Turks worked up over wanting more wives

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
I don't know why they would want more than one wife. Things are expensive these days, and the wives might demand that each wants something better than the other.

panelist.jpg

An all-male panel debates whether Muslim men are free to observe their religion in Turkey, with two guests criticizing restrictions on polygamy, on the pro-government TV channel Kanal A, June 18, 2016. (photo by Kanala.com/tr)

Are Muslim men free to observe their religion in Turkey? That was the question debated June 18 on pro-government TV channel Kanal A by four male panelists. The answer was intriguing, as two guests said, “No, Muslims are not free. For example, they cannot get married according their religion. The laws of secular Turkey dictate just one wife, so Muslims cannot take a second or third. Similarly, they cannot get rid of a restaurant that serves alcohol in their neighborhood.”

Summary⎙ Print Angry about the attention LGBT pride month has received during Ramadan, some conservative Muslim men complain about discrimination against Muslims in Turkey and say that, according to their religion, they should have the right to marry more than one woman.
Author Pinar TremblayPosted June 28, 2016
The guests were bothered that the Western world tries to impose its own views as if they are universal values, and they said that whenever Muslims in Turkey speak up against this, pro-Western media in Turkey blow it out of proportion, presenting Muslims as bigots and their demands as bigotry.

The four men spoke with intensity about how Muslim men in Turkey suffer under secular laws, and how the rights of "marginal" groups (the participants argued that the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transsexual communities make up only a tiny percentage of the population) are protected, but Muslims’ sensitivities are ignored. They said all those groups have more freedom in Turkey than do Muslims.

Read more:

It's truly sad to see Kamal Attaturk's Turkey being dismantled piece by piece.

I don't know why they would want more than one wife. Things are expensive these days, and the wives might demand that each wants something better than the other.

panelist.jpg

An all-male panel debates whether Muslim men are free to observe their religion in Turkey, with two guests criticizing restrictions on polygamy, on the pro-government TV channel Kanal A, June 18, 2016. (photo by Kanala.com/tr)

Are Muslim men free to observe their religion in Turkey? That was the question debated June 18 on pro-government TV channel Kanal A by four male panelists. The answer was intriguing, as two guests said, “No, Muslims are not free. For example, they cannot get married according their religion. The laws of secular Turkey dictate just one wife, so Muslims cannot take a second or third. Similarly, they cannot get rid of a restaurant that serves alcohol in their neighborhood.”

Summary⎙ Print Angry about the attention LGBT pride month has received during Ramadan, some conservative Muslim men complain about discrimination against Muslims in Turkey and say that, according to their religion, they should have the right to marry more than one woman.
The guests were bothered that the Western world tries to impose its own views as if they are universal values, and they said that whenever Muslims in Turkey speak up against this, pro-Western media in Turkey blow it out of proportion, presenting Muslims as bigots and their demands as bigotry.

The four men spoke with intensity about how Muslim men in Turkey suffer under secular laws, and how the rights of "marginal" groups (the participants argued that the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transsexual communities make up only a tiny percentage of the population) are protected, but Muslims’ sensitivities are ignored. They said all those groups have more freedom in Turkey than do Muslims.

Read more:

The far-right uses much the same arguments, regardless of what country they live in or what religion they want to impose on their neighbors.

I was going to say something...but I won't

Thank me

panelist.jpg

Read more:

The far-right uses much the same arguments, regardless of what country they live in or what religion they want to impose on their neighbors.

I seem to be out of the loop on this one. Can you tell me what religion the far right wants to impose on everyone?

panelist.jpg

Read more:

I seem to be out of the loop on this one. Can you tell me what religion the far right wants to impose on everyone?

In the case of this article, it is their far-right notion of Islam.

panelist.jpg

Read more:

Sorry, I thought you were referring to Far Right groups elsewhere.

panelist.jpg

Read more:

Sorry, I thought you were referring to Far Right groups elsewhere.

I was making a generalization, yes :eusa_angel:

panelist.jpg

Read more:

Ataturk is rolling in his grave. Backward, Islamist country Turks are ruining Turkey.

Forum List

Back