogurt, pie, etc. every day instead of tasty hotdogs, chips & soda.

Last edited:
Even when my boys were teenagers, we didn't buy soda. They could do that with their own money. We had juice, koolaid, water and milk. We started mixing a half gallon of powdered milk with a half gallon of whole milk to make the gallon of milk they would drink in a day.

That powdered milk trick works.

When I was a teen I ate like a horse, granted it was a lot of game/fish we killed/caught but nothing was safe when I sat down at the table.....Except Brussels sprouts and turnips. ;)

It must cost a damn fortune to feed a teen male from a store.

We have the 18 year old son of our friends living with us for the past 3 months. That boy is ALWAYS in the kitchen and I can't believe how much he eats. Six eggs plus a pot of oatmeal for breakfast every morning, and two or three full plates of food for lunch and dinner. Then I hear him in the kitchen at 8-9 pm making a snack. It's crazy.

Forum List

Back