Three ... two ... one ... Tillerson ... kaboom! Liberal heads explode ...

kaz

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2010
Kazmania
OMG, an achiever in government? It can't be allowed. Liberal lawyers have done such a great job getting us into this endless economic morass, we can't try anything else to get us out of it. Too risky ...

CNN is classic. Instead of saying he's worked with Russia, he has "ties" to Russia. The liberal bias in the media has no end. It's pathetic

The media? Those lying deceivers? Only lefty idiots will pay attention to whatever they have to say about all things Trump the next eight years, so just chalk it up to their ongoing circle jerk. It'll be entertaining and free.

give the Libs a little credit, their heads wont explode over Trump ... their used to his horseshit and Trumpbots eating it as fast as they can.

Trump picks Tillerson over Romney...
icon_wink.gif

Trump picks Exxon chief Rex Tillerson for secretary of state
Tue, 13 Dec 2016 - A top energy executive with strong ties to Russia is lined up as US secretary of state.
In a statement, Mr Trump praised Mr Tillerson, 64, as among the "most accomplished business leaders and international dealmakers" in the world. Mr Tillerson is said to have a good relationship with Russian President Vladimir Putin, alarming both Democrats and some Republicans. The nomination needs Senate approval. Days ago it emerged that US intelligence agencies believe Russia acted covertly to boost Donald Trump in the election race. The secretary of state is in effect the most senior US diplomat, responsible for enacting the government's foreign policy. Under a Trump presidency, his in-tray could include everything from handling rows with China to revisiting the nuclear accord with Iran.

Business as usual - Barbara Plett Usher, BBC News, Washington

Rex Tillerson fits the profile of Donald Trump's emerging cabinet, which includes many rich businesspeople. But the choice of an oil executive for secretary of state is the clearest sign yet that Mr Trump plans to approach foreign policy like a business, sending out his top diplomat to get the best deals for America. Whether that means Mr Tillerson will be prepared to open bedrock agreements to negotiation, as Mr Trump appears ready to do, is another question. He has been backed by stalwarts of the Republican foreign policy establishment who would see that kind of bargaining as dangerous to America's standing and alliances.

_92950216_mediaitem92950214.jpg

Rex Tillerson at an energy conference in 2015​

Neither is it clear what Rex Tillerson's close ties to Moscow might mean for Mr Trump's Russia policy. His contacts within the power structure, developed over two decades as Exxon's main man in Russia, could prove valuable in the State Department. But many lawmakers are already wary about the president-elect's calls for closer ties with the Kremlin, which they view as a global security threat. And Exxon's business interests there could lead to conflicts of interest for the new secretary of state, especially when it comes to his role in maintaining the Western sanctions regime imposed after Moscow's annexation of Crimea.

Mr Trump has also selected former Texas Governor Rick Perry as his Energy Secretary, US media reported. Mr Perry famously forgot the name of the energy department during a cringe-inducing gaffe at a 2011 Republican primary debate, when he said it was among the agencies he would eliminate if he was elected president. The 66-year-old has also been a vocal critic of Mr Trump, calling him a "barking carnival act" and a "cancer on conservatism" before he dropped out of his second bid for the White House in 2015.

'Restoring credibility'

See also:

Tillerson choice raises questions of corporate vs. national interest
December 12, 2016 | WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The central question facing Exxon Mobil Corp <XOM.N> Chief Executive Rex Tillerson if he becomes U.S. secretary of state is whether a lifelong oil man with close ties to Russia can pivot from advancing corporate interests to serving the national interest.
Tillerson, 64, got his start as a production engineer at Exxon in 1975 and has worked there ever since, running business units in Yemen, Thailand and Russia before being named chief executive in 2006. He was expected to retire next year. Senior senators, both Democrats and Republicans, have expressed concern over Tillerson, who emerged this weekend as Donald Trump's expected pick for secretary of state, according to a source familiar with the situation. By choosing him, the president-elect would add another - and presumably highly influential - person to his Cabinet and circle of advisers who may favor a soft line toward Moscow.

