Trump Apprears To Float Third Party Run

He has lost support. Lost "a lot" of support? I'm not so sure.

From your link:

Driving the news: A new USA Today/Suffolk poll found Trump's favorability among Republicans dropped from 75% in October to 64% in December — below the 70% threshold generally viewed as a Mendoza line for support within a candidate's own party.

• A Quinnipiac poll out Wednesday puts Trump's favorability among GOP voters right at 70% — his lowest mark in the survey since March 2016.
  • And a new Wall Street Journal poll has him at 74% — above the Mendoza line, but a 11% decline since March.
A better way to put it would be that Trump still has a lot of support. Losing ten points in the least favorable poll listed doesn't seem like a lot, given that in was still at 64%. 64% would mean another landslide for him in the primary.

• Equally troubling for the former president: Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis is dominating him in a hypothetical head-to-head primary, leading by 23 points (56%–33%) in the Suffolk poll and 14 points (52%–38%) in the WSJ poll.
That would be one to worry about, if those results were consistent in other polls. But only if DeSantis actually runs. I think DeSantis would be unwise to run in 2024. In 2028, he will have a wide open field. The aging GOP establishment will be even more aged, there won't be an incumbent president, assuming that it will be Biden v. Trump in 2024, and if Biden wins, all of his failures can be pinned on Newsome or whoever is nominated.

The big picture: The conventional wisdom that Trump is the favorite to be the GOP nominee is no longer borne out by the polling data.

That statement does not seem supported by the numbers above, other than the head to head comparison with DeSantis.

But there is no reason to believe that the primary will be head to head. In 2016, Trump's big advantage was his competition being divided among several other opponents, all of whom had to scramble for the shrinking number of never-Trump voters.

If they had gotten together and picked one anti-Trump champion and the rest dropped out of the primary, they might have defeated him. But they were incapable of that, and would likely be again. Even if they did pick one to back, I doubt that it would be DeSantis.
I think the biggest problem for Republicans is they lack the nads to confront Trump

Most do not want to take on MAGA and will withstand Trumps petty taunts and baseless misinformation without retaliation

Trump will bully the other candidates and the party will do nothing to stop him

You just rattled off a list of the most prominent Republicans. Obviously, if anyone were to run against Trump, it makes sense that it would be them. But that is a big "if."

But none of them have said anything at all about running for president in 2024 that I know of. Except for Pence who said that he and his family are giving it "prayerful consideration." Pence is definitely not already in. There was a false rumor floated that he had filed, but his people shot it down.

When his opponents are that timid, it is hard to take them seriously.

It would be stupid for any Repub to declare now. That gives Trump a target and something to talk about other than himself. It would bring more media attention back to Trump, which he desperately wants and needs.

The smart move is to let him continue to flounder and damage himself. It is not about being timid, it is about being smart

A serious third party run got us that slimeball Slick Willy with barely 40% of the vote.

Splitting the Conservative vote between a Republican and Trump would get us another Democrat piece of shit that could never win on his own.

A serious third party run got us that slimeball Slick Willy with barely 40% of the vote.

Splitting the Conservative vote between a Republican and Trump would get us another Democrat piece of shit that could never win on his own.

Trump is counting on that to blackmail his party

You just rattled off a list of the most prominent Republicans. Obviously, if anyone were to run against Trump, it makes sense that it would be them. But that is a big "if."

But none of them have said anything at all about running for president in 2024 that I know of. Except for Pence who said that he and his family are giving it "prayerful consideration." Pence is definitely not already in. There was a false rumor floated that he had filed, but his people shot it down.

When his opponents are that timid, it is hard to take them seriously.
Do you really think nobody is going to run for President besides Trump?

There will be 10-12 competitors.

I'm curious if Trump gets "Bernied" with someone brokering a mass withdraw to consolidate the sizable anti-blob vote.

I'm seeing a lot of buzz and excitement for DeSantis too in circles you might not expect it. Many, many "open school moms" who were formerly Democrats will NOT vote for Trump but are eager to work for a DeSantis campaign. And I've been wrong before, but the momentum seems to be trending away from Trump.
I believe that there are many, many people who would like to see DeSantis run. I'm not sure DeSantis is one of them, though.

IMO, the best thing for the good of the country would be for Trump to drop dead and DeSantis take over. Wouldn't be the best thing for Trump, obviously, and I don't wish it on him.

If that happened, DeSantis would be very popular among the voters, but not with the GOP establishment. The McConnell/Romney/Cheney cabal would oppose him and he doesn't have the thick skin that Trump has.

It should be an interesting couple of years.

Well, it's going to be Trump or nobody.

If the blob is the nominee, he's going to lose.

If the blob isn't the nominee, are folks like you going to stay home because your God was not the nominee? I think a good % of you guys are. Can you imagine voting for Nikki Haley...someone who actually thinks the UN is a good thing?

I know you have zero character so I imagine you would vote for anyone you're told to vote for. But a lot of you guys are just dumb enough to stand in the corner and pout.

I'm curious if Trump gets "Bernied" with someone brokering a mass withdraw to consolidate the sizable anti-blob vote.

If Republicans do not Bernie Trump, you can expect a repeat of 2016 with Trump making a large field fight among themselves as to who is the best Trump alternative

Former President Donald Trump has appeared to float the idea of running a third-party campaign if increasingly disgruntled Republican leaders don’t get behind his 2024 run for the presidency.

Trump signaled the possibility by posting an article on Truth Social Wednesday ― “The Coming Split,” by Dan Gelernter, in the right-wing journal American Greatness ― promoting just such an option.

