True or false: any personal freedom that brings harm to society in general should...

...be outlawed.

True.

There are no personal freedoms that bring harm to others. It is certain people who bring harm, by any means available, and they could care less about rights or laws. My right to own a gun will never harm anyone unless I use it in self defense. No one else should be afraid of law abiding gun owners, in fact you should feel safer when a weapon is in the hands of a responsible individual. It's the deranged criminals, with or without guns, that people should fear.

The right to own guns does not harm others. Criminals harm others.

We have laws in place that make it a serious offense to harm others and they should carry a stiff penalty when broken. We simply need to enforce the laws and not create new laws to oppress those who do no harm. Clearly, more laws will not deter criminals. What may deter criminals is actually punishing those who do break laws instead of giving them a slap on the wrist.

My right to own a gun will never harm anyone
Only if you take reasonable precautions in securing that gun. If you are careless in keeping your weapon secure, you could contribute to the harm of another.
We simply need to enforce the laws and not create new laws
and if the NRA had not gutted the enforcement of existing laws with the Tihart Amendments, your solution may have worked.

Last edited:
What is "society"?

Can the rights to life, liberty, property and to pursue happiness be UNALIENABLE if we must be concerned about "society"?

I think that is the point of the OP, that rights should be stripped if it is declared that doing so will serve society. That as a people, we should sacrifice some for the benefit of others.

The ultimate expression of the principle Billy puts forth would be a village of 150 people that had only enough food stores to provide for 100. In the view of the left, 50 people should be killed so that "society" can flourish. The right to life is denied so that the needs of society are met.

What is "society"?

Can the rights to life, liberty, property and to pursue happiness be UNALIENABLE if we must be concerned about "society"?

I think that is the point of the OP, that rights should be stripped if it is declared that doing so will serve society. That as a people, we should sacrifice some for the benefit of others.

The ultimate expression of the principle Billy puts forth would be a village of 150 people that had only enough food stores to provide for 100. In the view of the left, 50 people should be killed so that "society" can flourish. The right to life is denied so that the needs of society are met.
This is especially so if the liberals get to choose which 50 people get the axe.

What is "society"?

This is especially so if the liberals get to choose which 50 people get the axe.

That's a given. The "leaders" determine the "worth" of each to society. Loyalty being the primary indicator.

That's a given. The "leaders" determine the "worth" of each to society. Loyalty being the primary indicator.
Gotta surround yourself with useful idiots.

Sometimes it is difficult for people to admit/see that certain personal freedoms cause societal harm.
-Simple ownership/possession of a firearm - any kind of firearm - harms no one.
-Simple ownership/possession of a firearm - any kind of firearm - places no one in a condition of clear, present and immediate danger.

Was there anything else?

You could say that about virtually any weapon, including chemicals, biologicals, etc.

Are you attempting to argue that it should be unconstitutional to ban the possession of anything that until it were actually used, does not cause harm?

Name them you gutless fuck.

Don't go all TDM on us. :eusa_hand:

Are you going to blame him because you didn't read (or chose to ignore) his post that proved that claim wrong?

And it's his fault for calling you on it?

Seriously?

That's the "debate" you bring to the table?
Carby's stupid post proved nothing of the sort.

Where can I buy myself a truckload of this "society" thingy you guys are yammering about?

Is it bigger than a bread box?

Forum List

Back