Tightened Discipline

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
As part of our new principal's multi-year plan (he is a good, take-no-shit guy), this year we will be instituting stricter discipline in several ways. I am confident the students will adapt to it well over time, but when they first arrive next week, there will be some adjustments to make. Some kids will resist, some won't get it at first, but eventually it will be for the best. Nonetheless, next week should be interesting.

disciplune is good for school age boys. but prepare to meet some parents who will have their own ideas of what their little angels are up to all day.

As part of our new principal's multi-year plan (he is a good, take-no-shit guy), this year we will be instituting stricter discipline in several ways. I am confident the students will adapt to it well over time, but when they first arrive next week, there will be some adjustments to make. Some kids will resist, some won't get it at first, but eventually it will be for the best. Nonetheless, next week should be interesting.
More detail please?

I hope it works for your school and parents don't give you a lot of grief.

When I was growing up and when my kids were in school, teachers and principals were among the most respected members of the community. Any disrespect shown them by the kids at the very least merited a day or more in detention and, if serious enough, temporary suspension that was certain to bring retribution heaped on the kids by parents who supported the teachers and principals unconditionally. Yes, very occasionally there would be a bad apple on teaching staffs and those needed to be dealt with, but they were so rare it hardly ever needed to be done.

But then non injurious corporal punishment was legal and no student thought himself/herself immune. And there was plenty of patriotism via Pledge of Allegiance and singing of the National Anthem, a moment of silence to start the school day, student led prayers at assemblies and citizen prayers at sporting events. It all combined to give us a sense of community and comfort and that all was right with our worlds and as it should be.

Even though there were rifles and shotguns in gun racks in the parking lot, no school shootings. Pretty much any violence in the school just didn't happen. A minor scuffle on the playground was broken up by whatever teacher was monitoring that day and resulted in a trip to the principal's office and maybe a bit of detention but that also was rare.

And we all felt and were safe and secure in our schools and we got a world class education in a tiny dusty oil patch town of fewer than 10,000 people. And that kind of environment was also common on the college campuses we advanced to except for the corporal punishment part. :)

I wish all children/students could have that experience. I don't know if it can be made possible again now.

That's good. Too many, mostly 'woke' parents here give the teachers a lot of grief. They always assume their little 'darlings' didn't merit whatever reasonable remedial actions the teacher took. It's really unfortunate.

I teach a very different demographic. Most of my students' parents do not hesitate with the frying pan.

I'm curious, what type of disciplinary actions are being instituted?

Then the children you teach are blessed if they are disciplined by loving parents who go by the Biblical admonition paraphrased: 'spare the rod, spoil the child.'
Oh, the rod is not spared with the parents of most of my students. Immigrant (or 2nd/3rd generation) parents are usually pretty old school.

Forum List

Back