Time to waterproof the work gloves...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
I use mink oil.

IMG_20221115_163256046~2.jpg

Coat the gloves up good with oil paying special attention to the seams.

IMG_20221115_163413516.jpg

Run them over the heater or heat gun until all the mink oil is absorbed.

IMG_20221115_163440989.jpg

IMG_20221115_163538236.jpg

Re coat and re heat until you see small areas that are no longer absorbing the oil...allow to cool and test.

IMG_20221115_164643210.jpg

IMG_20221115_164652785.jpg

I use mink oil.
I tend to just use callouses. Gloves make my hands sweat. And the gloves are usually destroyed before lunchtime anyways.

But I do have a bunch of Mechanix gloves. Cases of them. And they all say Quaker State on the dorsal side of them. Back when I was the lead mechanic for a race car team, Quaker State would give me all kinds of stuff just for putting a little green sticker on the side of the car.

And I didn't even use Quaker State motor oil in the race car. I used Valvoline motor oil in that car.

Last edited:
Yeah ... I noticed that. :redface:

Mink oil is about all I use on leather. I have problems with mold though. The more oil, the more more mold grows on leather things. I tried treating leather items with Zep Clear Shell, which is a mold-inhibitor that's good for leather. But it always comes back. The only thing that works is storing things like old leather holsters in an air-tight box with one of the silica gel moisture-absorber containers I get at the dollar store.

I use mink oil.

View attachment 726409

View attachment 726410

View attachment 726411

View attachment 726412

Re coat and re heat until you see small areas that are no longer absorbing the oil...allow to cool and test.

View attachment 726413

View attachment 726414
I did that when I bought a pair of Red Wing boots about 30 years ago. They are still with me and I wear them year round. Mink oil is some impressive stuff.

I use mink oil.

View attachment 726409

View attachment 726410

View attachment 726411

View attachment 726412

View attachment 726413

View attachment 726414
I want a pair of those gloves,, where did you get them??

did you put the grommet hole in it??

Yes.

Thread 'Brilliant glove hack from Wranglerstar..' Brilliant glove hack from Wranglerstar..

its hard to find a good leather work glove, those look pretty good,, will get a pair this week,,

You won't regret it. That thread up there is from July and you can see they've been used quite a bit then.

I haven't bought any and this is the first hole.

Prior to finding these a pair would last about a month before the right glove would get a hole in it. Always the right glove. This time it's the left. First time that I can remember that a left glove got holed first.

Yes.

Thread 'Brilliant glove hack from Wranglerstar..' Brilliant glove hack from Wranglerstar..

You won't regret it. That thread up there is from July and you can see they've been used quite a bit then.

I haven't bought any and this is the first hole.

Prior to finding these a pair would last about a month before the right glove would get a hole in it. Always the right glove. This time it's the left. First time that I can remember that a left glove got holed first.
I always go through all the gloves and look for soft spots around the finger tips,,

I have even pulled pairs apart and matched gloves

Forum List

Back