Total Information Awareness Program...U.S.A.

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Or: How government programs never die...

I encourage all of you to read the entire page here: Information Awareness Office - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I rearranged the contents to make there presentation in this post more logical.

590px-IAO-logo.png

Total Information Awareness (TIA).

This would be achieved by creating enormous computer databases to gather and store the personal information of everyone in the United States, including personal e-mails, social networks, credit card records, phone calls, medical records, and numerous other sources, without any requirement for a search warrant.[1]

Following public criticism that the development and deployment of this technology could potentially lead to a mass surveillance system, the IAO was defunded by Congress in 2003.

IAO changed the name of the program to the Terrorism Information Awareness Program and emphasized that the program was not designed to compile dossiers on US citizens, but rather to research and develop the tools that would allow authorized agencies to gather information on terrorist networks.

Despite the name change and these assurances, the critics continued to see the system as prone to potential misuse or abuse.

As a result House and Senate negotiators moved to prohibit further funding for the TIA program by adding provisions to the Department of Defense Appropriations Act, 2004[10] (signed into law by President Bush on October 1, 2003).

Despite the withdrawal of funding for the TIA and the closing of the IAO, the core of the project survived.[5][6][27] Legislators included a classified annex to the Defense Appropriations Act that preserved funding for TIA's component technologies, if they were transferred to other government agencies.

TIA projects continued to be funded under classified annexes to Defense and Intelligence appropriation bills. However, the act also stipulated that the technologies only be used for military or foreign intelligence purposes against foreigners.[28]

everal IAO projects continued to be funded, and merely run under different names.[3][4][5][6]

All of the above from Wikipedia...link at the top of the page.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So the Republican Congress defunded this project...stipulated that it only be used by the military or against non-U.S. citizens...but here it is, large as life as PRISM...

Last edited:
If the 2004 Defense Appropriations Act "stipulated that the technologies only be used for military or foreign intelligence purposes against foreigners" isn't PRISM an illegal program?

It's Congress and the Executive branch publicly denouncing and outlawing while secretly allowing the opposite.

Make you wonder about other things that are supposedly illegal...like a national firearm registration...that may be being secretly compiled with classified approval.

I expect you are right...maybe after a period of processing it will get more attention.

Defund and publicly denounce a program, then create the same program under a different name and keep it classified so that nobody can talk about it publicly or even acknowledge that it exists.

This is why we need whistleblowers. So-called accountability in government is absolutely impossible without them.

Defund and publicly denounce a program, then create the same program under a different name and keep it classified so that nobody can talk about it publicly or even acknowledge that it exists.

This is why we need whistleblowers. So-called accountability in government is absolutely impossible without them.

How many times do you imagine "our" representatives have pulled this.

Of course they'll say this was a fluke, an oversight, an accident...but how can we believe that?

Of course they'll say this was a fluke, an oversight, an accident...but how can we believe that?

We can't. My guess is this is just the tip of the iceberg.

I just read the article on Drudge about Clapper and how many times we were lied to about the NSA only spying on foreign terrorist and agents, never Americans....

I agree, tip of the iceberg.

I just read the article on Drudge about Clapper and how many times we were lied to about the NSA only spying on foreign terrorist and agents, never Americans....

I agree, tip of the iceberg.

Greenwald is hinting that there's more to come in interviews, but even that will still be minuscule I suspect.

Ya, like this one was a ‘fluke’ and no one noticed:
utah-data-center-build.jpg

What do they think this building was built for? Storing teddy bears?

This is why we cannot trust the government. It is NOT us as some here like to claim. We put them there but they act of their own volition and it seems that when we exchange one for another we end up with the same bullshit.

Forum List

Back