Two Men Finally Released From Prison After Serving 42 Years For A Murder They Didn’t Commit

MarcATL

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2009
Two men finally released from prison after serving 42 years for a murder they didn’t commit

Wrongfully-convicted-800x430.png

Clifford Williams Jr. and his nephew, Hubert Myers (Photo by: Florida Dept. of Corrections)

The May 1976 death of Jeannette Williams landed two innocent men in jail for the crime. For over 40 years, Clifford Williams Jr. and his nephew, Hubert Myers have maintained their innocence, to no avail. But after the actual murderer admitted the crime to friends of the men, the accused were finally released from the Florida jail, News4JAX reported.

Williams’ roommate, Nina Marshal, who was also shot, identified the two men after saying that they came into the bedroom and fired the shots at both of them. Evidence gathered at the time, however, showed that the shots came from outside the apartment. That still wasn’t enough to discount her claims.

Meyers and Williams said that they were at a party down the street and many witnesses corroborated their alibi, but none of that evidence was brought up during the trial.

Prosecutors at the time spun a story that Williams and Myers committed the murder because of a drug the victim owed, but the only evidence was the testimony from the roommate.

“This is the first case the unit has investigated that has led to an inmate’s release,” the report said.

Two men finally released from prison after serving 42 years for a murder they didn't commit

How many of you USMB self-proclaimed conservatives and Republicans are even the list bit upset that two innocent American citizens suffered beyond measure for something they didn't commit?

Also, what should be done about it? How much money should they get for this travesty?

Two men finally released from prison after serving 42 years for a murder they didn’t commit

Clifford Williams Jr. and his nephew, Hubert Myers (Photo by: Florida Dept. of Corrections)

The May 1976 death of Jeannette Williams landed two innocent men in jail for the crime. For over 40 years, Clifford Williams Jr. and his nephew, Hubert Myers have maintained their innocence, to no avail. But after the actual murderer admitted the crime to friends of the men, the accused were finally released from the Florida jail, News4JAX reported.

Williams’ roommate, Nina Marshal, who was also shot, identified the two men after saying that they came into the bedroom and fired the shots at both of them. Evidence gathered at the time, however, showed that the shots came from outside the apartment. That still wasn’t enough to discount her claims.

Meyers and Williams said that they were at a party down the street and many witnesses corroborated their alibi, but none of that evidence was brought up during the trial.

Prosecutors at the time spun a story that Williams and Myers committed the murder because of a drug the victim owed, but the only evidence was the testimony from the roommate.

“This is the first case the unit has investigated that has led to an inmate’s release,” the report said.

Two men finally released from prison after serving 42 years for a murder they didn't commit

How many of you USMB self-proclaimed conservatives and Republicans are even the list bit upset that two innocent American citizens suffered beyond measure for something they didn't commit?

Also, what should be done about it? How much money should they get for this travesty?
And if they support republicans you would probably kill them

I knew when i saw your name attached to this thread that they were going to be black men. Your racism makes you predictable.

But they got free housing, medical care and other amenities from the state for 42 years.

I knew when i saw your name attached to this thread that they were going to be black men. Your racism makes you predictable.
Explain how this is me be racist.

Should be good.

#LOLGOP

I'm very upset. But not over this one case but the problem at large. This is nothing new, it is a problem that pervades our society in many ways!:
  • Prosecutors build cases against people framing them for things they didn't do because it looks good on their record to win cases period.
  • Police arrest, ticket and frame people just to get their quota up or because they don't like them.
  • Townships tax, fine and penalize people for things beyond their control just because they need the money.
  • Newspapers and media make baseless charges and claims just because it sells papers.
  • Politicians spend millions attacking others in government they know aren't true just because it gets them in the headlines and back to their voters at home.
The average man on the street is nothing but a pawn to be used by the power structure of our country. And laws are to be broken as far as they can until someone gets caught. What should these guys get? What price is worth most of your life? Whatever they get if anything, it won't be enough unless the people who framed them are likewise prosecuted and sent to prison.

