Time for a return of the Icebox?

Polishprince

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2016
Iceboxes don't require electricity, and will be immune to the increasing number of power outages ordinary Americans can expect with the further implementation of the New Green Deal.

Time to go to estate sales to look for these soon-to-come-back essential appliances. Maybe your grandmother still has one. Of course libs in the political elite and celebrity classes will still have a frigidaire.

Future green America will feature a lot of teams of horses (which also don't require electricity) hauling and peddling ice. This could be a good career for America's green future.

Yep, you can hang one of these in your window and the Iceman will know what size block to bring.

499aba581de607d7e77569ce01bcbf42.jpg

I haven't read the link yet.... But today there would not be enough ice in our lakes to cut, like they did in the old days for ice blocks.

And making ice blocks thru electricity defeats the energy saving purpose....no?

Iceboxes don't require electricity, and will be immune to the increasing number of power outages ordinary Americans can expect with the further implementation of the New Green Deal.

Time to go to estate sales to look for these soon-to-come-back essential appliances. Maybe your grandmother still has one. Of course libs in the political elite and celebrity classes will still have a frigidaire.

Future green America will feature a lot of teams of horses (which also don't require electricity) hauling and peddling ice. This could be a good career for America's green future.

/——/ Or you could just go to Walmart and buy a cooler that is better insulated. In fact, your electric refrigerator will do the same as an ice box if you unplug it and add ice to the top rack every few days. Of course the ice delivery truck burns gas… oh well.

How are you making ice without refrigeration? ... [giggle] ... our local ice plant was sited next to the small hydroelectric facility ... how many homes built since 1907 have ice-doors? ...

I just refurbished the ice-door on my house ... the place where the ice dealers put the ice once a day or so ... I noticed your link is from Canada ... why do you thnk people want ice in their houses up there? ... you'd think they want the opposite ... just put your stuff outside in a box and it will stay cold enough ...

I haven't read the link yet.... But today there would not be enough ice in our lakes to cut, like they did in the old days for ice blocks.

/——/ Dry ice anyone?

Hauling and peddaling ice? the ice came from frozen lakes. 10% of the ice that was harvested made it to the customer, the rest simply melted en route.
The most common way to transport ice across the USA was railroad.
Go ahead and haul ice across America with horses :abgg2q.jpg:

Do you know what they call an icebox today?

A cooler

How are you making ice without refrigeration? ... [giggle] ... our local ice plant was sited next to the small hydroelectric facility ... how many homes built since 1907 have ice-doors? ...

I just refurbished the ice-door on my house ... the place where the ice dealers put the ice once a day or so ... I noticed your link is from Canada ... why do you thnk people want ice in their houses up there? ... you'd think they want the opposite ... just put your stuff outside in a box and it will stay cold enough ...
they used to cut the ice from frozen lakes and transport it by train across America

A cooler is modern day Ice box...

Old days?......Like well before WW-1?

There have been industrial ice plants for better than a century. I worked at one as a kid "pulling" 300# blocks, then scoring them to cut out smaller blocks.

setting-up-ice-manufacturing-plant-250x250.jpg

they used to cut the ice from frozen lakes and transport it by train across America

A cooler is modern day Ice box...

Trains ??? ... how many trains were there before the 19th Century? ... LOL ... how many frozen lakes in Alabama? ...

History that deserves remembered:

Trains ??? ... how many trains were there before the 19th Century? ... LOL ... how many frozen lakes in Alabama? ...

History that deserves remembered:

:abgg2q.jpg:

In the 1800s, people began harvesting ice in huge blocks cut from lakes and ponds in New England then shipping it all over the world by barge or railroad. By the 1860s, access to ice transformed the way meat and produce were stored and transported in the United States.

Ice entered the American household shortly after ice became an industry. You’ve probably heard someone call a refrigerator an “ice box.” Before electric refrigeration was possible, that’s what people had: boxes in their home, often made of wood and lined with tin or zinc, with a block of ice to keep the items inside cold. The first modern electric household refrigerator wasn’t sold until 1927.

No more :hhello:

Last edited:
Whenever you were doing ice delivery, it was important to leave room for shrinkage, if the customer had a lot of steps.