2016-12-12T175422Z_8_LYNXMPECBB00X_RTROPTP_2_USA-TRUMP-TILLERSON.JPG.cf.jpg

Among these is Trump's choice for national security adviser, Michael Flynn, who raised eyebrows when he sat beside Russian President Vladimir Putin at a Moscow banquet last year and who has argued that the United States and Russia should collaborate to end Syria's civil war and to defeat Islamic State militants. Tillerson's links with Russia came under fire from top lawmakers on Sunday. "It’s a matter of concern to me that he has such a close personal relationship with Vladimir Putin and obviously they’ve done enormous deals together. That would color his approach to Vladimir Putin and the Russian threat," Republican Senator John McCain told CBS.

McCain added that Tillerson would, nonetheless, get a fair confirmation hearing. Republican Senator Marco Rubio, a former Republican presidential rival to Trump, was even more forthright. "Being a "friend of Vladimir" is not an attribute I am hoping for from a #SecretaryOfState," Rubio said on his Twitter account.

'A STRAIGHT ARROW'?

Related:

McConnell on Trump's Nominees So Far: 'I'm Optimistic They'll All Be Confirmed'
December 12, 2016 – Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) said that he is “optimistic” that all of President-elect Donald Trump’s nominees will be confirmed by the Senate during a Monday morning press conference on Capitol Hill.
“I’ve been very impressed with the nominations so far, and we’ll have to wait and see who is nominated for secretary of State, and we’ll obviously treat whoever that is with respect,” McConnell said in response to a reporter’s question about whether he would have any concerns about possible conflicts of interest if Trump nominates ExxonMobil CEO Rex Tillerson as secretary of the State Department. “We’ll go through the regular process and respond to questions and we’ll see where it comes out,” the Senate majority leader said.

mcconnell2.png

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) speaks to reporters at a press conference on Capitol Hill​

When asked if Tillerson could be confirmed by the Senate, McConnell said: “Yeah. Let’s wait until we get nominees. I think of the nominees that we’re already aware of, I think, I’m optimistic that they’ll all be confirmed. But I don’t want to comment on a kind of phantom nominee today.” “I’ll comment on who’s been nominated so far," McConnell continued. "I think Mike Pompeo is an outstanding choice for CIA. I think General Mattis is an outstanding choice for Defense. I’m optimistic the president’s going to have a good national security team, all aspects of it, in place."

Other Trump nominees include:

* Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL) for attorney general;
* Betsy DeVos for secretary of Education;
* Retired Army General Mike Flynn for national security advisor;
* Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt for administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency;
* Dr. Ben Carson for secretary of Housing and Urban Development;
* Retired Marine Corps General John Kelly for secretary of Homeland Security;
* Former Goldman Sachs partner Steve Mnuchin for secretary of Treasury;
* Investor William Ross for secretary of Commerce; and
* Former World Wrestling Entertainment CEO Linda McMahon for head of the Small Business Administration.

McConnell on Trump's Nominees So Far: 'I'm Optimistic They'll All Be Confirmed'

OMG, an achiever in government? It can't be allowed. Liberal lawyers have done such a great job getting us into this endless economic morass, we can't try anything else to get us out of it. Too risky ...

CNN is classic. Instead of saying he's worked with Russia, he has "ties" to Russia. The liberal bias in the media has no end. It's pathetic

What? The two terms have different meanings and connotations. "Ties to" (noun 2a/b here) indicates a considerably less significant relationship than does "worked with" (Verb, tr, 7 here) For instance, I have ties to my former competitors. I attended lots of conferences and symposia where I and competitors talked amongst ourselves before and after our respective presentations,subsets of us met for lunch or dinner, or went out on the town together. We thus founded relationships, ties, with one another. From time to time I'd interview an employment candidate and sense that they'd be a better fit for a different firm, so I'd call my contact there and give them the person's name and number and suggest they give the person a call to see if they felt the same way. Only with two of them did I ever work.

It may be the CNN story makes clear Tillerson did in fact work with Russian companies or the Russian government (or an adjunct of/surrogate for it). I don't know; I'm not going looking for the story you saw. What you have shared, however, hardly shows "liberal bias."

Forum List

Back