To Impeach or to survive that is the question?

william the wie

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2009
With more jobs than workers in the economy and possible special counsels for D misconduct in 2016 stacking up on the one hand v. the MSM spoon feeding the D base that the 2016 election can be reversed failing to impeach in the house will be seen as a betrayal by the D base. But the problems for the Ds are:

That in 34 days the Blue Wall economic base will see another wave of SALT induced loss of tax base and the resulting higher taxes will fall disproportionately on Ds
The designation of the Mexican cartels as terrorists means being a sanctuary jurisdiction that protects the people CBP/ICE are interested in sending to jail has become a major felony.

The real kick in the teeth is that when you look at vulnerable D house seats Pelosi is asking @ 40 D representatives to walk the plank in order to send impeachment to the Senate. No Rs defected in the inquiry vote but two Ds did. With effectively zero probability of removal of office and near certainty of massive losses in the general election and Pelosi also likely to face jail time when D corruption civil suits get launched against her, Kerry and Biden by the Ukrainian government, what Guiliani was trolling for in the Ukraine, I suspect that the Ds will split. what do you think?

I don't know what they do, but I am sure they have already cost themselves a number of seats and many votes no mater what they do. If they go the impeachment route, I assume they will just cost themselves more.

I don't know what they do, but I am sure they have already cost themselves a number of seats and many votes no mater what they do. If they go the impeachment route, I assume they will just cost themselves more.
Definitely the way to bet

With more jobs than workers in the economy and possible special counsels for D misconduct in 2016 stacking up on the one hand v. the MSM spoon feeding the D base that the 2016 election can be reversed failing to impeach in the house will be seen as a betrayal by the D base. But the problems for the Ds are:

That in 34 days the Blue Wall economic base will see another wave of SALT induced loss of tax base and the resulting higher taxes will fall disproportionately on Ds
The designation of the Mexican cartels as terrorists means being a sanctuary jurisdiction that protects the people CBP/ICE are interested in sending to jail has become a major felony.

The real kick in the teeth is that when you look at vulnerable D house seats Pelosi is asking @ 40 D representatives to walk the plank in order to send impeachment to the Senate. No Rs defected in the inquiry vote but two Ds did. With effectively zero probability of removal of office and near certainty of massive losses in the general election and Pelosi also likely to face jail time when D corruption civil suits get launched against her, Kerry and Biden by the Ukrainian government, what Guiliani was trolling for in the Ukraine, I suspect that the Ds will split. what do you think?
Good Questions. I think they will lose impeachment and probably the 2020 election.

GettyImages-1193120545-820x550.jpg

The Democratic party is dying from its hatred of President Trump. Democrats have not been able to come up with any charges more concrete than ‘abuse of power’ and ‘obstruction of Congress.’ Abuse of power is certainly a serious thing — but only if it’s real. Partisans think that almost anything a president from the opposing party does amounts to an abuse of power. For impeachment to amount to anything more than partisan harassment, an actual crime ought to be found as well, somewhere along the line: an act of wrongdoing objectively contrary to the law. Otherwise, any procedural or policy disagreement — or any pretext whatsoever — can be construed by a party out to get an enemy president as an ‘abuse of power.’

Adam Schiff discovered that ‘bribery’ was a crime that polled well in focus groups. But Democrats fell so far short of the mark of proving that bribery took place in President Trump’s dealings with Ukraine that they dared not even make the accusation in their articles of impeachment. Instead, they used abuse of power simply to refer to actions they didn’t like, and they whipped up a new non-crime, ‘obstruction of Congress’, in an act of desperation. But Trump’s refusal to let administration officials play along with the Democrats’ pantomime impeachment proceedings is simply a bold assertion of the Constitution’s separation of powers. Congress can demand testimony, but it needs the executive branch to enforce the demand. And the executive branch is constitutionally independent — it can exercise its own judgment about the legitimacy of the demand and whether it must be enforced. There is no crime, and while the majority in Congress may be piqued by executive defiance, pique makes a lousy basis for impeachment. If voters think that Congress is right to demand cooperation and the executive is wrong to refuse, then voters can take action by voting out the president or voting in a larger congressional majority. But Democrats don’t want Trump’s fate to be decided by voters in November 2020. They want it to be decided by Congress.

Democrats are going to regret getting their wish. Trump’s acquittal in a Senate trial is a virtual foregone conclusion, and there are several indications that the humiliating failure of impeachment will hurt Democrats in November 2020. Some moderate Democrats have been quietly pushing for a vote to censure the president rather than impeach him. They know that they risk alienating voters in battleground districts by voting for impeachment. But Nancy Pelosi’s leadership in the House is now more responsive to the activist wing of the Democratic party — the wing driven above all else by hatred for Donald Trump — than to the moderates who stand to pay the price for the activist left’s vendetta. Trump’s own poll numbers in key battleground states have risen as the impeachment process has dragged on without uncovering plain criminal wrongdoing. Instead of removing Trump from office or putting Senate Republicans from battleground states in a tough position in 2020, impeachment may wind up guaranteeing Trump’s re-election and endangering vulnerable House Democrats. The electorate in 2020, after all, will almost certainly be more Republican than the electorate in 2018 was — midterms are always better for the party in opposition to the White House, while presidential elections maximize turnout for everyone. That puts the congressional Democrats’ marginal victors from the midterms in serious jeopardy. Impeachment has only hurt them.

How Democrats lost the Impeachment War — and probably 2020 | Spectator USA

Forum List

Back