Top 5 Point Guards in NBA History

The_Lyrical_Miracle

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2021
I saw a hot take the other day saying Chris Paul was a "Top 5 point guard in NBA history"... and, I had to disagree. It got me wanting to start a thread here, and if you disagree, say why.

But first, I want to define what a point guard even is, because there are people who technically play the position but aren't truly what is meant by a "point guard". Of course, this is a grey area, and you can call me out, that's fine, but what I would hope is that we could all agree that an NBA point guard is someone who facilitates offense through positioning and passing, not necessarily simply by scoring a lot of points.

With that being said, here's my top 5:

1. Magic Johnson
2. Oscar Robinson
3. John Stockton
4. Steve Nash
5. Isaiah Thomas

So, no, Chris Paul isn't a top 5 PG, even though he's nasty legit.

1) Magic
2) Oscar
3) Jason Kidd
4) Isiah Thomas
5) Gary Payton
I definitely considered Jason Kidd and Gary Payton.

My 2 questions are:

1. Given how massive John Stockton's numbers are, how do you leave him out of your list entirely

2. Gary Payton did not have a long elite career like all of my listings... the only comparison I could see is a Steve Nash vs. Gary Payton debate as far as longetivity, but Nash's heights were higher than Paytons, as Nash was 2 time MVP, and he showed it. How do you reconsile that?

I saw a hot take the other day saying Chris Paul was a "Top 5 point guard in NBA history"... and, I had to disagree. It got me wanting to start a thread here, and if you disagree, say why.

But first, I want to define what a point guard even is, because there are people who technically play the position but aren't truly what is meant by a "point guard". Of course, this is a grey area, and you can call me out, that's fine, but what I would hope is that we could all agree that an NBA point guard is someone who facilitates offense through positioning and passing, not necessarily simply by scoring a lot of points.

1. Magic Johnson
2. Oscar Robinson
3. John Stockton
4. Steve Nash
5. Isaiah Thomas

Isiah Thomas was better then both Nash and Stockton

1. Magic Johnson
2. Oscar Robinson
3. John Stockton
4. Steve Nash
5. Isaiah Thomas

I agree. He’s good. Even great. Just not that great.

Harden is better?

I definitely considered Jason Kidd and Gary Payton.

My 2 questions are:

1. Given how massive John Stockton's numbers are, how do you leave him out of your list entirely

2. Gary Payton did not have a long elite career like all of my listings... the only comparison I could see is a Steve Nash vs. Gary Payton debate as far as longetivity, but Nash's heights were higher than Paytons, as Nash was 2 time MVP, and he showed it. How do you reconsile that?
How about Allen iverson? Gary Payton ruined his legacy when him, Kobe, shaq and Karl Malone blew it against my pistons.

And this years laker disappointment was worse because at least Payton got to the finals.

Forum List

Back