Three-quarters of high school grads are failing

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
Just a quarter of this year's high school graduates who took the ACT tests have the reading, math, English and science skills they need to succeed in college or a career, according to data the testing company released Wednesday.

The numbers are even worse for black high school graduates: Only 5 percent are fully ready for life after high school.

The results, part of ACT's annual report, indicate thousands of students graduate from high schools without the knowledge necessary for the next steps in life. The data also show a downturn in overall student scores, although company officials attribute the slide to updated standards and more students taking the exams—including those with no intention of attending two- or four-year colleges.
News Headlines

A great many students who take the ACT do so because they don't think they can get a good score on the SAT, so the sample may be a bit skewed.

A great many students who take the ACT do so because they don't think they can get a good score on the SAT, so the sample may be a bit skewed.

Thats what I kind of thinking also when I reread the link, prolly just picking any number or letter.

Obviously the test is both flawed and racist.

Time to lower the standards so the education system can succeed.

They have. 70 and above used to be passing; 69 and below failing. Now? 65-69 is a D; 64 and below is failing.

Oh, and you get "do-overs" for whatever you don't understand. And you get to a "do-over" as many times as you want for the whole year until you 'get it'. You know, just like college and real life is like.

:cuckoo:

In our house 69 and below is failing. Period.

They have. 70 and above used to be passing; 69 and below failing. Now? 65-69 is a D; 64 and below is failing.

Oh, and you get "do-overs" for whatever you don't understand. And you get to a "do-over" as many times as you want for the whole year until you 'get it'. You know, just like college and real life is like.

That's why I never bothered to learn the game of golf.

Not enough "do-overs" allowed.

Just a quarter of this year's high school graduates who took the ACT tests have the reading, math, English and science skills they need to succeed in college or a career, according to data the testing company released Wednesday.

The numbers are even worse for black high school graduates: Only 5 percent are fully ready for life after high school.

The results, part of ACT's annual report, indicate thousands of students graduate from high schools without the knowledge necessary for the next steps in life. The data also show a downturn in overall student scores, although company officials attribute the slide to updated standards and more students taking the exams—including those with no intention of attending two- or four-year colleges.
News Headlines

I don't know about those percentages, but one thing I am certain of is that way too many kids are lacking when it comes to reading comprehension and writing skills. My son is joining the Marine Reserves, and the recruiter told us the same thing. So many kids cannot even score high enough on the pre-screening test, and most of it is because they do not understand the what is being asked. Their comprehension levels are abysmal. Now my kid is not a genius by any stretch of the imagination, but he had a respectable score, high enough that they were all over him getting him to sign on the dotted line.

I honestly believe one of the big problems with reading comprehension and writing skills is all the texting kids do these days. They don't know how to comprehend or write something that doesn't look like "Wat u doin? R U cumin over bfor or afta? C U soon.

Nope, sorry, when the going gets tough, the tough is obviously too hard and probably racist.

We must continue to lower the standards until everyone passes.

I don't know why they even bother to score the tests...all these labels, passers and failers.

It ruins self esteem.

They should all be winners just for taking the test.

Give everyone a participation ribbon and we'll call it good.

Last edited:

Nope, sorry, when the going gets tough, the tough is obviously too hard and probably racist.

We must continue to lower the standards until everyone passes.

I don't know why they even bother to score the tests...all these labels, passers and failers.

It ruins self esteem.

They should all be winners just for taking the test.

Give everyone a participation ribbon and we'll call it good.

Yup. And they teach them to "pass the test" in order to get funding ... to teach them to "pass the test".

I've had conversations with my youngest's teachers about her lousy grades (her fault :mad:) ... they don't even bother contacting the parents anymore until shortly before the end of the marking period when there is little time to do much about it. Since everything is online, they no longer make any attempts to contact the parents. When I've pointed out that 70 and above is still passing in our house they just say 'well, no that's not how it is'. I ask them why are they ok that the bar has been lowered? Usually some bs answer follows. Her algebra teacher two years ago (freshman year) was just out of college and the bs on the 'new' way they grade (do-overs, no 'grades', just greens and yellows and reds ...wtf??) was nauseating. It is shit.

The system is working as intended. It's an Eastern European Guaranteed Fail System run by real Communists.

Forum List

Back