Trump caves

TNHarley

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2012
Trump changes tack, backs 'one China' policy in call with Xi
U.S. President Donald Trump changed tack and agreed to honor the "one China" policy during a phone call with China's leader Xi Jinping, a major diplomatic boost for Beijing which brooks no criticism of its claim to self-ruled Taiwan.
Trump angered Beijing in December by talking to the president of Taiwan and saying the United States did not have to stick to the policy, under which Washington acknowledges the Chinese position that there is only one China and Taiwan is part of it.
A White House statement said Trump and Chinese President Xi had a lengthy phone conversation on Thursday night, Washington time.
"President Trump agreed, at the request of President Xi, to honor our 'one China' policy," the statement said.
-------

I wonder wtf his reasoning is for this?

"Trump has reassured people that he will be a responsible president," he told Reuters. "...This is good news for China, because stable U.S.-China relations are good for China. Now we can do business."

When will you all figure out that it is and has always been Trump's MO to keep those with whom he negotiates off balance by tossing out opposing thoughts on whatever issue is under discussion?

you know, maybe this was all the plan? I just remembered him saying something about using Taiwan as a bargaining chip?

U.S. President Donald Trump changed tack and agreed to honor the "one China" policy during a phone call with China's leader Xi Jinping, a major diplomatic boost for Beijing which brooks no criticism of its claim to self-ruled Taiwan.
Trump angered Beijing in December by talking to the president of Taiwan and saying the United States did not have to stick to the policy, under which Washington acknowledges the Chinese position that there is only one China and Taiwan is part of it.
A White House statement said Trump and Chinese President Xi had a lengthy phone conversation on Thursday night, Washington time.
"President Trump agreed, at the request of President Xi, to honor our 'one China' policy," the statement said.
-------

Did he clear this with Putin?

I'd like to see more than hearsay agenda driven reporting. When did he say he was not going to honor their one China policy?

-------

Get off your knees and ask the man yourself.

I'd like to see more than hearsay agenda driven reporting. When did he say he was not going to honor their one China policy?
He never did say anything. It was another manufactured attempt to undermine his presidency by the media. All he did was take a congratulatory phone call.

-------

Well I don't think many people think America having a Trade War with China is a good thing, for one thing China holds quite a substantial part of America's 20 Trillion Dollar Debt, I think China owns something like 4 Trillion Dollars of that National Debt.

If a Trade War happened, you don't want to run the risk of China taking say 1 Trillion Dollars of US National Debt they hold and dumping it on the Open Market, that would create a freak-out across the world where others who hold substantial amounts of US Dollars and US Government Bonds would start dumping those, creating a Domino Effect and the American Economy would tank very probably taking the Wall Street Stock Market with it.

It'd make the 1929 Wall Street Stock Market Crash and the 2008 collapse of Lehman Brother's look like a childrens tea party.

-------

"Did he clear this with Putin?"

The Putin comments from you Leftists are getting very, very boring now darling, please get a new script writer who can come up with some newer gags for you :smoke:

-------

Because it's really China's business, not ours? Because he'd like to do some negotiating with China and doesn't want to enter that with China furious? Because it isn't actually necessary for him to upend every foreign policy decision made in the past fifty years?
It's not caving, TN. It is called picking your battles, I think.

-------

Well I don't think many people think America having a Trade War with China is a good thing, for one thing China holds quite a substantial part of America's 20 Trillion Dollar Debt, I think China owns something like 4 Trillion Dollars of that National Debt.

If a Trade War happened, you don't want to run the risk of China taking say 1 Trillion Dollars of US National Debt they hold and dumping it on the Open Market, that would create a freak-out across the world where others who hold substantial amounts of US Dollars and US Government Bonds would start dumping those, creating a Domino Effect and the American Economy would tank very probably taking the Wall Street Stock Market with it.

It'd make the 1929 Wall Street Stock Market Crash and the 2008 collapse of Lehman Brother's look like a childrens tea party.
true. But we also could just dump the yuan. Then nothing else matters.

-------

Because it's really China's business, not ours? Because he'd like to do some negotiating with China and doesn't want to enter that with China furious? Because it isn't actually necessary for him to upend every foreign policy decision made in the past fifty years?
It's not caving, TN. It is called picking your battles, I think.
how is it not our business?

He beat around the bush on it, but I get your point.

-------

negotiations always require give and take on the side of both parties.

-------

There were quite a lot of themes (policy areas) mentioned and alluded to in that article. Of them, which "this" do you mean?

-------

Trump Announces Short-Term Plan To Reopen Government During Funding Negotiations | HuffPost

Another Trump Cave

-------

I'm pissed. really pissed he caved

-Geaux

-------

Trump Announces Short-Term Plan To Reopen Government During Funding Negotiations | HuffPost

Another Trump Cave

Too funny. That path would have produced nothing.

Now Trump, assuming the thing passes, has reopened the government. Federal employees offer huzzahs and a parade of flowers.

If the Dems play games, the government re-shuts, a national emergency is declared, and Trump gets 7 billion dollars to play with.

This isn't surrender, this is a 3 week respite.

If we don’t get national security for America, Trump will use his powers as the president, and you know what that means…It means a national emergency and the wall getting built

Forum List

Back