To fat for a Job?

Crixus

Gold Member
Oct 9, 2015
BFE Texas.
So, the work I do is outside all day long. It's not really labor intensive but it requires that one handle stress well and one will be exposed to all the elements in the course of their day. So a month ago a big fat new guy had an infarction. He was okay, but he no longer works for us. I was listening to a job interview going on and one of the questions the dude asked was if the applicant was a smoker, something our company does not tolerate and he was told we have a weight maximum of 275 lbs. basically you can not be a disgusting fat ass. I looked online and in the paper and they even said there is a 275 pound weight limit for prospective employees and smokers won't be considered anymore. I see the wisdom in both, but ain't they asking for trouble by adding those requirements?

Why is there a weight limit? Does it have anything to do with equipment?

Usually, if you impose a weight limit, you have to be able to demonstrate that it impacts the ability to do the job not that you consider the obese to be disgusting

I have heard of smoking being banned on the job, but I don't see how they can ban you from smoking while not on the clock

Why is there a weight limit? Does it have anything to do with equipment?

Not really. I could see if we were on ladders. Only guess I can make is that it's a helth thing and due to the fact they need folks who can move and shake on their feet. Utility locators work out on highways and in my case way out on nowhere ville...

Usually, if you impose a weight limit, you have to be able to demonstrate that it impacts the ability to do the job not that you consider the obese to be disgusting

I have heard of smoking being banned on the job, but I don't see how they can ban you from smoking while not on the clock

Me neither. But in interviews now they bluntly ask if you are a smoker.

Forum List

Back