TX lawmaker uses nasty slur for Katrina victims.

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
BonnenImage-638x505.jpg

Dennis Bonnen (R-TX-HD 25), also President Pro Tempore of the TX House of Representatives:

Texas House of Representatives : Representative Bonnen, Dennis

I will just let the video speak for itself:

“I want to be clear,” he said. “A Katrina child is far different. We can make jokes and pick on Louisiana and it’s fun and all that, but it’s a hell of a lot different bringing a kid over from Louisiana than a child who’s just made a treacherous journey from South America. … We had to have a teacher who could do coonass and English, but here we have to do Spanish and English, maybe, and there’s a higher marker.”

Here is what dictionary.com says about coonass:

Coonass | Define Coonass at Dictionary.com

This vulgar slang term is used with disparaging intent and is perceived as insulting. It is most likely not connected with the derogatory use of coon to refer to a black person.

The LA Legislature condemned the term all that way back in 1981, 33 years ago:

Nola.com's Printer-Friendly Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, this might be much ado about nothing, but once again, we have a Republican who just hast to say this kind of stuff, what? And that with a party that already is having massive problems with many various and sundry groups of people.... but then again, I don't know if I or anyone else should be condemning this guy until we all get a little more information.

So, some questions for those who are from Lousiana or who known Louisiana really well:

1.) Is "coonass" a racial term, or just a perjorative against Louisianans?

2.) Since this Rep. from TX referred to "Coonass" as a language, exactly what group of people would be speaking said language?

3.) Would you say "coonass"?

Just curious...

Have fun and remember, if at all possible, be nice to each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Compared to a Democrat President promising "I'll have them ******* voting Democrat for the next 200 years"

Forum List

Back