Threats, of War.

pbel

Gold Member
Feb 26, 2012
Obliviously, with the temperature rising to crescendo pitch in rhetoric action far not be far behind...Assad his back to the wall and it would make sense to him to goad Israel into attacking again and again. Why? Because, Nationalism is the great unifier in fighting foreign countries and attacks.

Yahoo! News Canada - Latest News & Headlines

By Dominic Evans

BEIRUT (Reuters) - Threats from Damascus and its Lebanese ally Hezbollah to turn the Golan Heights into a "resistance front" against Israel could end nearly four decades of calm across the increasingly tense ceasefire line separating Israeli and Syrian forces.

President Bashar al-Assad, and his father before him, kept the front line between Syria and the Israeli-occupied Golan quiet despite an official state of war between the two countries and Syria's support for militants in Lebanon and Gaza.

But following Israel's weekend air raids near Damascus, Assad was quoted as saying he would turn the Golan into a "resistance front" - suggesting he had given a green light to guerrilla groups to launch retaliatory attacks.

Assad's ally Hassan Nasrallah, head of the powerful Lebanese militia Hezbollah, followed with a promise to support his efforts "to liberate the Syrian Golan".

"When Assad said this, Israeli officials mocked," Israeli military affairs analyst wrote in Israel's Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper. "But when Assad and Nasrallah voice the exact same threat, it should be taken seriously".

Too bad Syria didn't accept the Golan Heights back for a peace treaty :

On June 19, 1967, the National Unity Government [of Israel] voted unanimously to return the Sinai to Egypt and the Golan Heights to Syria in return for peace agreements. The Golans would have to be demilitarized and special arrangement would be negotiated for the Straits of Tiran. The government also resolved to open negotiations with King Hussein of Jordan regarding the Eastern border.[151]

The Israeli decision was to be conveyed to the Arab nations by the United States. The US was informed of the decision, but not that it was to transmit it. There is no evidence of receipt from Egypt or Syria, and some historians claim that they may never have received the offer.[152]

In September, the Khartoum Arab Summit resolved that there would be "no peace, no recognition and no negotiation with Israel." However, as Avraham Sela notes, the Khartoum conference effectively marked a shift in the perception of the conflict by the Arab states away from one centered on the question of Israel's legitimacy toward one focusing on territories and boundaries and this was underpinned on November 22 when Egypt and Jordan accepted United Nations Security Council Resolution 242.[153]

Six-Day War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They should have followed the path of Jordan and Egypt.

Now they want it back ???? Too little, too late ;)

Oh thanks peeballs-----you confirmed my impression that OFFICIALLY ---
Israel and Syria are in a STATE OF WAR-----so that bombing of the weapons
convoy was entirely legal

BEIRUT (Reuters) - A militant Palestinian group in Damascus said it is forming combat units to try to recapture Israeli-occupied territory, in particular the Golan Heights, after Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and Hezbollah that they would support such operations.

The Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine-General Command (PFLP-GC) said it was preparing for new operations after nearly 40 years of quiet on the Israel-Syria border.

The group, designated terrorists by the United States and others in the West, was most active in the 1970s and 80s but retains influence with Palestinians in Syria and Lebanon.

"The leadership of the PFLP-GC announces that it will form brigades to work on liberating all violated (Israeli-occupied) territories, first and foremost the occupied Golan," it said in a statement late on Friday.

"The Popular Front's leaders have opened the door to all Syrian citizens to volunteer in the formation of the resistance."

How would they manage to do that? The Golan is a very open area. It would be like target practice for the IAF Pilots.
But that's besides the point , they don't have anywhere near the capability of capturing the Golan.

Seems like these comments are some sort of 'Islamic Publicity Stunt"

How would they manage to do that? The Golan is a very open area. It would be like target practice for the IAF Pilots.
But that's besides the point , they don't have anywhere near the capability of capturing the Golan.

I agree with your assessment, but I think it will be a guerilla type assault, besides, as with the last skirmish it will be mostly a "Rocket War."

I agree with your assessment, but I think it will be a guerilla type assault, besides, as with the last skirmish it will be mostly a "Rocket War."

Yes I imagine it would, but I just don't see how they could even be remotely successful. It's in Israels back yard,

Yes I imagine it would, but I just don't see how they could even be remotely successful. It's in Israels back yard,
Again, "Wars of Attrition," are not meant to be fiercely fought...they are meant to keep the superior military power on guard and spending resources and money to wear them out for years or centuries.

So, the lunatic fringe of the People's Democratic Ya Put Yer Left Foot In Islamic Grand Council Ya Put Yer Left Foot Out of Grand Poobahs of Palestinian Liberation Front Ya Do the Hokey-Pokey and Ya Sheik It All About is gonna make Jihad on Israel, is it?

Given that they couldn't find their own backsides with both hands in a well lit room surrounded by mirrors, I don't think that the Israelis will have too much trouble dealing with them.

Not too bright, these Hezbollah and Hamas types, but they're funny as hell, sometimes... :cuckoo:

Forum List

Back