Gelernter believes such a move would torpedo Trump’s chances of winning the White House. But it would also wipe out Republican hopes, which Gelernter argued would be a deserving punishment for rejecting the popular former president.

To which I say.....Yes....Yes.....Yes.....Yes with handing the White House, Senate and House with whipped cream on top!!!
Trump appears in your stupid head continuously. You are insane.

I think that someone will make a token effort. Probably someone very much like Bernie, a relative unknown with no reasonable chance to win. Bernie ran to keep it from being obvious that The Party had chosen Hillary without bothering to let the voters have a say.

If one serious candidate steps up, then I agree that there will be many competitors like the Clown Car of 2016. Pence, et al, are each waiting for someone else to be first. They want the cat belled, but none of the mice are willing to step up.

I think that someone will make a token effort. Probably someone very much like Bernie, a relative unknown with no reasonable chance to win. Bernie ran to keep it from being obvious that The Party had chosen Hillary without bothering to let the voters have a say.

If one serious candidate steps up, then I agree that there will be many competitors like the Clown Car of 2016. Pence, et al, are each waiting for someone else to be first. They want the cat belled, but none of the mice are willing to step up.
It will be fun to resurrect this thread in about a year.

I believe that there are many, many people who would like to see DeSantis run. I'm not sure DeSantis is one of them, though.

DeSantis is being sold as the anti-Trump
Trumpism without the Trump baggage

I don’t see him doing well against Trump head to head.

Once the spotlight is focused on DeSantis, I think he will be revealed for what he is…….Dull and uninspiring

You don’t see much personality out of DeSantis. Forced smile, no joking or amusing stories….Stiff

Trump will steal his Lunch Money

DeSantis is being sold as the anti-Trump
Trumpism without the Trump baggage
Yes, exactly.

What many don't get is that the "Trump baggage," is a direct product of Trump actually standing up to Dems and doing what he said he would do. What he said he would do is what the Establishment Reps have alsways said "should be" done, but they've never done it. They just rolled over for the Dems.

Trump didn't, so they went after him for seven fruitless years. They created lots of baggage, but no evidence of any actual wrongdoing. Other than not caving in to Democrats, which they see as his great and unforgiveable wrongdoing.

If DeSantis were to stand up to them as well, they would go after him, his wife and kids, his dog if he has one, his goldfish, and anyone who supports him, just as they did for Trump.

I don’t see him doing well against Trump head to head.

Once the spotlight is focused on DeSantis, I think he will be revealed for what he is…….Dull and uninspiring

You don’t see much personality out of DeSantis. Forced smile, no joking or amusing stories….Stiff

Trump will steal his Lunch Money
Yes. That's why I don't expect DeSantis to run.

What many don't get is that the "Trump baggage," is a direct product of Trump actually standing up to Dems and doing what he said he would do. What he said he would do is what the Establishment Reps have alsways said "should be" done, but they've never done it. They just rolled over for the Dems.

No, the Trump Baggage is that he is seriously disliked and never won the popular vote.

There is a solid base, that is over 50 percent of the voters that would never vote for Trump under any circumstance. That base has grown since he left office

The only thing I get from the links is that LIBERALS are pushing for a third party run.

They absolutely NEED that.

How old will Biden be when he runs again? 82?????

I think the biggest problem for Republicans is they lack the nads to confront Trump

Most do not want to take on MAGA and will withstand Trumps petty taunts and baseless misinformation without retaliation

Trump will bully the other candidates and the party will do nothing to stop him
What could The Party do, though?

Trump's power to bully comes from his voters.

Unless The Party wants to reveal that they hate democracy just as much as the Democrats Party does, they can't openly oppose the will of the voters.

The only ones who can go against him are politicians who can plausibly claim to also appeal to GOP voters. The problem for establishment GOPers is that while much of Trump's base is Republican voters who got tired of watching the GOP establishment constantly give the Democrats everything they wanted, like McConnell did in the latest spending spree, another large part of his base is working class voters who left the Democratic Party when they saw it turn from the party of the workers to the party of the wokers.

The GOP establishment will hold no appeal to them at all.

What could The Party do, though?

Trump's power to bully comes from his voters.

Unless The Party wants to reveal that they hate democracy just as much as Democrats do, they can't openly oppose the will of the voters.

The only ones who can go against him are politicians who can plausibly claim to also appeal to GOP voters. The problem for establishment GOPers is that while much of Trump's base is Republican voters who got tired of watching the GOP establishment constantly give the Democrats everything they wanted, like McConnell did in the latest spending spree, another large part of his base is working class voters who left the Democratic Party when they saw it turn from the party of the workers to the party of the wokers.

The GOP establishment will hold no appeal to them at all.
It's rather obvious RWer is living with a trespasser and that's why he hates MAGA.

Former President Donald Trump has appeared to float the idea of running a third-party campaign if increasingly disgruntled Republican leaders don’t get behind his 2024 run for the presidency.

Trump signaled the possibility by posting an article on Truth Social Wednesday ― “The Coming Split,” by Dan Gelernter, in the right-wing journal American Greatness ― promoting just such an option.

Gelernter believes such a move would torpedo Trump’s chances of winning the White House. But it would also wipe out Republican hopes, which Gelernter argued would be a deserving punishment for rejecting the popular former president.

To which I say.....Yes....Yes.....Yes.....Yes with handing the White House, Senate and House with whipped cream on top!!!
3rd party candidates never win presidential elections. There are too many people entrenched in both major political parties and not enough people like me.

Forum List

Back