Justice cant be perfect. I hate it for these guys and their families. I couldnt imagine how they have felt for all these years.. frankly i dont want to.
I hope they are compensated adequately

Should be good.

#LOLGOP
I just did. Youre a racist, so when i saw your thread title, i immediately knew their skin color. You racists are predictable.

I just did. Youre a racist, so when i saw your thread title, i immediately knew their skin color. You racists are predictable.
If that is what consists of an explanation to your meth-addled brain, then you're a lot dumber than I originally thought.

#LOLGOP #TooFunny #CLASSIC

These stories are always tragic. What bothers me the most is when there are some who lie about people and send them up the river, and they sleep at night. How in the F...

I've always believed, other than murder, the biggest sin is bearing false witness. I don't know how God sees it, and I hope I might be able to ask him some day, but, I hope this particular sin is punished severely.

So...that makes incarcerating them for 42 years all ok, right?

I'm very upset. But not over this one case but the problem at large. This is nothing new, it is a problem that pervades our society in many ways!:
  • Prosecutors build cases against people framing them for things they didn't do because it looks good on their record to win cases period.
  • Police arrest, ticket and frame people just to get their quota up or because they don't like them.
  • Townships tax, fine and penalize people for things beyond their control just because they need the money.
  • Newspapers and media make baseless charges and claims just because it sells papers.
  • Politicians spend millions attacking others in government they know aren't true just because it gets them in the headlines and back to their voters at home.
The average man on the street is nothing but a pawn to be used by the power structure of our country. And laws are to be broken as far as they can until someone gets caught. What should these guys get? What price is worth most of your life? Whatever they get if anything, it won't be enough unless the people who framed them are likewise prosecuted and sent to prison.
This is Amerika today. Sad, but true.

Clearly the rich, famous, and connected get a different level of justice than the rest of us. However many Americans cling to the absurd belief this country offers 'liberty and justice for all.'

How does the OP explain OJ and Smollett? Does he think only black men are wrongly imprisoned?

Why wouldn't we be upset, you dumb ass? Innocent people shouldn't go to jail......as far as compensation......They should get free, first class healthcare for life, for themselves and their immediate family, a free home up to the value of about 500,000 dollars, tax free status for the rest of their life, and at minimum....a million dollars for each year spent in prison.....tax free.......and all the counseling and other help they may need...

You are an idiot....

Should be good.

#LOLGOP
All cries of racial oppression only comes from towns run by democrats.. and from your post you are a black democrat which kinda makes your iq super low or you are brainwashed

They should sue the shit out of Florida, If illegal means where used to obtain a conviction anyone involved should be prosecuted.

I do agree, this shouldn't be about race. I am willing to bet, money (and power) is a FAR bigger indicator of how these cases end than race. Maybe this wasn't the case 50 years ago, but today, money is power.

Imagine for a moment, Oprah went into a rage and whacked someone. Do any of us think she'd do hard time? She is a special case, she has cash AND immense power and fame. Deadly in any society. At worst, she'd do a short stint and get a pardon. Now we know, some poor white trash would get the chair for the same crime.

There was (is?) an organization dealing with the wrongly accused. One of the released members, a black man, was doing an interview in Canada. Being Canada, they immediately spoke to him about race, and he was not buying this argument, he told the interviewer, I paraphrase, "race isn't as important as socio-economic status".

He then went on to tell him he shared a prison with wrongly accused white men and listed some who they were fighting for currently. He also listed some in Canada who were white and wrongly accused, like these men, doing many years. I think Paul Morin comes to mind. He did many years for a horrific crime, DNA cleared him.

Anyways, I do believe there can be cases of prejudice of all kinds, race, religion, sexuality, even gender, however, I'm convinced ones economic status is the largest indicator of your chances.

Forum List

Back