THREAD CLOSURES...

Canon Shooter

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2020
Just a thought:

Oftentimes a thread will get shut down because there's already a thread on the topic.

Would it be possible, when shutting down a thread, to provide a link to the thread that's remaining open?

Case in point: I've read two threads which discuss the new Victoria's Secret approach, but they were both locked. I've yet to find the one which is still open...

Just a thought:

Oftentimes a thread will get shut down because there's already a thread on the topic.

Would it be possible, when shutting down a thread, to provide a link to the thread that's remaining open?
There is a search function if you can't read the current threads.

Just a thought:

Case in point: I've read two threads which discuss the new Victoria's Secret approach, but they were both locked. I've yet to find the one which is still open...

I remmeber when they got merged.

Just a thought:

I guess the mods are just hoping that people here will learn how to use the tools here rather than depend on them.

Just a thought:

somebody upstairs has real sensitivities about the Vic secrets thing. I had a post closed also and I tried to pick a little used forum so that it would not be targeted. It was closed with a bit of a scold also..hmmmmm I wonder what the mod is wearing? LOL

Just a thought:

I guess the mods are just hoping that people here will learn how to use the tools here rather than depend on them.
Nope.....no way that's what it is. They never curtail the endless number of Trump sucks posts. I recall one day seeing no less than eight in a row on the same forum all nearly identical in their content. But two Biden sucks posts even if they are at opposite ends of the site will be hunted down and CLOSED.......

JO

Just a thought:

The threads with certain keywords are displayed when you're in the process of creating a new thread....The habitual violators of dupe threads ignore the threads listed that have the exact same topic, and post the new thread anyway....Not coincidentally, the people doing so are on the roster of the forum's biggest jackasses.

Just a thought:

Yeah .... merging them makes more sense than closing them. Since both options are available it is interesting that they choose the latter.

JO

Just a thought:

The threads with certain keywords are displayed when you're in the process of creating a new thread....The habitual violators of dupe threads ignore the threads listed that have the exact same topic, and post the new thread anyway....Not coincidentally, the people doing so are on the roster of the forum's biggest jackasses.
I noticed that feature and have used it quite a lot to tailor a thread that does not mimic the subject of another thread..... and often times I simply go to the thread that has that subject if they are too close.

JO

Just a thought:

If the mods didn't bother merging threads, the dominant ones will remain while duplicates fade away into history and nobody gives a shit.

Just a thought:

They never curtail the endless number of Trump sucks posts.

BALONEY. Happens all the time. When you create a new thread, if people would just do a proper keyword search, dup threads would be a rarity. The only exception is when two people create the same topic at almost the same time and simply miss each other.

Just a thought:

Agreed. That new feature that offers up "similar" topics as you create a thread is no doubt one of the key features aimed at by Xenforo and one of the few new features of the latest software I feel is a big success.

Another problem in this area is that some people's titles do not do a good job of describing the subject.

but, what does it matter - we're not solving any real problems that are being discussed. It is all a venture in trolling and attention.

Just a thought:

If the mods didn't bother merging threads, the dominant ones will remain while duplicates fade away into history and nobody gives a shit.

There often isn't a dominant thread, I see similar topics in parallel all the time that both go on. Before I create a thread, I do a keyword search and half the time find an existing thread close enough to insert my comments into. Too many people here just like creating threads just for the sake of creating them. Some people spend all day researching new topics then race here AFAP to start it. I guess they get some "jollies" from seeing themselves "published."

Just a thought:

yeah that doesnt even happen anymore

Just a thought:

dang good call

The problem is threads have a life of their own.

The thread TITLE may always remain, but the discussion will ALWAYS take a turn down a path that bears little resemblance to the thread topic.

EVERY THREAD goes thru this.

Sometimes a person will have something actually relevant to the discussion and it is often better to start another thread.

Forum List

Back