4e56e8303997185fa8ea5f99dbc58053.jpg

/——/ Or you could just go to Walmart and buy a cooler that is better insulated. In fact, your electric refrigerator will do the same as an ice box if you unplug it and add ice to the top rack every few days. Of course the ice delivery truck burns gas… oh well.

My wife and I were stationed in Guam for about 6 years. Our Navy housing had a Typhoon Locker, basically a closet we were supposed to stock with needed supplies to last 2 weeks if a major typhoon came though. Canned goods, camp stove, water, batteries, flashlight, baby supplies, etc.

Part of our standard loadout was 8 empty 1-gallong milk jugs. Typhoons don't sneak up on you, so you had warning. Take the milk jugs fill them with water (leaving a little space for expansion), put them in the Freezer to make solid blocks of ice. (We had a chest freezer.) Take items that will go bad quickly and cook them immediately. Fill the containers with water for use for cleaning and the bath tub for flushing.

If power went out transfer 4 of them of the now solid ice blocks from the freezer to the refrigerator, leave the others in the freezer.

THEN DON'T OPEN THE DOORS. It's surprising how long you can keep perishables from going bad this way. It's important to not open the doors because cold air escapes replaced by warmer air decreasing the protection time. If it's a short term power outage you want to keep the doors closed.

WW

Old days?......Like well before WW-1?

There have been industrial ice plants for better than a century. I worked at one as a kid "pulling" 300# blocks, then scoring them to cut out smaller blocks.

setting-up-ice-manufacturing-plant-250x250.jpg
The purpose would be not using electricity, no?

Isn't that plant electric run?

:abgg2q.jpg:

In the 1800s, people began harvesting ice in huge blocks cut from lakes and ponds in New England then shipping it all over the world by barge or railroad. By the 1860s, access to ice transformed the way meat and produce were stored and transported in the United States.

Ice entered the American household shortly after ice became an industry. You’ve probably heard someone call a refrigerator an “ice box.” Before electric refrigeration was possible, that’s what people had: boxes in their home, often made of wood and lined with tin or zinc, with a block of ice to keep the items inside cold. The first modern electric household refrigerator wasn’t sold until 1927.

From your link:

"Back then, year-round ice was a luxury good for the wealthy. It was mostly used to make desserts and iced drinks." ...

If you'd have read my post, you'd know I refurbished the ice door on the back of my house ... so the ice merchant can just simply put the ice in the top of the ice box, from the outside of the building ... on the opposite side of the wood burning stove ... do you think the ice was just deposited on the door step and it was up to the customer to lug it into the house? ... [shakes head] ... that's not how you treat the wealthy back then ...

I can't speak to your location ... where I live we had a refrigeration plant down by the river, next to the hydroelectric power station ... in the 19th Century of course, the first European settler in Oregon was Jason Lee in 1843 ... AD ...

When the power goes out how do people get ice to replace the ice that melted?

Better advice.

Buy a propane generator and have a dedicated 500 gallon tank for it.

THEN DON'T OPEN THE DOORS. It's surprising how long you can keep perishables from going bad this way. It's important to not open the doors because cold air escapes replaced by warmer air decreasing the protection time. If it's a short term power outage you want to keep the doors closed.

We had the rule in our house that if a child opened the refrigerator door, they had to prepare a meal or snacks for the whole family ...

Cut our summer electric bill by 1/3 ...

My wife and I were stationed in Guam for about 6 years. Our Navy housing had a Typhoon Locker, basically a closet we were supposed to stock with needed supplies to last 2 weeks if a major typhoon came though. Canned goods, camp stove, water, batteries, flashlight, baby supplies, etc.

Part of our standard loadout was 8 empty 1-gallong milk jugs. Typhoons don't sneak up on you, so you had warning. Take the milk jugs fill them with water (leaving a little space for expansion), put them in the Freezer to make solid blocks of ice. (We had a chest freezer.) Take items that will go bad quickly and cook them immediately. Fill the containers with water for use for cleaning and the bath tub for flushing.

If power went out transfer 4 of them of the now solid ice blocks from the freezer to the refrigerator, leave the others in the freezer.

WW
I keep four frozen gallons of water in my small chest freezer and two in the freezer part of my refrigerator just in case. If the power goes out for any length of time I will transfer food to my chest freezer which should keep it fresh for several days.

how much electricity does it take to make the ice?........delivery miles to

what is the net savings

Forum List

Back