Trader Joe’s Rejects Walmart Strategy

For you Neo-Cons who think that a company can only get by if it screws its workers....this one's for you!!

We’ve watched as places like Walmart, Papa John’s, Target, Applebee’s and other businesses continue to pay sub-par wages while claiming their only option for profit, given the economy and their being “forced” to provide employees with insurance, is to either cut employees’ hours and/or their wages. This miserly strategy is justified and implemented despite the fact that research shows that raising wages would actually “benefit workers, the industry and the overall economy".

Many employers believe that one of the best ways to raise their profit margin is to cut labor costs. But companies like QuikTrip, the grocery-store chain Trader Joe’s, and Costco Wholesale are proving that the decision to offer low wages is a choice, not an economic necessity. All three are low-cost retailers, a sector that is traditionally known for relying on part-time, low-paid employees. Yet these companies have all found that the act of valuing workers can pay off in the form of increased sales and productivity

Rejecting Walmart Strategy, Trader Joe?s Pays Employees A Living Wage And Wins | Addicting Info

I don't shop at Walmart or buy pizza from Papa Johns. Their merchandise and food sucks and they treat their employees like shit.

sooo..., lets see; if there merchandise and food was better you'd shop there?:eusa_drool:

you're so full of shit.....:lol:

and why is this in politics?:eusa_eh:

just because you've been programed to see this as a political issue, doesn't mean everyone else has...

jump sheep, jump!!!
uploaded_EmoticonJumpSheep.gif

With 60 responses I'm not the only one who sees this as a political issue, moron.

And obiviously you must think so too since you posted 3 times in it, right you hypocritical jumping sheep?

just wondering

Is it just me and the other conservatives that look at jobs in walmart, TJ, costco, etc, has jobs for kids, adults between jobs and something easy to do when your older and not as a career choice?

Seriously, t-pok said costco cashiers get $40k after 5 years. What kind of person could do such a job for 5 fucking years?

The wacko progressives think that every job from burger flipping to sweeping floors should pay enough for someone to raise a family and send 4 kids to college.

when Ur a slobbering union hack that hates excellence, initiative and lives on last in first out and federal subsidies, what would you expect? ;)

When I was training for my Ergo. Certification I visited a few assembly lines.....I agree to an extent they deserve some decent pay, its a mind numbing and in imho demeaning work..... but they had guys there that loved it....why? they told me they got 'bank'....as pay, benes etc. and thats why they did it....see where I am coming from;)

I've seen enough posts from you about your job that....

1) You brag about being better than someone who works with their hands, and

2) If you had to do a REAL days work you'd be crying like a little girl.

Not everyone kneels down in front of the boss to get prissy little office jobs like you. And it's easy to see that the only way you could ever know about an assembly line is by "visiting" one. You know nothing about the kind of work they do making the products that pays your pampered ass.

Trader Joe's is not known for being a low cost store. It charges more than any supermarket.

Uh, no it doesn't. I've lived in a few different areas of the country, and Trader Joe's has ALWAYS been the cheaper option.

Trader Joe's is not known for being a low cost store. It charges more than any supermarket.

Uh, no it doesn't. I've lived in a few different areas of the country, and Trader Joe's has ALWAYS been the cheaper option.
Absolutely TJ's is cheaper. I shop there all the time, and I compare prices. I love good cheese and it's a fraction of what I'd pay at other markets.

For you Neo-Cons who think that a company can only get by if it screws its workers....this one's for you!!

We’ve watched as places like Walmart, Papa John’s, Target, Applebee’s and other businesses continue to pay sub-par wages while claiming their only option for profit, given the economy and their being “forced” to provide employees with insurance, is to either cut employees’ hours and/or their wages. This miserly strategy is justified and implemented despite the fact that research shows that raising wages would actually “benefit workers, the industry and the overall economy".

Many employers believe that one of the best ways to raise their profit margin is to cut labor costs. But companies like QuikTrip, the grocery-store chain Trader Joe’s, and Costco Wholesale are proving that the decision to offer low wages is a choice, not an economic necessity. All three are low-cost retailers, a sector that is traditionally known for relying on part-time, low-paid employees. Yet these companies have all found that the act of valuing workers can pay off in the form of increased sales and productivity

Rejecting Walmart Strategy, Trader Joe?s Pays Employees A Living Wage And Wins | Addicting Info

I don't shop at Walmart or buy pizza from Papa Johns. Their merchandise and food sucks and they treat their employees like shit.

Glad they pay their workers well. I have been to Trader Joes a few times. I have to say, I haven't been impressed.

Don't know which TJ's you've been in. I found their prices ridiculously high...their website shows a cheese for $10.99 a pound. Glad they're apparently doing well but I can't see what the big deal about them is. Give me some Sargento's for $2.50 a pound any day...

