🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

To Clear the Record; Ted Cruz Proposal on Reforming H1-B Visa PRogram

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
For me personally, I had lost at least one job to H1-B visa abuse, and at least several jobs I have applied for in the past. So I am inclined to simply scrap the whole damned program until the corporations are brought under control and their influence cropped to less than that of the Middle Class, way less than.

But for the record, here is Ted Cruzes last proposal on the H1-B program from last year. Yep that was in gearing up for his run for the presidency (he already announced by then) so how much it can be trusted is up to the individual, but Cruz is an ideological thinker and if he pushes something as a new bill I think he can be trusted because that is the kind of person he is.

Ted Cruz, Jeff Sessions Roll Out Antidote To Broken H-1B Program: American Jobs First Act - Breitbart

The bill, the American Jobs First Act of 2015, is essentially an antidote to the woes of the H-1B program. The bill, which represents a crackdown on immigration program abuses by special interests, has several components.

First, it requires companies that use H-1B workers to pay such visa holders “either what an American worker who did identical or similar work made two years prior to the recruiting effort, or $110,000,” whichever is higher. What that does is it takes the incentive to pay foreigners less than Americans away from corporations, thereby ending the ability for the program to be abused in that regard.

Second, the bill requires that within 730 days—two years—of “an employee strike, an employer lockout, layoffs, furloughs, or other types of involuntary employee terminations other than for-cause dismissals,” a company cannot bring aboard any H-1B labor. That means it wouldn’t be able to replace Americans with foreigners. The bill also has more transparency requirements throughout.

This would fix the H1-B visa abuse.

For me personally, I had lost at least one job to H1-B visa abuse, and at least several jobs I have applied for in the past. So I am inclined to simply scrap the whole damned program until the corporations are brought under control and their influence cropped to less than that of the Middle Class, way less than.

But for the record, here is Ted Cruzes last proposal on the H1-B program from last year. Yep that was in gearing up for his run for the presidency (he already announced by then) so how much it can be trusted is up to the individual, but Cruz is an ideological thinker and if he pushes something as a new bill I think he can be trusted because that is the kind of person he is.

Ted Cruz, Jeff Sessions Roll Out Antidote To Broken H-1B Program: American Jobs First Act - Breitbart

The bill, the American Jobs First Act of 2015, is essentially an antidote to the woes of the H-1B program. The bill, which represents a crackdown on immigration program abuses by special interests, has several components.

First, it requires companies that use H-1B workers to pay such visa holders “either what an American worker who did identical or similar work made two years prior to the recruiting effort, or $110,000,” whichever is higher. What that does is it takes the incentive to pay foreigners less than Americans away from corporations, thereby ending the ability for the program to be abused in that regard.

Second, the bill requires that within 730 days—two years—of “an employee strike, an employer lockout, layoffs, furloughs, or other types of involuntary employee terminations other than for-cause dismissals,” a company cannot bring aboard any H-1B labor. That means it wouldn’t be able to replace Americans with foreigners. The bill also has more transparency requirements throughout.

This would fix the H1-B visa abuse.
And if it didn't fix it outright, it would be an excellent first step.
The only reasons that companies use visa workers (agricultural excepted) is that they are cheaper and more easily controlled than citizen workers.
This bill would nearly eliminate the first reason by making visa labor cost more than citizen labor.
The second part remains to be fixed. As it stands, companies can subject visa workers to conditions and stipulations that would (and do) cause citizen workers to walk out in disgust, without major risk of penalty. The visa workers have the choice of either enduring said conditions or run the risk of having their visas revoked for "making waves" about them. While not illegal, per se, I consider it unfair almost to the point of indentured servitude.

Forum List

Back