True or False?

eagle7_31

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2013
Obamacare will allow insurers to charge 50 percent higher premiums for smokers, but prohibits insurers from increasing premiums for those with HIV/AIDS.

If this is true its crap to say the least.

I'm going to have to agree. If preexisting conditions are excluded from premium increases, then ALL PEC's need to be treated the same.

Obamacare will allow insurers to charge 50 percent higher premiums for smokers, but prohibits insurers from increasing premiums for those with HIV/AIDS.

Because every child born with HIV/AIDS made the choice to what....?

And every person with HIV/AIDS knew their partner had HIV?

And then there's the cop who pulls a bleeding person from a car wreck... A person with HIV. Yeah, let's make the cop go broke for rescuing someone.

What if we based premiums on body fat and weight? How about them apples?

I'm going to have to agree. If preexisting conditions are excluded from premium increases, then ALL PEC's need to be treated the same.

Smoking is not a pre-existing condition?

AIDS / HIV is.

Obesity is.

Eating junk and not exercising, NOT.

Didja do something crazy like...oh, I don't know...look for EVIDENCE this is true?

Didn't think so.

According to this link the states can decide whether or not to add a 50 percent surcharge on smokers.

A victory for states rights!

D.C. and a handful of states decided not to charge smokers more for their health insurance, but in Maryland and Virginia, the 50 percent surcharge on smokers goes into effect next Tuesday.

Why are you singling out HIV/AIDS and not cancer or MS or a whole constellation of pre-existing or catastrophic medical conditions?

If you want to avoid higher premiums for being a smoker, just don't tell them you're a smoker (lol). Are you the ONE guy who checked the "I smoke" box when completing your yearly benefit enrollment package? lol.

I'm just messin with you by the way...

If you want to avoid higher premiums for being a smoker, just don't tell them you're a smoker (lol). Are you the ONE guy who checked the "I smoke" box when completing your yearly benefit enrollment package? lol.

Then you get cancer or emphysema because of your smoking, and the insurance company does not pay your bills because you falsified your documents.

Then you get cancer or emphysema because of your smoking, and the insurance company does not pay your bills because you falsified your documents.

Just say it was second hand.

They dont do that. They drop people when they get sick. Don't you remember the liberal talking point here? Insurance companies drop people simply for getting sick. The fact they lied on their application is irrelevant.
Fortunately under Obamacare it wont matter. I would be insurers will be under pressure not to investigate claims. Just like the system wil not verify incomes.

Forum List

Back