I am always amazed at the idiocy of people you who have NO concept of the difference between markets!

Trader Joe's:
gross revenue: $8.5 billion
Employees 10,000
Locations: 395
revenue per employee:$850,000
Revenue per location: $21,518,987
Employees/location: 26
Trader Joe's - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Walmart
gross revenue: $446 billion
Employees : 2,200,000
Locations: 8,970
Revenue per employee:$220,000
Revenue per location $46 million
Employees/location:245
where you gettin your figures from?

Customers Flee Wal-Mart Empty Shelves for Target, Costco - Yahoo! Finance
"If it's not on the shelf, I can't buy it," she said. "You hate to see a company self-destruct, but there are other places to go."
It's not as though the merchandise isn't there. It's piling up in aisles and in the back of stores because Wal-Mart doesn't have enough bodies to restock the shelves, according to interviews with store workers. In the past five years, the world's largest retailer added 455 U.S. Wal-Mart stores, a 13 percent increase, according to filings and the company's website. In the same period, its total U.S. workforce, which includes Sam's Club employees, dropped by about 20,000, or 1.4 percent. Wal-Mart employs about 1.4 million U.S. workers.

$10-$12 an hour is a living wage in California?

It certainly beats minimum wage, but the idea that Trader Joe's is a 'low cost' leader is wrong. Actually so is Costco. They carry expensive brands and sell them at a bit over wholesale. Quantity counts.

The average grocery is not able to compete with Costco prices, nor Trader Joe's specialties.

all I can say is this. when trader joes's is bigger then walmart I am in. untill then......dream on.

That's great! Free enterprise at work. See why, until Obama, America had the world's Number 1 economy?

You could break your own nose with your knee jerking up like that.

How about you post some PROOF that Obama controls what TJ's and WM pay. And, how about you look a little further back - like to the Bush crash and the Bush recession.

Or, you could just go right on pretending its all Obama's fault.

:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

aint that what happened to you during the last mass shooting in your haste to get here and post it?....

fyi what ever happen to TCBY? remember it was taking the nation by storm in the 80's......

I'm not familiar with QuicTrip, but Trader Joes is more expensive than most grocery stores, so the higher wages and better service comes with a price tag.

Costco Wholesale charges a membership fee, sells bulk-size items which they buy at wholesale rate, sell at closer to retail rate and guarantee quantity sales by product size.

So Trader Joes has a different customer base and market and Costco has a different business model and market.

Add on that you do get better productivity and can certainly be more profitable with higher wages if those wages are comparitavely higher than competitors..

Example: 5 grocery stores pay at or near minimum wage ($7.25/hr). Store 6 pays $12.00/hr. Potential workers are indifferent between stores 1-5 but are more interested in Store 6, which benefits from the competition of workers to get a job and can be more selective. Once a worker is in a job, if a worker in stores 1 is less than competent or takes a lot of time off and is fired, s/he can still find a job working the same salary at stores 2-5. Not so a worker at Store 6.

Henry Ford demonstrated all this a century ago when he cut absenteeism and increased productivity of workers by paying significantly above the average wage.

But again, that only works in comparison.

Walmart pays $7.25/hr. Their productivity and service is no greater than when they were paying $5.25/hr. Increasing wages only works if your competitors don't (or you have a market niche).
Trader Joe's is cheaper than Safeway, and way cheaper than Whole Foods.
no where near as good though......and one of their stores would fit into a corner of one of Whole Foods....

Don't know which TJ's you've been in. I found their prices ridiculously high...their website shows a cheese for $10.99 a pound. Glad they're apparently doing well but I can't see what the big deal about them is. Give me some Sargento's for $2.50 a pound any day...

must be were you live or if you like the place or not and if your honest about it.....were i am at they are higher.....not a lot to make a difference.....Whole foods is high enough to make a difference.....but they are worth going to every now and then....

All employees should start at the top, even entry level unskilled labor.......and part timers should get full benefits as well..........communal workers of the world unite!

must be were you live or if you like the place or not and if your honest about it.....were i am at they are higher.....not a lot to make a difference.....Whole foods is high enough to make a difference.....but they are worth going to every now and then....

Yeah, WF is more pricier down here in S Texas but the quality is way better than TJ's, which is even pricier than WF. I usually only hit em up once a month and shop at the local supermarket for better prices.

Yeah, WF is more pricier down here in S Texas but the quality is way better than TJ's, which is even pricier than WF. I usually only hit em up once a month and shop at the local supermarket for better prices.
Trader Joe's is more expensive than Whole Foods in Texas?... Wow.

Forum List

Back