Tiny Homes

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
With the lousy economy and bank loans so hard to get, it appears people are turning to these:

_74144832_tinyhouseconference.png

I've posted about this trend before so was not surprised to see the BBC piece on it. Read more @ BBC News - Americans construct tiny houses ? and new lives

MY parents and grandparents had large homes, I own a large home. When the last kid is gone, I'm getting a smaller home...

Google Tumbleweed Homes.

You can build one yourself if you have a flat trailer.

I could fit about a dozen of those in my shop. A man has to have a nice shop.

Ta hell with the house, I have a small house, but it's a lot bigger than that. But you just don't need a lot of space when you live alone, so you might as well save on taxes.

Exactly. I have noticed over the years that my personal space is less and less. It's pretty much a twin bed and my computer desk. I live in this 10x10 space, bathroom next door. Now, I am on the lower level of a split level townhouse, so my 'window' is a sliding patio door.

I remember back in the day on Grey's Anatomy, McDreamy was living in a travel trailer on the lake. His intent was to build a home and I thought "But why?" Or if he does, don't make it some monstrosity. I love cabins and cottages.

But I'm sure for those who want space to entertain, this wouldn't be an option.

I wish I had an acre or two of land. i would live in a tipi. Unless I could find a Tumbleweed home. At least I could move it around the land if I wanted to.

I, too, live in a nice size house but it isn't mine. I have to share it. So...I spend all my time in my room which has the master bath. Hubby is in the room across from mine and we put a door in the hallway so nobody can get to the back of the house where our two rooms are. I have a double bed that Karma uses and I nap on now and then because it is next to the window and when the sun shines in, I like to go "traveling" in my dreams. Otherwise, I sleep in my recliner on the other side of the room. And I have my pc desk, two end tables and tv stand. That's it. Hubbys room is smaller but he likes it. Our doors stay open...and we just shut the hallway door to keep everyone else out.

Hubby knocked a hole in the wall in my room and installed a door. That leads to the backyard..where I live during the summer. If I knew I could stay in this house until hubby and I kick off, I would build a mini house in the back yard, move in there, and rent out hubbys room cuz he would take my room. But...like I said..ain't my house. And the owner said he wants it back when I turn 62. That will be in October. So....not sure where we will go. Might wind up living in our cars.

Well, if anyone has a small cottage or shed guest house in the back forty and want to rent it to two old codgers with 2 dogs...let me know. :lol:

I'm a big fan of the "A" frame house...not mobile, but easy and cheap to build.

No3-AFrame-1b.jpg

That's how our little abode up here in the mountains started! Now, it's a tad bigger with the additions.

MY parents and grandparents had large homes, I own a large home. When the last kid is gone, I'm getting a smaller home...

Grew up in a 3 bedroom, 1 bath, 1100 sf house. Raised my kids in a 2 bedroom, 1.5 bath, 1000 sf house. Live in a 2 bedroom, 1 bath, 800 sf house. Probably could fit comfortably into 600 sf.

Tiny houses can be 100 Sq ft. Out here they have Micro apartments that are 300 Sq ft. You need off site storage to have a closet.

Sadly as cute as they are these are a treehugger novelty. They definitely have a use for a vacation cabin though.

Forum List

Back